Nissan 350Z vs Corsa VXR (stage 1 remapped)

benm10

Can't really compare the 2 cars as I've never driven a corsa VXR, but in terms of mods for the Zed some stiffer anti-roll bars would give less body roll so help with cornering. 

Or if you wanted to try and make a little more power you could do Flyboys airbox mod along with a performance drop in air filter and plenum spacer. 

Also is your brake fluid standard? Might be a good idea to upgrade that to something that can deal with high temps to prevent it from boiling. 

• Like 1

With the loooooong straights of Silverstone, a 350 should be faster imho.

Agree with Jack, arb's will make a night and day difference and take the spacers off for the track, they will make zero difference except to add unsprung weight!

Edited by Jetpilot

1 hour ago, ben.mahne said:

Need your advice all...

I am doing a track day at Silverstone next week with a mate and would love to hear your opinion on which car will put in a better time (obviously not taking driver ability into consideration). Do you think it will be a different outcome on a wet circuit? We are doing the Grand Prix circuit.

Nissan 350Z GT 2005

mods:

competition clutch and flywheel

Lower/harder springs

Wheel spacers

MTEC Grooved and vented discs with EBC yellow stuff pads

NEW Nankang Sportnex NS-2R Tyres 

Vauxhall Corsa VXR 2007

mods: 

stage 1 remap (approx 220bhp)

MTEC Grooved and drilled discs with EBC yellow stuff pads

NEW Nankang Sportnex NS-2R Tyres 

Removal of rear seats

Are there any reasonable mods below £500 you would recommend on the Z to give any extra advantage over cornering?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best 500 quid to make you faster .......tuition 100%

• Like 3

Think I'd put my money on the Corsa for this one.

Those tyres and brake pads will cope far better with the lighter car and the weight saving will be a bigger advantage if its wet.

Hanger straight is long but the little Corsa should come out of the Maggots/Becketts complex quite a bit faster so I don't think the Z will be able to rein it back in.

Happy to be wrong...............and I hope you guys have a great time finding out!!

Should be a great battle, I think the zed will have the slight edge in the dry but the corsa in the wet. 

I would spend the £500 on adjustable camber arms and toe bolts and get a full setup done (granted you would have to buy second hand parts) for the budget but you can make the most out of the tyres then. 

And the Corsa will get on to all of the straights quite a bit faster than a Z with that spec and there’s just not enough to make up the difference and then pull it all back too

Obviously as stated at the start that driver skill will ultimately decide who’s quicker but if both can get the maximum from their cars in question then I’d still pluck for the Corsa over a lap

Edited by 350Butcher

Depends on who has the biggest balls. There’s nothing really in it on paper I’d suggest given the weight difference, so it’ll be very much down to who wants to push the hardest. 

Remove your wheel spacers if you want to go quicker, as you’ve added weight in the absolute worst place ;) 

5 hours ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

That's brilliant that you're running the same tyres. Sounds like a great battle.  Fwd is usually easier in the wet but Zed should maybe win with it being a big track otherwise.

No pressure.  Look forward to seeing your report.

I’ll try my best for us and will keep posted!

Right... Bare in mind I'm not great heh but have an alright setup. 

23 other cars on track. 

All assists off (no abs/tc/sc). 

I did, 1 out lap and 2 flying laps, dry and then wet. 

I made the cars as close as possible regarding power, tyres etc. 

And left the suspension default, and only minor adjustment on tyre pressure. 

VXR:

Dry = 2:44.142

Wet = 2:48.138

350z 

Dry = 2:37.289

Wet = 2:41.429

Quite a difference! 

A pity more road cars aren't in Project Cars 2 as I'd be able to set the date/weather better too. 

That was fun, the vxr with everything off does lift off oversteer like mad, and under breaking hah. 

• Like 1

There you go, no pressure then - no reset button either.

Ive done Silverstone National circuit in the wet and let by a Fiesta Zetec which was being driver at 10/10. For the conditions, I and everyone else where happy to go round at 7/10.

• Like 1

Whatever the case, you should have a cracking day out op, i wouldnt mind the rain either, a fwd scrabble wagon putting too much power through the front wheels on semi slicks aint going to be a lot of fun, think you would have the edge there too imho.

7 minutes ago, RobPhoboS said:

Definitely no pressure :lol:

I did have to use the rewind button once.. Because a fkn Audi rammed me off of the track! :angry:

Had to be an Audi driver :lol:

• Like 1