Toyota taking orders for 300.....

GranTurismoEra

3 weeks old news but found out everyone else will be on the waiting list after the limited 300 to be released in 2019. Full reveal early next year at Detroit

No confirmation on specs, but rumours are itll be a 382 bhp inline 6 tuned up from the z40i. No manual gearbox DCT only. 

The manual wasnt approved and got stuck in a cupboard at the factory, so auto only.

Another rumour is it will cost £50,000 :lol: but possibly in the 40s. I doubt it 

Lets hope when the new Z drops in a couple years they will supply a spec sheet and a car with no silly camo so we know what we,re ordering. Hopefully 400+ bhp too :drive1

Screenshot_20181027_092251.jpg

Edited by GranTurismoEra

It won't be a DCT but the 8 speed ZF, the B58 is a great engine, there's a lot of head room for performance and pulls like a train with its low down torque. 

I don't think we'll ever see the B58 mated with a manual again, they stopped taking manual Mx40i orders in the summer. 

• Like 1

I moaned about how this looked a bit stumpy but form a lower angle in the videos its not bad, I'll reserve further judgement until its in normal paint lol.  Sounds ok although I do think most cars all sound the same with pops and a dull rev to it with a sudden cut off in gear change (I know thats due to flappy paddle but its annoying).... all seemed to start with Audi... and I hated their sporty sound. 

I agree with Dan, it would be good if it undercut the big boys.  That was the point of stuff like the Supra, Z cars, RX7... close to the performance of bigger stuff for less... However prices for new stuff just seem the same as more expensive cars.  No doubt when the Z's out it'll be expensive. 

They made it smaller and more stumpy compared to the FT-1 concept. Supra used to have a long bonnet and width for road presence. Looks to have shrunk to the Z4 size.

Yep, Cant see the Z being less than £50,000 new. That,ll depreciate over time or keep an eye out for discounts or ex demos. Itll probably cost as much as a TTrs does now with a few 1000 miles on it

The manufacturer claims they arent chasing numbers but go with no manual option. 

Japanese manufacturers need to realise that pricing at the same level of the Germans may not be a good thing. But with new formed alliances  who knows. We all know the biggest sellers are all EU. Its probably why Toyota aligned with BMW.

Hope Nissan dont go the same way with Mercedes....oh wait they already have with Mercedes X class and are working with Nissan on a small engined luxury car.

Daimler have shares in both Renault Nissan.....with Nissan/Renault owning some shares in Daimler.

Possibly due to need for better strategy, marketing and need for better resourcing, more alliances will form between JDM and European manufacturers.

True Japanese may be a thing of the past soon. Japanese cars will now command a premium. 

Nissan GTR R37 with a mercedes 9 speed AMG gearbox :lol: mated with a hybrid V8. 2032 release. from £140,000 rrp :lol:

Edited by GranTurismoEra

I understand keeping it "camo" whilst in the design and pre production phases, but literally no idea at all why its still wearing camo as a finished car soon to be released. I am staggered that anyone would buy a car not knowing what it truly looks like, makes you wonder why, maybe they have something up their sleeve.

I think its lines look pretty good and follows the old Supra lines reasonable well, still, once youve seen the FT1 concept, its never going to be as good looking at that.

On 27/10/2018 at 19:10, Ekona said:

So it’ll be exactly like the Z4, but the roof doesn’t come off. I’m struggling to see any attraction here at all, unless it massively undercuts the Bmw. 

Which it won’t. 

A friend of mine has driven the new Z4 and was well impressed - said it felt light, wieldy and much better than  his current Z4M. Nice :)

• Like 2

On 29/10/2018 at 10:58, grahamc said:

GTR R36 (if it is realised) will be over £100k, so the R37 will be even more!!!

Any idea on the final price of the Toyota or is it still just guessing?

All guestimates based on Youtube rumours and editor opinions. We will see. It cant be cheaper than the Z40i M sport or can it? I know this Toyota wont be limited production like the Alpine. When you consider the average BMW M car brand new is 60k + I dont think it will be too far off 50k and a possible drop if sales slump

Edited by GranTurismoEra

18 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Which model? Z40i M?

I think it was the 20i but he said it was what youd hope for - sporty, fairly stiff, felt light on the road and suggests the bigger engined cars are going to be worth a serious look, even with the 20i he said it was fast enough and good fun :) 

18 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

z40i is around 335 bhp then with a twin scroll turbo?

If its the same 335bhp/500nm as the M140i it should make 340+ bhp as I don't think ive seen one on a dyno yet that makes less then BMW's stated power. Its not just the bhp but the torque that makes the B58 engine so good.