Best Car Wash Shampoo Test

davey_83

2 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

Depends what you mean by "best".

From the thumbnail, there's a number of different products in there designed to do very different things (in addition to just clean). So before I place any bets (or watch the video) I'd like "best" to be defined, please. :lol:

He grouped the products into 3 categories, then came out with a best overall taking many factors into consideration.

Along with orange buckets, water too....

Skipped to a few bits, just a ridiculous video. 15 mins in he says something along the lines 'the winner is valet+ because its cheap per litre' - is that it then, the winner is because its cheap?! Then at the end he is citing reasons to reject Gyeon Essence and he says the cap is broken?! What is this clown going on about!

Jon is pretty well on the money for most of his product tests and reviews.....he is usually very thorough and sometimes when it comes to the overall winner of things, where its soooooo close between two products, he does have to get picky, and sometmes it is a stupid thing that separates the two , such as a packaging failure.

he doesn't habitually use B&Q orange buckets for his car cleaning i believe!!  he needed to do a lot of side by side "foaminess" tests and B&Q buckets are 0.95p .

• Like 1

Yes suds mean nothing, all it does do is give you some sort of visual indication of what you have laid down on the car, but if you are doing it properly you should be able to do that anyway. 

I just don't get the point in the whole package broken thing, just a stupid thing to decide a winner on. If he cannot pick a winner based on performance he shouldn't bother doing the test. I have had the same product before and the cap erm wasn't broken, which one should I go for then? He has to man up and pick a winner and stop including issues that aren't actually issues :lol:

• Like 1

Tbf if you had two detailing sprays that both performed very well and after a few months the one spray nozzle broke, you'd have a clear mindset as to which one you'd possibly look to buy again. Yes the spray nozzle is easily replaceable, but that's besides the point. 

To be honest, I wouldn't give it a second thought unless it happened consistently with one product/manufacturer.

It would be a different matter if the product ate through the bottle or something like that, but one isolated minor issue wouldn't even register. I would, if the product leaked from new, contact the supplier for a replacement and then immediately forget about the failure, tbh.

Edited by ilogikal1

The comparison with a spray bottle is fundamentally wrong, in that the lid does not impact the performance of the shampoo (which is what is on trial here) whereas a spray device the lid is important and impacts performance. May as well have scored each product on what colour the pack is, how nice the fonts are, how trendy the name sounds. 

So if he did another review and the Car Chem lid broke straight away, would something else win and thus be recommended, despite it being the same product? The broken lid is very likely to be a one off and not symptomatic of the product. It is farcical to use that to decide a products performance.

If the products are 'very close' in terms of performance it means there is a difference, they are not the same. If he is a good reviewer he needs to be able to differentiate that and make a call on it, if not, then whats the point in reviewing in the first place.

Edited by coldel

32 minutes ago, coldel said:

So if he did another review and the Car Chem lid broke straight away, would something else win and thus be recommended, despite it being the same product? The broken lid is very likely to be a one off and not symptomatic of the product. It is farcical to use that to decide a products performance.

Fast becoming one of those threads........

Yes, you can only make judgements on the circumstances at the time when looking to review. How many times have we seen car reviews (old top gears) and the car sent from the manufacturer developes a fault? Yes, this is taken into account against its overall performance.

Edited by davey_83

My point being, instead of actually making a marginal call on the actual product performance - which is what is the point of the video and the whole reason of the video maker being in it, if he cannot make that decision leave it to people that can. Why even trust other conclusions he has come to?

Yes you can only test whats in front of you, if a car develops a fault i.e. it stops working it will count against it, of course it will. If the car in the test turned up on a trailer where the trailer had scratches down the side and a light missing would you score the car down? Of course not. The lid not working has no impact on the performance of the product which is what the test is about. I am not sure why this isn't obvious? If we were testing the packaging of the products, it would have lost, but we are not, hence its not relevant at all.

3 hours ago, coldel said:

The lid not working has no impact on the performance of the product which is what the test is about. 

Incorrect, the test wasn't purely about performance it also took into consideration cost per wash, availability, smell, product consistency, lubricity. 

Ultimately this fella has taken the time to conduct a very comprehensive test, and if you've done similar and came out with different results then that's fair play. If you haven't then I believe slack needs to be cut and if we all did that, folks efforts would be more appreciated.

• Like 1