350z 5th Crunch

TubbyZ

I swear I never have anything but problems haha. 5th gear in my Zed is crunching when driving hard, its fine when cruising along. is the synchro going? My car has 5 days of dealership warranty left so don't know if to claim this on it however just had my diff bushings replaced with this too.

Thanks,

Toby

My 5th gear graunch happened at Snetterton a while back half way during the day :wacko:

It just suddenly happened for me.

I called up Sly at Kaizer and asked for a bit of advice he said it was fine to drive around and avoid 5th gear.

I dropped it off to him a few months later and had the gearbox refreshed where needed, inc new JWT clutch/flywheel.

For me 5th and Reverse baulk rings were shot, I can't quite remember if the Syncro had gone or not but they did a great job on the repairs !

But as I'm sure you've been reading, yes the syncro's do get worn out quite easily, even on the CD009 gearbox it can eventually happen.

I would get the car warmed up and go to the garage and get a technician in the car with you to prove it, hopefully done under warranty !

Definitely claim and take the service manager out in the car and demonstrate the fault, inducing the fault if you have to.

Don't be deterred by him saying that you are beating the syncro as you are changing too fast or by him saying that it is wear and tear.

If it comes to it, politely argue the case that it is a sports car and quick gear changes are part of the sports car experience.

Also, hold firm on that it is a mechanical failure issue and not wear and tear.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Definitely claim and take the service manager out in the car and demonstrate the fault, inducing the fault if you have to.

Don't be deterred by him saying that you are beating the syncro as you are changing too fast or by him saying that it is wear and tear.

If it comes to it, politely argue the case that it is a sports car and quick gear changes are part of the sports car experience.

Also, hold firm on that it is a mechanical failure issue and not wear and tear.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for that! I've emailed them and they've asked me to pop it into a garage and get a quote for repair and get back to them. They weren't hesitant at all to pay for the diff bushing repair so I think it'll go smoothly enough!

Cheers

1 minute ago, ZMANALEX said:

Happy Days:  :yahoo:

Do you mind sharing the name of the friendly helpful garage?

Yes! It's Auto200 in Mansfield. Despite the few niggles I've had they've bee very accommodating.