Brexit again

Jetpilot

3 minutes ago, coldel said:

As a global business you wouldnt just make a snap decision. You have to plan a number of scenarios, see how the landscape pans out, then execute accordingly. The fact they have signed a deal with the EU shows that us being outside come next month will have counted against us in any decision in terms of where to site production. Their deal means its more advantageous to build in Europe, so off they go.

Except they aren't building in Europe, not one of the Japanese factories is moving to Europe, the trade deal and decline in sales is what's started this. Us being in the EU might have delayed the move but that's it.

Another defeat later then...TM is doing so well :lol: To be honest what did we expect? If we could unilaterally leave it then there would be no point to having it in reality. Have to chuckle still at Liam Fox saying 'leaving the EU will be the easiest thing in human history' - is anyone still taking him seriously?

• Haha 1

With all the links you post you really dont know much about it do you, I guess thats the problem with just regurgitating social media and soundbites you like the sound of rather than expressing a thought of youre own, an empty kettle makes the most noise I suppose.

We will leave the Eu on March 29th without a deal as that is the LEGALLY binding position, a motion in parliament does NOT change that, the only way that WILL change is if a deal is agreed, an extension GRANTED or article 50 revoked or some other circumstance parliament can carry out but that is beyond my scope.

Division, clear the lobbies.........

Time to grip our ankles with the Eu after todays coming votes I feel.

Not going to bother replying to your personal attacks, you're not worth it.

However, as Bercow pointed out yesterday, there are mechanisms for legislating and it is now totally inconceivable that the House of Commons would permit No Deal. 

Don't remember the referendum being "LEGALLY" binding, but hey, democracy stopped in 2016, right?

*your own

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ekona said:

Oh tell a lie, I missed when the ECoJ said we could revoke A50 whenever we wanted. My bad, ignore my post above. 

I was going to post this: 

https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2018-12/cp180191en.pdf

I know it's not DailyMail or Express, sorry about that!

Me and my links... What do I know. 

56 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Oh tell a lie, I missed when the ECoJ said we could revoke A50 whenever we wanted. My bad, ignore my post above. 

The vote to reject no deal under any circumstances that happened last night was fairly definite as well TBF :lol:

EU have said they are open to an extension but I cant see what its going to achieve when they have also said they are not prepared to renegotiate anything (they actually said this well before Christmas but whatevs)

Votes this evening are very interesting:

Amendment H, tabled by Independent Group MP Sarah Wollaston and which seeks an Article 50 extension to stage a second referendum with Remain and Parliament's preferred Brexit option on the ballot paper.
Amendment I, tabled by Labour's Hilary Benn and which seeks to allow MPs to take control of the Brexit process.
Amendment E, Labour's amendment which notes that Parliament has "decisively" rejected both Theresa May's deal and no deal and calls for a delay to Brexit "to provide parliamentary time for this House to find a majority for a different approach".
Amendment J, Labour MP Chris Bryant's amendment to stop a third meaningful vote on Mrs May's deal.

H I reckon will pass, I would be fascinating if it did and would almost certainly lead to a GE, E is basically calling for a GE and J seems obvious to me, how much more time will be wasted having the same discussion?

2 minutes ago, docwra said:

The vote to reject no deal under any circumstances that happened last night was fairly definite as well TBF :lol:

EU have said they are open to an extension but I cant see what its going to achieve when they have also said they are not prepared to renegotiate anything (they actually said this well before Christmas but whatevs)

Votes this evening are very interesting:

Amendment H, tabled by Independent Group MP Sarah Wollaston and which seeks an Article 50 extension to stage a second referendum with Remain and Parliament's preferred Brexit option on the ballot paper.
Amendment I, tabled by Labour's Hilary Benn and which seeks to allow MPs to take control of the Brexit process.
Amendment E, Labour's amendment which notes that Parliament has "decisively" rejected both Theresa May's deal and no deal and calls for a delay to Brexit "to provide parliamentary time for this House to find a majority for a different approach".
Amendment J, Labour MP Chris Bryant's amendment to stop a third meaningful vote on Mrs May's deal.

H I reckon will pass, I would be fascinating if it did and would almost certainly lead to a GE, E is basically calling for a GE and J seems obvious to me, how much more time will be wasted having the same discussion?

This is a great summary. 

How I see this vote against no deal brexit, is that it is what is forcing the parliament into a decision - any decision apart from not doing anything and falling out on 29th.

This means that they now need to do one of the following things - accept May's deal or get an extension - there's no other option.

May's deal is probably not going through, so extension is the only possibility left.

Now what the extension is for is where it gets interesting. Is it for a GE, for a referendum or for trying to renegotiate with the block who won't negotiate any more, or if the impossible happens and May's deal gets somehow voted in, the extension could only be needed for legislating May's withdrawal agreement.

But that's basically it. Depending on what is the reason for the extension, will (I assume) define the time or length of the extension.

7 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

With all the links you post you really dont know much about it do you, I guess thats the problem with just regurgitating social media and soundbites you like the sound of rather than expressing a thought of youre own, an empty kettle makes the most noise I suppose.

We will leave the Eu on March 29th without a deal as that is the LEGALLY binding position, a motion in parliament does NOT change that, the only way that WILL change is if a deal is agreed, an extension GRANTED or article 50 revoked or some other circumstance parliament can carry out but that is beyond my scope.

Division, clear the lobbies.........

Time to grip our ankles with the Eu after todays coming votes I feel.

JP, you’ve been here long enough to know that if a post is not aggressive, rude, insulting, racist etc then just bloody ignore it.  It’s clear you don’t like the links that Torqen posts and by the number of times you’ve complained it’s quite possible you don’t like Adrian either.  Everybody is not going to like everyone else, we all get that and most of us undertand that too so please just wind it in.  We know is this is a subject you are passionate about so please carry on the debate in a civil manner. The alternative will be to lock the thread. Thank you.

I've just clicked back through the last couple of pages and other than Torqen's post above disagreeing with JP, all other posts are just a copy/paste of social media/news to bait replies. Try it for yourself, go look. If the point of this topic is to discuss Brexit then I'd argue JP has at least tried to contribute more (other than the above outburst) on the whole glrnet. 

Not agreeing with the "With all the links you post you really dont know much about it do you" dig by the way!

1 minute ago, Sargara said:

I've just clicked back through the last couple of pages and other than Torqen's post above disagreeing with JP, all other posts are just a copy/paste of social media/news to bait replies. Try it for yourself, go look. If the point of this topic is to discuss Brexit then I'd argue JP has at least tried to contribute more (other than the above outburst) on the whole glrnet. 

Not agreeing with the "With all the links you post you really dont know much about it do you" dig by the way!

Am I'm missing a sarcasm tag or something? This is the most confusing post in this 30 page thread

• Confused 1

Not sure I follow Maggz? I was just saying all of the posts from Torqen are just screenshots of facebook/twitter or "i'll leave this here" links thats why JP took the bait with the above.

Edited by Sargara

6 minutes ago, Sargara said:

Not sure I follow Maggz? I was just saying most of the posts are just screenshots of facebook/twitter or "i'll leave this here" links thats why JP took the bait with the above.

I went back 6 pages... Either you don't know what most means or we're not looking at the same thread. There was like 4 memes and 2 Twitter screenshots (from the top of my head - did not write down an official count!). The rest were articles from political institutions, media outlets, etc. 

Part of discussing a topic is actually supporting claims with resources and hopefully credible ones. 

Just because someone only types things without providing anything else, does not mean he contributed more. 

Unless... You're counting key strokes as contribution?!

Edited by Maggz

To be honest the whole thread is full of conjecture, articles, social media, personal opinion based on nothing but personal experience, opinion based on background reading and so on and so forth. Remainers find the head in the sand attitude of Leavers infuriating, Leavers find the Remainers constant views on the negatives infuriating. You either tolerate it or do not take part. Sure some posts are just links, the poster is bringing it to the attention of those on the thread, it is just stimulus for the discussion. 

I think generally the best approach to this topic is read a post, take 10 deep breaths, imagine you are at the pub with these people and they have just bought you a beer, be objective, then reply....

Edited by coldel

1 minute ago, Sargara said:

But there is no discussion if the post doesn't give any input other than a screenshot, or a news article link. Should this topic be us all copy/pasting different sources at each other?

The discussion is the whole thread btw. The whole 30 page thread. What you're talking about is a post, and yes, a post can contain useful information from a 3rd party credible source, and is considered part of the discussion if it's on topic. 

Now... If anyone posts a knitting guide here from Facebook, then I'd say that's definitely not part of the discussion. 

2 minutes ago, coldel said:

To be honest the whole thread is full of conjecture ........

Not in all cases, pretty sure I havent posted a meme, link or article, everything Ive posted has been authored by me on the basis of a reasonable understanding of politics and economics and what Ive learned running an international business for 15+ years, Maggz also seems to be capable of independent opinions too.  

Whats frustrating to me is that actual well supported and individual arguments get lost in the sea of crap and people banging the same drum over and over but thats not just here, thats Brexit in general :lol: