Transmission noise after works done

JimmyWhite1

Hi All,

Me again, sorry :(

As many of you probably know, I am very new to all of this, so any help is always appreciated.

I have a 53 plate 350z. I recently had my clutch and flywheel changed, and am very grateful to ZMANALEX for the advice he gave me along the way. Whilst changing my clutch, my mechanic said the oil from the gearbox wasn't great so decided to change that which I didn't mind. He used 75w90 Semi Synthetic & Molyslip. Since having the car back the difference is unreal, power, smoothness, and I personally think the throttle response is a lot better (I might be imagining things) 

The only thing that has somewhat got worse is the noise coming from the transmission ( I believe). Here are two videos I have uploaded for you to hear, apologies for the poor quality but it's horrendous weather and I'm not an owner for an expensive phone. The car still pulls, it vibrates a bit more from what I can remember, but it's really really noisy, kind of sounds like an old V8 (sort of) which isn't bad, but it's not an old V8 :p. I'm hopeful I don't need a new gearbox, but... neither myself, or the mechanics involved know what this could be.

If anyone has any advice, thoughts or has experienced the same issues, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JimmyWhite1
Mistake

1 hour ago, jdm2003 said:

I think you have a coil pack out.. also try the fly wheel position sensor. its on the bottom of the gearbox (out side) .  check if its connected firmly..

Good luck

Thanks JDM2003.

I am going to get someone to plug it into a diagnostics reader. I'll have a look under the car as well, as I didn't know about the sensor.

Just a thought, wouldn't I have an EML on for a bad coil pack or misfire? 

Many thanks

1 hour ago, JimmyWhite1 said:

Thanks JDM2003.

I am going to get someone to plug it into a diagnostics reader. I'll have a look under the car as well, as I didn't know about the sensor.

Just a thought, wouldn't I have an EML on for a bad coil pack or misfire? 

Many thanks

yes . that's why i thought about the plug on the bottom.. but mine had problems starting as a result of the loose sensor .. Camshaft Position Sensor

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jdm2003 said:

yes . that's why i thought about the plug on the bottom.. but mine had problems starting as a result of the loose sensor .. Camshaft Position Sensor

Yea, I've got no warning lights at all and it drives spot on, so the sensor is a really good shout. I'll jack the car up and have a good look, when the heavy rain has stopped :(

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by JimmyWhite1
Spelling

1 hour ago, Keyser said:

Did you switch to a lightened flywheel and replace a dual mass one?

The lightened ones are more noisy and make the car rev quicker.

Keyser

Thanks Keyser,

I replaced with another dual mass, but I know they are typically noisy.

I think I may have an idea of the noise now. I have had a browse through the vast history that came with the car and notice that there was an uprated transmission mount installed not long ago, it's only an eBay invoice so no make on it. Judging that I am not losing any performance and it seems that the car is slightly more responsive, I'm guessing that's my best bet at the moment. My guess is that because the clutch was fairly bad before, it muffled out most of the noise, because as I've said before, everything is better now. I will check other sensors though and have a good look over the car, just incase. 

FYI - Not sure if I mentioned before, but the car is only noisy in the cabin, when letting it idle and listening outside, it just sounds normal!? 

Thanks again :)

Maybe you two could meet up being the same part of the world, and given Chris (Keyser) has had more than his fair share of experience with 350s ;)

Very difficult to tell from those vids what the noise you are concerned about is, but given the idle noise you mention and not saying if the release bearing was changed - a notorious issue for 350s, maybe that is part/the problem you are concerned with??

7 hours ago, Ebized said:

Maybe you two could meet up being the same part of the world, and given Chris (Keyser) has had more than his fair share of experience with 350s ;)

Very difficult to tell from those vids what the noise you are concerned about is, but given the idle noise you mention and not saying if the release bearing was changed - a notorious issue for 350s, maybe that is part/the problem you are concerned with??

Not a bad idea at all!! I welcome anyone's experience so I can take on board what to look out for :D

Regarding the noise though, I'm 99% certain it's the transmission mount as the performance is still there. I did have a new bearing fitted with the clutch and flywheel, sorry, I may have forgotten to mention that. I'm going to buy a transmission mount from ZMANALEX and hopefully that will be my problem solved :)