350Z Fuel/MAF/Running Problem

shaun350z

I have owned my 2004 DE 350z for 3 years now and hasn't had a single problem and has been a pleasure to drive, own and modify... Performance mod wise it has an ARK Grip exhaust (cat back) and air box velocity stack mod all of which have been on the car 2+ years so shouldn't be related to the problem below. 

Half way to work Friday, I was coming off a mini roundabout in 3rd gear and I decided to put my foot down and the car instantly gave up, engine was still running however throttle inputs were unresponsive no EML no pre warnings. Luckily I managed to coast/roll to a lay by on the side of the road before the engine stalled... In the lay by I decided to try restarting the car, to my amazement it started just like normal on the key revving to 1500-2000rpm, however the revs slowly declined (3-5 seconds) resulting in the engine stalling with any throttle input unresponsive. Temps were normal (just below half), fuel was 3/4 tank no lights on dashboard.

Following multiple inspections and further failed start ups as a last ditch effort I decided to unplug the MAF and amazingly it started, albeit with the EML, traction control and ESP lights on however these were due to unplugging the MAF. I was able to get to work that morning and drive it back using the default map/limp mode, where the cars idle would fluctuate and wouldn't exceed 2500rpm. The exhaust smelt a bit aswell which I think is due to the base A/F map?

This weekend I got the car plugged in to check any fault codes, the codes being P0102 MAF SEN/CIRCUIT, P0113 IAT SEN V HI, C1130 ENGINE SIGNAL 1 and C1109 BATTERY VOLTAGE [ABNORMAL]. All relating to the MAF being unplugged

The fault codes were cleared and MAF plugged back in, all lights on the dashboard gone and no fault codes, however the car still starts then dies after 3-5 seconds. I can see the MAF is working as the voltage/resistance is changing when running for the 3-5 seconds. It doesnt look like a MAF problem, it looks to be a fuelling issue, however I thought the pumps/filter are supposed to last a lot longer than 79k miles? The car has been ran on ONLY BP Ultimate Unleaded since owning the car

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance 

8 minutes ago, Ekona said:

So MAF plugged in you get problems, MAF unplugged it runs fine albeit on the default map?

99% sure it’s the MAF then. 

Hi Dan, thanks for the quick reply! 

My first impression was MAF on Friday however after watching the MAF working via the OBD, changing voltage/resistance I dont think it is the MAF... Would a dodgy MAF be so sudden? It was running sweet before that point

Edited by shaun350z

Yup, it can be overnight just like that. Even if it looks like it’s working, moving voltages and all, I’m still willing to bet that’s the issue here. 

Also when you do replace it, don’t get a cheap OEM-equivalent, just get the proper Nissan item. Cheap MAFs may look like they work, but they’ll just cause you other issues: been there, done that with the Impreza! 

Just an update I decided to buy a new oem MAF sensor. Installed it tonight and all sorted! :clap:

Thanks Andy for the kind offer! Much appreciated!! I had already ordered a new one by the time I saw your post :doh: Just FYI im about 30 miles away from Southend

Thanks again guys!

• Like 2