Brexit again

Jetpilot

On 16/01/2019 at 08:54, coldel said:

Am I the only one considering blocking or unfriending people on social media? I use FB mainly for keeping tabs on car stuff, meets etc. but have to put up with certain people on there who are lovely people constantly just sharing Memes with all sorts of crap on them. Things like welcoming a no deal brexit when they have not even spent one minute reading the WTO rules. If we move to the WTO rules (we are already part of the WTO through the EU) it doesn't just happen, we have to agree our schedules of operations which all the WTO members have to agree to - so are we 'taking back control' well to a degree, but we still have to agree how we operate with an economic bloc called the WTO instead of the EU moving forwards. As much as some people with a very simple view of the world wont like it, trade is a global 'thing' which no amount of flag waving or chest beating will get them away from. 

Not only that but Taiwan challenged our proposed schedules so it seems there's another negotiation which will have to take place, this time for WTO tarrif rules

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1PA2TP

20 hours ago, coldel said:

I could easily do that, but some people could get funny about it. One is a guy who lives in Teeside who is the dad of my wifes good mate, I don't want to get into a back and forth about it on social media. I think best thing is just unfriend and ignore or whatever the button is.

I think you can go to his profile and unfollow him, meaning you're still friends, you just won't see his posts. 

Doesn't prevent him from going off in comments on your post tho

37 minutes ago, Maggz said:

Not only that but Taiwan challenged our proposed schedules so it seems there's another negotiation which will have to take place, this time for WTO tarrif rules

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1PA2TP

This will come up a fair bit, the UK wants to simply 'copy paste' its schedules from the EU to itself within the WTO. The issue is going to be that we will be effectively demanding what the EU demanded, but we are not the EU and a much smaller entity with reduced economic leverage. If we do end up going down a real no deal route the other WTO countries will definitely pay more attention to our submission (which Reuters cite is just a training exercise if you like).

17 minutes ago, coldel said:

This will come up a fair bit, the UK wants to simply 'copy paste' its schedules from the EU to itself within the WTO. The issue is going to be that we will be effectively demanding what the EU demanded, but we are not the EU and a much smaller entity with reduced economic leverage. If we do end up going down a real no deal route the other WTO countries will definitely pay more attention to our submission (which Reuters cite is just a training exercise if you like).

It should be simple but it won't be. The EU is a large market and can dictate a lot of things, I assume their schedules are therefore a lot better for the EU compared to schedules of non EU countries. 

UK copy pasting probably pi**ed off a few people as they want better conditions for themselves when trading with the UK, so changes and challenges from more countries is likely.

1 minute ago, Maggz said:

It should be simple but it won't be. The EU is a large market and can dictate a lot of things, I assume their schedules are therefore a lot better for the EU compared to schedules of non EU countries. 

UK copy pasting probably pi**ed off a few people as they want better conditions for themselves when trading with the UK, so changes and challenges from more countries is likely.

No no, you are wrong, it will be a formality, just like 2 years ago when pro-exit politicians told us exiting the EU would be a formality and we would be signing trade deals by 2020 :lol: 

(Am just being sarcastic before anyone jumps on me with serious responses)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

Doesnt look like the EU is doing Germany & France much good as according to many sources they are both on the brink of recession.

Probably because so much of their investment is in the UK and we are about to go start the shock wave 

Although imagine how funny it would be if all these European companies that invest money and run vast amounts of our airports/trains/energy/post services etc

decided on 30th march to pull all their assets out of the country and stop operating in the UK how ****ed we would be 

12 month challenge

Image result for hitachi train kings cross

Image result for kings cross station 1980s

tongue in cheek joke calm down JP

Edited by StevoD

You mean the ones that voted us into the single market before you were even born, how dare they have a vote and say again :scare:

We are f***** anyway according to you, it cant get any worse can it :snack: 

Late edit to yours: perfectly calm thanks, just responding to your hysteria *tongue in cheek of course ;) 

Edited by Jetpilot

Sputnik news of course B)

As i said many sources, none which you would recognise as it doesnt suit, i think the "ignore" button is going to be put to good use on here too :thumbs: :wave:

But go on, you can entertain me with some tin foil hat nonsense to discredit the link:

https://www.businessinsider.com/germany-and-italy-recessions-as-european-economy-slumps-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

Edited by Jetpilot

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

That’s like running an engine with no oil, just to see how long it lasts before it blows up and needs a rebuild. 

... and then we can stick a small block Chevy in and look forward to miles of smiles :)

ETA

Not sure if it's that simple but it sounds like a plan B to me 

• Like 1

Going back and saying no deal means we then have to go to the WTO and create a new deal with them, then once agreed with the WTO we have to trade with the EU, possibly create a trade deal with them after our own government has voted down the deal they negotiated with us. I think we need to clarify that no deal doesn't mean we are free and off and running, we still need to thrash out a deal, but with a different organisation (with more members who are more likely to vote against us). Thats all assuming our own parliament can agree what our trading deal under the WTO is, which I very much doubt. 

5 minutes ago, coldel said:

In case anyone advocating a no deal is interested, here is what no deal means and who we are dealing with and what we need to agree to:

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/fact2_e.htm

Thanks Col, I'll read that later - it's over to PH for me for the fun with Diane et al on QT ...

9 hours ago, Ekona said:

That’s like running an engine with no oil, just to see how long it lasts before it blows up and needs a rebuild. 

A good analogy and to tweak it slightly its a perfect description of the current Eu imho, it needs some oil or it will break, the problem is the people who run that engine wont top it up, they are convinced that engine will run forever no matter what poor mods they throw at it and some of the major components are near breaking point, maybe even swap out some of the duff components that are just costing money. A good service and decent map could see that engine running for years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Actually if Labour had put the right Milliband in place one wonders where we might be...

David M's not a bad bloke (I've met him) and it is a pity he's not still in British politics. His brother on the other hand, is not and it's a pity he is. Just my opinion !

2 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

David M's not a bad bloke (I've met him) and it is a pity he's not still in British politics. His brother on the other hand, is not and it's a pity he is. Just my opinion !

Couldn't agree more, Ed was a complete disaster, had no authority and could never have been trusted to run this country. Was completely bemused David didn't get in, must have been Tory conspirators fixing the result!