Hello from New Member with Twin 350z's

Long time secret reader, finally took the plunge and made the account. Love reading people's builds on here, I am Z obsessed.

I have an 07 GT Rev Up and another 08 GT HR. I really love these cars and work on them every free minute I have.

I plan to share my mods including eventually a FI build, with built engine and full custom fab manifolds for the HR. Still need to buy the space to get that moving! so definitely one for later in 2019.

Here are my current mods on each of these cars as of Nov 2018.

07 350Z DE GT Rev Up

K&N Typhoon Air Intake

Cobra exhaust system

Cobra HFC

ROTA GRID 19" in "Flat Black"

Polished plenum

Coil Overs (I think they're BC but not sure)

Switchback DRLs in the front bumper

Demon Eyes + Custom Headlights 

Since getting this one around 9 months ago I've spent probably 80+ hours on the paint and it looks like a new car compared to when I first got it. After a wash it looks all wet and shiny like glass and the blue doesn't look like any other blue I've seen on the road lol. 

40478877_261480438039414_2031338498136473600_n.jpg.4ca1927882ec54fa321589889149c663.jpg

Headlights are different now as the strips I used inside these were not reliable. 

08 350Z GT HR

This car is bone stock as I bought it like this, but this is all the stuff I've purchased currently sat in my garage awaiting finding a reliable person with a lift to install (I love doing this stuff but not climbing under my car in a tiny single garage)

- Decats (slightly resonated)

- HKS Style True Duel Full Exhaust System. It's a straight through system with no echo chamber things. My thinking was I can use parts of this when fabbing up the turbo set up. 

- Spec Headlights imported from USA

My blue Z has had enough money poured into it for now lol. Below are my intentions once the above stuff is fitted.

1579587310_36723762_2091231757802821_6894478887351222272_n1.jpg.1430070e91c3ef97a7b43a6f207d9dc9.jpg

HR Planned Mods

- Body kit - I'm doing something custom

- Paint - I plan to respray the thing a deep black when I get the space. 

- Wrap - Once the paint is done and settled I want to wrap, I won't give away the details yet. 

- Wing - I think I'm fabbing something custom. I want something really big with a lot of width that looks aggressive. 

- Interior - Doing alcantara over the sides of the dash and gloss carbon fiber over the center console. 

- Seats - Seen some online I really like but they're all with faux leather. I really like the smell of leather so going to try and get them reupholstered with real leather. 

- Steering wheel - Doing something custom

- Roll cage - want to go with a simple bolt in roll cage to start with, nothing too intrusive since this is a day car for now. My goal is to get everything else done before I hit it with boost. 

- Sound system - planning on using an xtrons unit. I can replace the front speakers but need to get the cage in the back before I do rears and a sub. 

- Tuning - Haven't decided on a tuner yet, but I know I'm going with UpRev. I drove a HR with UpRev prior to purchasing either of these and loved it. 

Given the amount of work going on I'm likely sourcing parts from all over the world to get a good price as I can't go MSRP so i'll share links to that stuff if people are interested. Don't mind going used on certain things like a cage if needed! Can always repaint and get it looking fresh.  

Anyway long first post but yello. :D

Edited by jktitties
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TubbyZ said:

Hello and welcome, looking forward to reading about your build!

Thank you man!!

1 hour ago, TubbyZ said:

Hello and welcome, looking forward to reading about your build!

Thanks a lot! Excited to finally have my own thread :lol:

22 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Respray and a wrap... on your second zed.... you’ll fit in well here lol

Nice cars. Although with your username I was hoping for a nicer pair

Lmao! Thanks a lot man :lol: Let the madness begin. I agree but hoping the wide body will take us to a DD lol. 

8 minutes ago, CAL-85 said:

Nice Cars.  Blue paint looks stunning, sure the HR will look good with you spending your time on it!

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate that a lot, I hope so too! 

If anyone is on instagram my handle is same as here, I follow 200 350Z accounts so if you're looking for builds to follow its all in my follow list :lol:

Edited by jktitties

On 06/11/2018 at 17:59, andy james said:

Welcome along. Love the paint detail.

You've got a bad case of Zeditus!

Hahaha thank you very much man :teeth: What can I say, better than gonorrhoea I guess :lol:

On 06/11/2018 at 20:17, G1en@waxandshine said:

Welcome jk. Should be an intresting build. 

Thanks man! I'm excited to keep it moving. The new one gets it's MOT in a week and is then back on the road so will be good to finally give it a blast! 

On 06/11/2018 at 23:33, ZHead350 said:

Welcome! That is one tasty blue Z! Love the pic in the car park! :thumbs:

Thanks man! Yeah the car park lighting is always the best :lol:

On 07/11/2018 at 09:09, Paul K said:

Welcome ...looking  forward to seeing your plans develop

Thanks man! I'm gonna start a build thread tonight for it. 

On 07/11/2018 at 12:13, Andy_Muxlow said:

Hello and welcome to the club buddy. cars look good.

Thanks buddy! 

On 07/11/2018 at 13:41, Andy Carfax said:

Welcome, lovely cars.  That blue paintwork is absolutely stunning, how did you get it to that stage?

Thanks a lot man! Hahaha well it was a learning curve for me but I'll type out what I can remember because it worked really well. 

This is how it looked when I bought the car:

Here's the list of what I did to the paint:

1. Spray with water
  2. Spray with snow foam
  3. Wash using 2 bucket technique
  4. Wash with water
  5. Dry by hand
  6. Clay Bar entire car with AutoGlym Rapid Detailer (can probs use something else but I heard good things about it for lubricating the clay bar. clay was cheap from ebay, 5 for £10 I think, they're bright blue). 
  7. Quick wipe down with microfibre, should be dry already 
  8. I used T-cut on a Dual Action Rotary Orbital with a firm smooth sponge, 5" or 7"  I think. 
  9. I did the entire car in small sections. This removed most but not all of the surface scratches which was fine for me. Doing it for longer or using harsher compounds would have probably got me to nearly 100% new but that would be too corrosive on the clear coat and I want to keep my clear coat lol. Here's a pic whilst I was doing it, this was my first attempt and I did a better job the second time 

This is what the paint looked like at the end of the process (not there yet). It looked perfect in the day time, it was only under harsh light at night time close up you could still see a few micro scratches to the clear. 

10. I wiped off the T-cut residue with a microfiber. This happened because I used too much and the first time the sponge on the DA was too soft. I didn't have to do this much when I redid it properly. You could probably try the Autoglym super resin polish but meh, T-cut has been around forever and I had a bottle sat in the garage. 

10a. I had really bad stone scratches on the bonnet and front bumper, so using a nail art sharp tip paint brush (lol) I went in to a small bottle of touch up for my paint code purchased from ebay and individually filled in each of the stone chips. It's not as impressive as a new paint job, but I would rather have some tiny body-coloured bumps on the front than bright white stone chips. I did this way after the first time I cleaned up the paint but this is where it fits into the full routine, after the T cut and before the wax. 

11. I used 2 waxes. The first was the SIMONIZ Original Hard Car Wax. That was tricky to use but melts into the sponge with some heat. Buffed this into the car in small sections.

12. The second wax I used was Turtle Wax Original Car Wax Liquid. This one does dry faster so you have to work quickly. Some people just use one wax and I'm sure that works perfectly, I like to start with hard wax and move my way up.

13. I cleaned off the excess Turtle Wax dried up liquid with a microfiber and then used AutoGlym Rapid Detailer over the car a panel at a time and massaged in with a microfiber. This step was super fast because no machinery and I find it just gives it a little extra shine as well as a little extra protection.

Fin. 

That was everything for the paint! The reason it took me months was because it was my first time using the machine and there was some trial and error with how much pressure to use, I went too light to start with and it didn't get enough of the scratches out. I've done the hatch, roof and bonnet twice to get it how I wanted it. Took a long time but spreading it out it wasn't bad and it looks like a whole new car from when I first got it. Nissan paint from the factory isn't bad! :lol: Warning tho it shows up dirt so fast now with the paint being super shiny compared to before, it needs cleaning 1-2 times a week just being sat on the drive :lol:

On 07/11/2018 at 14:15, rabbitstew said:

You have 2 350z`s!!!! Now thats just greedy! :thumbs:

:lol: I agree! And trying to get VQ37VHR parts and a blown HR engine to TT build in my garage so I can drop it in the new one :yahoo: RIP bank lol

Edited by jktitties
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2018 at 17:57, Andy Carfax said:

I feel the need to get my Orbital out at the weekend :teeth:

Lol! Your car looks like a mirror in that picture mate :clap:

On 10/11/2018 at 20:45, Chris780 said:

Another new member, got my 2008 vq35hr a few months ago and started modding straight away.

However a dodgy clutch is gunna slow that down. Put a rjw peddle in but think it's the master or just not bled up properly. 

Screenshot_20181110-202121_Photos.jpg

20181109_180021.jpg

Nice! The demon eyes look so sick man! And the black roof :wub: Yeah it's so annoying, I haven't even tried launching my HR because I know I'll run into something like that. Had it on one of my last Z's, why couldn't Nissan bless us with decent clutch cylinders lol. 

On 12/11/2018 at 09:56, CCooperTech said:

Hello! and thanks for the detailed "detailing" / cleaning post. Think I will have to give that a go when I get some free time. Looks lovely, and the car park pic is very nice. 

Thanks a lot man! I am definitely not a pro, just trial and error really :D I need to do it all to my HR since it's back on the road too lol.

On 24/11/2018 at 14:13, Jcurtis said:

Welcome

Thanks bro!

On 25/11/2018 at 09:22, baileydom said:

Without a shadow of a doubt, you have it bad!! Haha lovely pair (of cars) you have there. 

LOOOOL! Tell me about it right! :lol: Thanks a lot buddy. Works in progress, when the HR is finished it will look very different! 

23 hours ago, Jcurtis said:

welcome :)

Thanks dude!! :teeth: