370 Steering Lock

Dicky

Well Nissan customer Services ran true to form and washed their hands of my problem on the basis I had not demonstrate brand loyalty in that I bought the car second hand from a private individual rather than a Nissan garage and secondly because my lock failure wasn’t the same as the original lock failures.

Now I bought my 350 from a Nissan dealer and had it serviced for 12 yrs,  my daughter 370 has been serviced by Nissan for 8 yrs. 

The original locks replaced on recall around 2013  were done because of to much grease applied to the mechanical parts of the lock while my fault appears to be an electro mechanical fault where by the lock isn’t feeding back positional information to BCM.

Thin ice stuff to me!

I have escalated the issue within Nissan CS on the basis that the lock appears no fo for purpose. I base this on the obviouse facts that lots of UK, European and USA cars have many many lock failures. There have been several locks with different part numbers issued by Nissan, the ones I’m aware of are, 48700-JF00B and C apparently these locks were replaced by lock 47800-JF00D these were back in 2013. Lock D was super ended by another iteration 48700-1NC2A sometime after 2013 and the new lock quoted for my car is 48700-1NC1B.

Heaven only knows how many others I’ve missed out.

In my opinion a steering lock should last the life of the car not 3 to 5 yrs (I read of another owner who having his lock replaced under recall had the new one fail 3 yrs later) for which Nissan took nonresponsibility. 

If anyone knows of other lock numbers please feed them back as it would strengthen not only my case but that of others yet to fail.

Unfortunately I know what a brick wall looks like. You just can’t get through to them, there a huge lump of talking marshmallow that soaks up your complaints and when your finished repeats it’s pre recorded message time & time again.

If you ask for a line manager name to escultae your complaint they refer you to the Motoring Ombudsman then revert to marshmallow mode again.

Im thinking of raiseing it as an interest article in the Which magazine and will write to the ombudsman.

• Like 1

If it had been me I would go straight to the CEO, mentioning that this a known issue - refer to their "Vehicle campaign" letter; the relevant info in Wayne370's post , the internet/forums littered with the problem and that if you not receive a satisfactory outcome you will be escalating your complaint to WHICH/WATCHDOG as an expectation to pay some £2k fix for a known problem, you and your daughter having been long-term customers of their products that is now off the scale in terms of customer satisfaction.  It is, sadly, often the only way in my experience to get satisfaction on several occasions, to avoid this: :bang:

https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-8976

I have a direct dial phone number to the Nissan CS managing directors office.

The office is headed up by a guy called Michael Flynn and his associate is a lady called Amber.

However, I doubt if they would discuss your claim in detail with you as they only become involved once your case has been escalated and you have a case number and they then become your case manager.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old post but mine has just packed up. Had to get the car recovered to Nissan dealer. I've read through the posts on here and gained some valuable info so i'll try this with mine, don't fancy being charged £2k when a few wacks with a hammer and pulled fuse can cure it!