Brexit again

Jetpilot

21 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

In all honesty no-one actually knows what is going to happen after the 29th march, all i know is i will get up get dressed and go to work. then at the end of the day i am going to go home and have some tea! :lol:

I think that there in is the problem :lol: government squabbling like kids in a playground over whose ball it is for the last two years has resulted in net progress of zero. We look an utter shambles to the EU and the rest of the world :wacko:

• Like 1

On 04/02/2019 at 14:50, Ekona said:

This is why the public shouldn’t be trusted with referendums :lol:

I strongly suspect we’ll see a last minute extension to A50 a week before the deadline. Just a gut feeling. 

It's not necessary to remove referendums, but as they're not legally binding and are advisory only, the elected officials need to have the balls to go against what was voted, if they think it's against the country interest. 

But parties are more concerned with losing votes than anything else so they take referendum results like gospel which is retarded.

I mean racial segregation and slavery in the US would never get abolished if you did what the people wanted. Does that mean those 2 changes we're bad? 

Same with women's voting rights, was that a bad thing? 

I hope there will be an extension to A50 tho, as there's too much legislation missing and logistic and operational issues are so big currently that the impacts on the economy and jobs will be massive, and they don't need to be

• Sad 1

Just going to leave this here:

David Davis:

"There is a proper role for referendums in constitutional change, but only if done properly. If it is not done properly, it can be a dangerous tool. The Chairman of the Public Administration Committee, who is no longer in the Chamber, said that Clement Attlee—who is, I think, one of the Deputy Prime Minister's heroes—famously described the referendum as the device of demagogues and dictators. We may not always go as far as he did, but what is certain is that pre-legislative referendums of the type the Deputy Prime Minister is proposing are the worst type of all.

Referendums should be held when the electorate are in the best possible position to make a judgment. They should be held when people can view all the arguments for and against and when those arguments have been rigorously tested. In short, referendums should be held when people know exactly what they are getting. So legislation should be debated by Members of Parliament on the Floor of the House, and then put to the electorate for the voters to judge.

We should not ask people to vote on a blank sheet of paper and tell them to trust us to fill in the details afterwards. For referendums to be fair and compatible with our parliamentary process, we need the electors to be as well informed as possible and to know exactly what they are voting for. Referendums need to be treated as an addition to the parliamentary process, not as a substitute for it."

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmhansrd/vo021126/debtext/21126-17.htm

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 14:50, Ekona said:

This is why the public shouldn’t be trusted with referendums :lol:

I

Quite right. Referendums have their place but you can't run a country on referendums.  What next, abolish the Monarchy, Independence for England, bring back hanging, leave NATO, get my drift.

Pete

Tbh you would hope they do, given the amount of different places that things can come from and the nasties they could potentially bring with them. Seems eminently sensible to me.

And tbh the pallet issue a non-thing, all they'll do is draft a statement saying that all pallets from the UK currently or will meet the EU regs, so nothing will change at all. Much like everything else to do with Brexit, it'll all carry on just the same as before.

Watched the news last night, it seems Brexit is not that important any more to anyone - apart from the usual government money wasting.

Sounds like there will be a 'temporary' delay voted in soon. I wonder if this delay will end up like the 'temporary' increase in VAT to 20%, or the national speed limit which was only suppose to last 4 months :).

kick the can down the road
phrase of kick

1. INFORMALUS
    put off confronting a difficult issue or making an important decision, typically on a continuing basis.
    "I appreciate that he doesn't want to raise taxes, but sooner or later you have to stop kicking the can down the road"
  • Like 1

On 26/02/2019 at 13:15, Jetpilot said:

^^^ How did we ever survive before :scare:

At the risk of feeding deliberate provocation:

Well, when we won the war, we set a precedent, no more wars, keep a close relationship with Europe, trade, military, economics, law and order, no more despots, no more nazi right wing politics, no more bigotry or racial inequality.

Then, form a union that guarantees this and pulls the “UK” from the depths of economic despair and disaster, like the EU, then make most things fair, know what ye’ve got, not wish for the unknown and make hay while the sunshine’s.

Don't destabilise the most stable democracy in the world by pandering to bigoted, anti immigration proposals such as Brexit offers.

safeguard jobs in Tyneside, Swindon, Midlands and beyond, keep us part of the deal with Japan that will see no tariffs on Japanese imports to Europe, so we can keep their factories here.  Try and avoid Aviva and RBS, transferring huge assets to EU countries with no prospect of coming back to the “UK”.  Stop “UK” institutions moving jobs, (Sony, Panasonic etc), to Europeand beyond, (Dyson) etc, etc, etc

ive no idea how “survival” will look as we wander off into the bigger world, that is waiting to bite a nation with no negotiable position. 

:thumbs:

Edited by The G Man

As I said, at the risk of feeding etc., 

Can you tell me how I’ll be better off, Brexiting?   It’ll be a first 

And you don’t know what I voted for, but it was certainly to remain in Europe, there’s a bone for ye :thumbs:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The G Man said:

And you don’t know what I voted for, but it was certainly to remain in Europe,

As a staunch supporter and pro debater for independence in the Scottish referendum thread, it would have been pretty ironic had you voted no and as pointed out many times in that thread, Scottish membership to the EU was never a given, so you would have been leaving the EU :wacko:

But to summarise:

As a Scot you are not happy with Westminster being in "control" of Scotland, I am not happy with the EU being in "control" of Westminster and just as you believed Scotland would be fine without England, I believe the UK (eventually) will be fine without the EU, so we both wanted the same result, independence.