Nest Learning Thermostat installation

veeg33

Any heating engineer here in the forum that happy to give some advice? 

Purchased a Nest 3rd gen learning thermostat. I'm good with most DIY at home but this is a bit tricky as I'm not too sure where things are. 

My hot water tank has a junction box, Danfoss Wb12, I have a Danfoss programmer Tp9000ma-si and Worcester Greenstar Ri boiler. 

Junction box is next to the water tank upstairs, programmer is downstairs next to the stairs and boiler is in the garage. 

I've seen many examples of people replacing the programmer with the Heat Link and have the Nest thermostat plugged into a USB power somewhere else. But i wanted to replace the programmer with the Nest thermostat and have the heat link hidden somewhere (assuming I can wire it next to the junction box in the airing cupboard?) 

I have removed to cover on the programmer and took pic of the wiring (1st pic below) . 

Then i went upstairs to remove the junction box cover and took another picture and try if I can match the cables. (pic 2). It has 12 points, however the white cable that goes into the junction box doesn't seems to match the cables that goes into the programmer hence I'm stuck. 

Is my thought process correct? 

IMG_20181124_103002.jpg

IMG_20181124_103442.jpg

38 minutes ago, Paul K said:

Good job...i had to mess around with mine to get it to all work properly....now its all active and has been for a year.....

It's pretty easy once I've tracked the cables going into the original programmer. Got a quote this morning from a 'Pro Installer' near me, £99.00 including VAT.......That's extra £99 in the pot for mods on my zed B)

• Like 1

I installed Hive in my house last year so I could keep an eye on how hot the wife has the heating whilst im at work. :lol:

Luckily I have a combi boiler and so literally there are just 4 wires to the hive - live, earth, boiler on, boiler off. Took me 5 mins to setup.

It is great though, I have had Samsung Smartthings for many years now and I can set a rule so when the wife leaves the house it turns the heating right down, then turns it back on when she gets home.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rabbitstew said:

I installed Hive in my house last year so I could keep an eye on how hot the wife has the heating whilst im at work. :lol:

Luckily I have a combi boiler and so literally there are just 4 wires to the hive - live, earth, boiler on, boiler off. Took me 5 mins to setup.

It is great though, I have had Samsung Smartthings for many years now and I can set a rule so when the wife leaves the house it turns the heating right down, then turns it back on when she gets home.

I've looked into Hive before I then moved to Nest after some research. I found out yesterday I have a S-Plan heating/hot water system (I think). And I like the idea of the Nest thermostat is wired to 12v rather than batteries. Hive have 3 devices whilst the Nest have only 2. For £40 more (Screwfix), I can have the LCD display turns on every time it senses movement. If I were to install it again, I would say 1 hour to 1 hour 30mins.

Pretty cool stuff really, this is my 1st smart device and I've been looking into other smart devices. I've just purchased a set of 3 wireless socket adaptors. Wanted to buy the Echo Dot too but delivery is Jan 2019 hence that has stopped me for being more lazy..... B) 

46 minutes ago, veeg33 said:

Pretty cool stuff really, this is my 1st smart device and I've been looking into other smart devices. I've just purchased a set of 3 wireless socket adaptors. Wanted to buy the Echo Dot too but delivery is Jan 2019 hence that has stopped me for being more lazy..... B) 

It does get quite expensive when you start adding devices, although you can usually shop around and use other brands etc. as long as they use the same protocol. The main thing is to decide which hub you will use, whether it will be nest or another brand. Each device seems to want you to use their hub etc, but all are compatible usually. I use the smart things hub, with their motion & door sensors. I know if any external doors are open/closed, incl garage etc. Motion sensors are handy to automatically turn on lights etc. Sockets are great for things like turning on the xmas tree lights this time of year.

The door sensors are handy also for catching people out. Like the cat feeder lady who charged us for 20minute cat visits whilst we were on holiday when in reality she was in & gone within 5 minutes.. :lol:

• Like 1

I went for Nest, because i wanted something that was more globally recognised, not developed by British Gas.

The automatic home/away assist based on your phone location is great...you have to make sure the app is on everyones phone though

I've also got a LightwaveRF system for lighting control.  

recently bought an amazon echo plus, which does have some home hub applications (it will control Philips HUE without a further hub) and will happily integrate with my nest and lightwaveRF dimmers.

next you want to look into the IFTTT (if this then that) app for your phone...you can program, condition based subroutines for your Nest and other devices....for example, if the outside temp gets to low, like below zero, my nest automatically bumps the temp up by a degree to keep things toasty!!

• Like 1

Interesting stuff guys...... I can see this is going to expensive. I like the ideal of motion sensor for doors. My house has alarm but not at the rear garden door. Will looks into this further, which I did earlier. The MiHouse I think by energinie, a hub to control everything and integration to Nest. I guess the possibility is endless with this technology, replacing all the switches and sockets with smart ones and have  few Alexa in the house. 

Edited by veeg33