Brexit again

Jetpilot

:lol: Good ol' Sturgeon, still clinging on in there to that dream! 

Can't say I blame her in fairness, after all that goal is the only reason she has a job really. I've no issues with the SNP putting forward plans for IndyRef2 in about 20-30 years time whatsoever, although you'd think that one look at the mess Brexit is causing and they might well want to think again. If the UK is going to struggle in the world on its own, then you can only imagine how difficult it would be for a country with the relative limits of Scotland (and I mean that with no disrespect, before G-Man jumps on me). I genuinely fear for any country that does not have the resources of the USA or China striking out on their own.

I'd also have no problem with a Reverse-Brexit Vote 2 in another 20-30 years, btw.

9 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

I watched it unfurl on Sky News, the supporters of TM said it was a victory, the no confidence said it was a victory and labour still say they want an election, so absolutely a waste of time, except she didnt get voted out!

Yes a bit of a political farce, she was never going to lose that became very clear throughout yesterday. Some common sense finally prevailed i.e. a no deal and WTO is a terrible route to take for this country and puts many jobs at risk, that the EU are not renegotiating anything, that we need to focus on getting this backstop issue clarified and the deal put before parliament - keeping her in was the best way to do this. 

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

:lol: Good ol' Sturgeon, still clinging on in there to that dream! 

Can't say I blame her in fairness, after all that goal is the only reason she has a job really. I've no issues with the SNP putting forward plans for IndyRef2 in about 20-30 years time whatsoever, although you'd think that one look at the mess Brexit is causing and they might well want to think again. If the UK is going to struggle in the world on its own, then you can only imagine how difficult it would be for a country with the relative limits of Scotland (and I mean that with no disrespect, before G-Man jumps on me). I genuinely fear for any country that does not have the resources of the USA or China striking out on their own.

I'd also have no problem with a Reverse-Brexit Vote 2 in another 20-30 years, btw.

I certainly couldnt advocate our referendum and not a scottish one as per early in this thread and the possible material changes in this country has given just cause, but perhaps this has highlighted some fundamental flaws, a lot like last night, the pm's authority cant be challenged for another year from within, i think we need a new law making referendums legally binding for a decent minimum term or an individual caveat based on those referendums that sets out a time period where it can go back to the polls. 

Edited by Jetpilot

13 hours ago, Bullet said:

/gobsmacked, I've been calling you lot remainers when it should have been deniers.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/567922/distribution-of-eu-referendum-votes-by-age-and-gender-uk/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/election-2017-39965925

How is this not common knowledge by now? Or do you purposely not read anything, ever...

Edited by Maggz

13 minutes ago, Maggz said:

Because certain people only acknowledge any info which suits there narrative, and that goes for any side of any argument 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggz said:

It was well documented post referendum and of course it sits on your side of the fence so understand why you mention it, but, you would honestly put your faith in a demographic that literally couldnt be arsed to get their ass down the polling station in the 15hrs or so it was open and exercise their right to vote and have their say? At the very point they didnt exercise that right, they vetoed that vote and any voice they had.

2 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

It was well documented post referendum and of course it sits on your side of the fence so understand why you mention it, but, you would honestly put your faith in a demographic that literally couldnt be arsed to get their ass down the polling station in the 15hrs or so it was open and exercise their right to vote and have their say? At the very point they didnt exercise that right, they vetoed that vote and any voice they had.

I was stating facts about why the vote shifted on the day. Young believed the polls and thought their 1 vote didn't matter, old people went and voted. End off.

Your point about me putting faith into young voters makes absolutely no sense. Where have I mentioned anything about where my faith was put? To what is this even related? Feels like one of us has ADHD as we're not even remotely talking about the same things...

It's always been like this though, the young shout loudly about not getting what they want but they can never be arsed to do anything about it, aside from long marches with big placards. Brexit isn't unique in that at all, and it shouldn't come as a surprise to the yoof when things don't go the way that the big polls of the day say.

Right, after a number of people on both sides of the argument (before the #fakenews #censorship conspiracy theorists get upset) raising issues with the Team about posts in here, we’ll all have a short break and perhaps reconvene in a day or two.

• Stutopia locked this topic
  • Stutopia unlocked this topic
  • 5 weeks later...

Well today's the day, looks like May is on to a hiding, Corbyn continues his quest to 'get a general election at the expense of the UKs economy so he can tell his family he got into power even if it means financial ruin' and many more people on either side get back to calling each other liars and that the MPs on their side lie less than those on the other...has May got a brilliant secret plan B, or is she just so blinkered she still thinks today will go ok for her?

I could imagine our currency tanking again if things get nasty today. I said it before but I have never seen politicians sinking so low in the hunt for party power. There seem some good ones in there if you look hard enough who debate a good debate (which is the point of parliament) but others like Corbyn are even more blinkered than May, the fact that the EU has already said no more negotiating and he is still banging his drum about another election, go back to the EU and renegotiate. He has even less credibility than May and is quite frankly the wrongest opposition leader that could possibly have been in play.

On 13/12/2018 at 12:46, Ekona said:

It's always been like this though, the young shout loudly about not getting what they want but they can never be arsed to do anything about it, aside from long marches with big placards. Brexit isn't unique in that at all, and it shouldn't come as a surprise to the yoof when things don't go the way that the big polls of the day say.

Couldn't agree more. In a similar vein, I am proper fed up with the way the media has worked to create an young v old narrative around this for a bit of drama.  The idea that if you're "old" your vote is somehow less relevant because you won't be around for long is complete BS and totally disregards the whole point of democracy. 

Edited by sipar69

To be honest though, we must look like a bunch of utter numpties to the EU. They negotiate a withdrawal agreement with the government, not with Theresa May, with the British government. In the meantime any MP who wants their name in lights is ranting and jostling for position, we must have about a dozen different groups in parliament all whinging and ranting about their point of view and getting us nowhere. All the while the EU sits there watching our currency tank and we make no progress - how on earth anyone here thinks we can negotiate all these trade deals with the rest of world when we cannot even get past hurdle one of the exit with any sort of consensus in parliament needs their head examining. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, coldel said:

To be honest though, we must look like a bunch of utter numpties to the EU. They negotiate a withdrawal agreement with the government, not with Theresa May, with the British government. In the meantime any MP who wants their name in lights is ranting and jostling for position, we must have about a dozen different groups in parliament all whinging and ranting about their point of view and getting us nowhere. All the while the EU sits there watching our currency tank and we make no progress - how on earth anyone here thinks we can negotiate all these trade deals with the rest of world when we cannot even get past hurdle one of the exit with any sort of consensus in parliament needs their head examining. 

Can confirm. 

Loads of EU countries have had enough, they're done spending time on this, they got their own countries to run. Apart from Merkel desperate to keep the EUs geopolitical strength the rest seem to have stopped caring or are actually rooting for a hard Brexit, so that any other Eurosceptic countries realise what leaving feels like. 

I can't see this deal changing at all. So it's probably hard Brexit or no Brexit. Maybe an election in between, but those two options don't really change

10 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

I see another yes/no vote coming for the country, now that Nigel Fromages & Borris' lies have been unearthed I think a landslide "stay" will be the result 

Sorry this does make me chuckle, 498 mp's voted to trigger article 50 to say we are LEAVING the EU on the 29th March (a bigger majority than last evening), the odd name thrown in to try and pinpoint blame is fanciful, blame those 498 mps who voted overwhelmingly in majority to trigger article 50.

Am I the only one considering blocking or unfriending people on social media? I use FB mainly for keeping tabs on car stuff, meets etc. but have to put up with certain people on there who are lovely people constantly just sharing Memes with all sorts of crap on them. Things like welcoming a no deal brexit when they have not even spent one minute reading the WTO rules. If we move to the WTO rules (we are already part of the WTO through the EU) it doesn't just happen, we have to agree our schedules of operations which all the WTO members have to agree to - so are we 'taking back control' well to a degree, but we still have to agree how we operate with an economic bloc called the WTO instead of the EU moving forwards. As much as some people with a very simple view of the world wont like it, trade is a global 'thing' which no amount of flag waving or chest beating will get them away from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Am I the only one considering blocking or unfriending people on social media?

Yes, or ditching social media full stop.

I remember a time when every man and his dog didn't think Facebook/ Twitter provided them a pedestal to vent their, often blinkered, views onto other people and call you every name under the sun if you don't share their same said views.

5 hours ago, coldel said:

Am I the only one considering blocking or unfriending people on social media? 

I just shut them down with actual facts, if they then try to argue they end up looking even more stupid. Ive actually had a couple of people take memes or posts down so I guess its working to some extent :lol:

• Haha 1

I could easily do that, but some people could get funny about it. One is a guy who lives in Teeside who is the dad of my wifes good mate, I don't want to get into a back and forth about it on social media. I think best thing is just unfriend and ignore or whatever the button is.