3D Printed Wheels Anyone?

DoogyRev

I think its quite smart. Not in that its particularly pretty but smart in that you can in effect build wheels of much more intricate design than before. Be interesting to see them tested but if they are literally pieces of titanium bolted together it should retain its integrity - i mean if no one said your wheels were 3d printed and said here are some titanium wheels we would assume they would be ok. 

8 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

And will it hold up under force as it's doing 200mph? Or will it just crumble. I seem to remember the original Audi TT alloys wheels buckling at 70mph on corners due to being made incorrectly and the wrong strength required calculated. They had to recall them all as the cars would just flip.

Wasn't the Audi 'flip' due to a pressure difference over the rear axle at speed. So they added the small spoiler at the rear to help stop it from becoming a plane?

EDIT - That ^^ may have just been an internet myth

Oh, and those wheels look awful!

Edited by mattross1313

15 hours ago, mattross1313 said:

Wasn't the Audi 'flip' due to a pressure difference over the rear axle at speed. So they added the small spoiler at the rear to help stop it from becoming a plane?

EDIT - That ^^ may have just been an internet myth

Oh, and those wheels look awful!

NY times printed it as real so dunno.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/02/20/automobiles/audi-offers-tt-fix-after-5-deaths.html

Your explanation was nearer to want they've said.

• Like 1

Can you imagine how long it would take to clean those wheels.

The thought of doing a full decon in preparation for a ceramic type coating would fill me with dread.

I'm thinking along the lines of boxer shorts and socks...... doesn't matter how nice they look, if the label says dry clean only, FORGET ABOUT IT :lol:

• Haha 1

I think it would be very quick and easy to clean those wheels, tbh. I'd use this process:

1. Fill 2x buckets with warm water and mild detergent.

2. Get ready with 1x soft wheel brush, 1x detail brush and 1x soft microfibre.

3. Set up a hose with an adjustable spray nozzle, and set the aperture to approx 35deg exit angle.

4. Lightly mist the wheels with pure water.

5. Realise that you're now looking directly at them, that they're f***ing hideous, then quickly rip them off the damn car and chuck them in the bin.

6. Put some decent wheels on, and book Specsavers asap as clearly you need to if you bought those wheels in the first place.

;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think I'd go with a slightly different, more streamlined technique myself:

1. Look at wheels to see if they're dirty.

2. Realise that you're now looking directly at them, that they're f***ing hideous, then quickly rip them off the damn car and chuck them in the bin.

3. Sell/abandon the car. You clearly can't be trusted with the responsibility if you bought those wheels in the first place. Plus you probably shouldn't be driving anyway given your obvious medical infliction.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...