Chris Harris TG Lap: 370z Nismo

350Butcher

Do like Chris Harris! Given its 10years old now I think that's not too bad a review. I actually think the appeal on the Z is greater these days for its old school approach to going about its business with its old fashioned n/a engine and manual 'box........do wish Nissan went a bit more all in with the Nismo models though and took out a lot of the squidge that's in the chassis and controls plus gave it more aggressive cams to add the top end fizz it deserves........

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

Don't agree with his review at all but that's just my opinion.I love mine. It's a great machine. I think its better looking than the GTR and if it had the GTR power etc it would be incredible.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

So what dont you agree with i am curious?

His entire assessment of the handling and performance of the car. I cant comment on how the Nismo compares to the standard 370z so he may have a fair point there as I have never driven a standard 370z.

2 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

He wasn't so kind here

Yeah remember watching that....does look like they've sourced the worst spec 370 available though which I'm sure didn't help.....8/10th cars aren't a bad place to start modifying from though.

2 hours ago, mattross1313 said:

Saw this review when it first came out, boy the fake engine noise is so very bad! Really dumb idea IMO

I didn't realise they did that......terrible idea and worse that its not a good sound they've piped in either, I'd be turning that off straight away

1 hour ago, Payco said:

His entire assessment of the handling and performance of the car. I cant comment on how the Nismo compares to the standard 370z so he may have a fair point there as I have never driven a standard 370z.

Don't want to offend but from what I've read the Nismo is a set of springs/dampers and simple breathing mods over a GT (excluding all the styling changes) so I've never really viewed them as being a different breed of model like say the M models over stock 3 series for example.

I thought it was a good review! In the world of turbo'd 350hp Civic type r's and 400hp+ M3's the old Z's are starting to feel slow, where chassis is concerned, although I really love my 350z as stock they do fall apart when pushed down a technical bit of road but with a few select mods they can be elevated to a different league.......motoring journalists review from the factory cars and not modified/altered so just take their opinion as no more than that. Also, after flying round in GT3RS Porsche's all day I imagine when climbing in a Z and hitting the track it does make it feel pretty rubbish.

9 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

I didn't realise they did that......terrible idea and worse that its not a good sound they've piped in either, I'd be turning that off straight away

In further Nissan 'wisdom' you also cannot turn it off. I have read on the interwebs that it can be turned off by the Consult (?) system, which is typically available at dealers.

I'd partially agree with CH in his review that it really does run out of puff at the top end of the range, and I tend to change gear earlier. Handling may not be up there with other newer models, but as noted, it is in essence a 10 year old car.

Edited by mattross1313

ohhhh this review/overview

I think if you listened to these reviews youd never touch the Z....then again maybe this forum is a bit different as in ppl here would buy the Z and consider m4 c63 cayman etc. The Z has its own following regardless of age or negatives. People looking at those top end cars most likely wouldnt buy a Z. A few on here are an exception.

My bro sent me the review, I rolled my eyes and got back to watching shooter on netflix lol....its long in tooth no need to review a 10 year old car. Tell us something new.

I watched a 30 minute review by an American who actually suggested improvements to overcome the negatives of the car. That was really good. 

Theyll be saying the same thing in the year 2031 about Z35.... they havent worked out the pattern yet.

4 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

Evo magazine have always given the 350-370z 4-5star ratings..................HR 350z made Ecoty at release in 2007

hmmm shocker..... interested to know what its being compared to on the video reviews.....maybe a car costing £20,000 more cayman base or one with 160-170bhp like the mx5

Edited by GranTurismoEra

3 hours ago, Payco said:

I admire your enthusiasm i really do and i know this is the very place to wear the rose coloured specs, ive done it myself, but, the performance is lacking for a 2018 car as GT says below you wouldnt see a Civic Type R which is a similar price for dust but, doesnt mean its a bad car and if you got yours out on track and pushed the limits like the video maybe you too would think the handling is a bit sub standard, again doesnt mean its a bad car and you also have to remember again as GT says, its in comparison, what are you comparing its performance and handling too, what else did you test drive? 

20 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I think if you listened to these reviews youd never touch the Z....then again maybe this forum is a bit different as in ppl here wouls buy the Z

People looking at those top end cars most likely wouldnt buy a Z.

I watched a 30 minute review by an American who actually suggested improvements to overcome the negatives of the car. That was really good. 

I said on another thread if people only bought on reviews none of us would have bought Z's, i thought my two were great but acknowledge they have flaws, but that was part of the appeal, i dont think any review has said they arent good, just in comparison to "others", not as good, nothing wrong with that.

Interesting comment re the improvements, read any review on the Alfa 4C and it was well and truly slated over here, even CH who loved it when he drove in Italy, hated it when it got on British roads, but with a bit of further reading, a few suspension tweaks and alignment settings, its transformed. 

20 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

20 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

ppl here would buy the Z and consider m4 c63 cayman etc. The Z has its own following regardless of age or negatives. People looking at those top end cars most likely wouldnt buy a Z. A few on here are an exception.

My bro sent me the review, I rolled my eyes and got back to watching shooter on netflix lol....its long in tooth no need to review a 10 year old car. Tell us something new.

The thing is the 370 really isnt that far different from the 350 and thats now a 17 year old car.
In the same time period BMW have offered E46, E92 and F30 3 Series, all of which are markedly different from the others (they have all had LCI/facelifts too and theres a new one out next year), even Porsche have released 3 different Caymans since 2006 too. It is an old car, with old tech and outdated performance and you cant hide that. 

21 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Also, after flying round in GT3RS Porsche's all day I imagine when climbing in a Z and hitting the track it does make it feel pretty rubbish.

It doesnt have to be a GT3RS, a newish MX5 or aforementioned BMW's feel light years more advanced in the chassis and their power delivery. I loved my 350 when I bought it in 2006 but where tech has moved on, Nissan dont seem to have done anything with the Z car, probably because hey dotn want it nicking GTR sales :(

He is also quite critical of the GT86, interior, price, lack of power.....everything he compliments on the 370z, if viewed subjectively and not owning or wanting any of them, its actually quite a constructive review and comparison between the pros and cons of each car, except the Cayman, but he does highlight how much it "may" cost to run. 

The only problem on here with the review is, he prefers the GT86 to the 370z 

There is sometimes a misapprehension on this forum that the 370 has always received poor reviews.  In fact, reviews were largely very positive when the car came out, praising it as an improvement over the 350 and for being a lot of bang for buck compared to rivals.  

They were? Maybe it’s the cynic in me, but I remember them being praised for the interior but criticised for the anodyne engine, dull exhaust note and not feeling as lively on the move as the 350. 

I mean, I’m sure they were more positive than that but I honestly don’t recall them being called an improvement over a 350. Anyone got any reviews from that time? Evo, or Car maybe?