Zed Shed Antics - Something will happen!

Keyser

9 hours ago, harryjackson said:

@Keyser what would do 200sx build consist of? Would we get some SR20 goodness?

I'd probably build it as a track or drift car, don't know what engine I'd go for, got a lot of turbo bits to add to a standard engine but then I'd have to get it forged so I'd probably look at alternative engines :)

Tough one really. I think id be tempted to off-load the 200sx's as they are and focus on the pop. But, you would definitely get more money if you fixed one of them up and then sold it - but its a question of how long it would take and what potential costs would be involved.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, :wave:

Been a while, sorry about that but things have been happening in the Zed Shed II despite taking a weekend out to celebrate my youngest daughters  21st - Amongst other things we went to Alton Towers - I attempted to be the oldest Kid in the park :lol:

Of course like everything I get involved in it went wrong when the roller coaster we were on broke down and stopped leaving us stranded :lol:

That and a few other things have slowed me down so time to bring you up to speed -

The Barn find - I did a bit of an inspection on the "good shell" and found a problem in the engine bay

IMG_3452.JPG.dd847af48a38aaa8844284248047306e.JPG

The drivers side inner wing has a huge patch, why? well it seems that it has had a bump at some point as the front inner wing is still creased

IMG_3460.JPG.08605f405e6ffeff1071f7b21f67e901.JPG

It has been repaired and the front has had a new replacement part welded in, I also found that the chassis leg on the same side (probably caused by the same bump) is badly rusted

IMG_3444.JPG.ffb3daf2707995c1048e62addcdac386.JPG

Anyway I had a word with my mate as I bought it from him, remember it was in a dark barn and the bonnet was tied down so I didn't see this when I bought it, we have been mates for years and he tells me he had no idea it had been bumped. Anyway we had a chat and he agreed a small rebate was in order and I decided that I had enough on my plate with Pop Z and more than enough rust in that to be getting on with!

So a shout out to @docwra who has some involvement in the SXOC and gave me a bit of help and advice, leading me to joining the SXCO and placing an advert for the complete barn find, one of the members from just down the road from me got in touch as he has a road going 200SX that he is working on and wants a track 200 as well, a deal was struck and he came and collected the lot :thumbs:

So the garage is back to this now -

IMG_3484.JPG.574f091636962e1147108c28ec90f99d.JPG

:)

Keyser Maximum Effort :thumbs:

• Like 2

Moving swiftly onto other news -

The Radical went out on it's first track day of the season a few weeks back, but I don't think I told you all how it went??

True to form from last year it broke down on the way back from noise testing :doh:

The clutch started slipping, so I stripped the multi-plate in the pits - nothing bad in there, stripped the slave cylinder down, nothing wrong in there HMMM

So went to bleed it back up with Tim and the master cylinder packed up (stopped pumping) so stripped that down after getting it out through the reservoir filler hole!!!

That was the problem, it seems the rubber seal had rolled back and eventually jammed so it was not doubt stopping the fluid returning causing the clutch slip and now doesn't pump either, luckily Merlin Motor Sport who are at Castle Combe stock the reconditioned Girling master cylinders as they are used on loads of cars :thumbs:

We got that fitted what a PITA but did it by 12 and had the afternoon on track :thumbs:

Ran her on maps 1 and 2 only (200 and 225HP approx respectively) she ran fine and temps are well down on last year :thumbs:

Only problem is the paddle shift is not smooth enough and catches a lot of false neutrals, The plan is to reconnect the manual shift and see if it is a gearbox issue or the paddle shift system, I think it's the paddle shift and we made need to play with the engine kill delay time to get it a bit slicker.

And what you've all been waiting for (or not) the Pop Z build ............................

I will be 100% honest with you here I have spent a lot of time doubting myself for the last 2 week, every time I look at what I'm trying to do I think "Yer this aint gonna work" or "I have no idea how to do this"

However with a lot of encouragement from Mrs Keyser (she just wants me out of the house :lol:) and other people I have spoken to I am going to carry on in my attempt to pull it off - or my attempt to just waste a load of money and take some strange shaped bits of metal down the scrap yard :lol:

To that end the chassis table was brought back into the Zed Shed II and I started to line things up - it was at this point I realised I had a list of measurements but not 1 very important one - The height difference for the front and rear chassis rails :doh:

But I'm a 350z-uk forum member and you lot are great, I sent a diagram to @ZMANALEX who kindly offered to climb under one of his shells and take the measurement - Thanks Alex :)

IMG_3485.JPG.2ee369e5ea216f88a5e6b581289c46dc.JPG

I needed measurements for "A" and "B" on the diagram.

@andy james replied to my text and offered to bring his car round the next morning to be measured, he would have come sooner but was on the other side of the country when I text him :lol: Thanks Andy :) 

But what do you know @gg2040uk said she could pop over that evening and let me take her measurements Ohh Err :lol:

So lastly Thanks Maz :)

With the measurements written down it was back to trying to line up the front and rear "subframe carriers" get them at the right height and the hardest thing getting it square!!! Aghhhhh - Well I can tell you after 3 days WE (huge shout out to my long suffering wife) got it square - well inside 0.25% which I am happy to live with as we should be able to get that out with the normal tracking adjustments (I hope)

SO that means that this update is BORING!

First problem was that the front cross-member mount was not strong enough, not accurate enough and I had no set points to measure from, so we needed to create something to use as a datum.

Started with a piece of box and got that bang on,

IMG_3498.JPG.21cd717b1bbc0d89ebae503397eea891.JPG

Please note the centre line - that's important as well!

Then added a sturdy cross-member mounted it to the box section.

IMG_3496.JPG.23b16a9b335423c295ca0f4a1a3ada4e.JPG

New centre line added you can just see it in the pic. The angle iron is now the new datum :thumbs:

That got us to here

IMG_3499.JPG.a5b9784c917b90157219fb789db20249.JPG

lots of tack welds as I didn't want it to move!

Then added my chassis rails and got those spot on

IMG_3502.JPG.aa72d26248b4cc603477a8f49b299ed3.JPG

followed by rear frame alignment

IMG_3493.JPG.2b2d714df1b4a171cdeaca436f3329c3.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG.87e8ca6161a589e0c64e9884fad24552.JPG

Then onto the ever important centre line

IMG_3505.JPG.568d6bb31ba2d190808373ffbadd4f43.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG.d76c4dabba688b5ccde44b10a7b9ff5e.JPG

Using some home made plumb bobs we got everything in a straight line, but It took me ages to work out how to be sure it was all square, I understand that you measure the 2 sides and when they are equal measure the angles for square but I have nothing to measure a straight line from - after some head scratching I stumbled upon a YouTube video and he lines up his newly made suspension using plumb bobs but the bit I got from him was, you drop a plumb bob to just above the floor from a known point, you mark the floor with an "X" then do the same on the other side and at the back, you can now measure the "X"'s and if they are the same in length and diagonals then you are square :thumbs:

Guess what - Yup miles out :lol: same length either side but out by 11mm in the diagonal.

After hours of little adjustments I got it down to 3mm in a measurement of 2.5M given that the pen line is 1mm thick I can live with that, I had also had enough after 3 days of trying to get the sodding thing all lined up!!!!  I time lapsed it all so if I'm feeling particularly bored and mean I'll post it up at some point and you can join me in my pain!!!!

Anyway after all that we clamped it off and I have started to design and fabricate the main chassis rails -

IMG_3506.JPG.aa7b20752aada4e942b7cefec4ddc0ec.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG.8f583d90f68f35aadf7e6cd88160236e.JPG

Something like that seems to work - of course I'm making this up as I go as I can't find the book I need -

"How to put a 1955 ford popular 103E body on a hand made Nissan 350z Chassis and running gear for Dummies"

If you see a copy can you drop me a link please?

That's it for now hopefully more soon :)

Keyser Maximum Effort :thumbs:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mattross1313 said:

Just found this on eBay, even has a puzzled looking chap on the front cover!

Happy bidding :D 

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 13.18.53.png

Best post ever mate :thumbs:

Absolutely in stitches brilliant just brilliant -  Now can you send me a copy?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keyser said:

Best post ever mate :thumbs:

Absolutely in stitches brilliant just brilliant -  Now can you send me a copy?

Yea but who's the really odd looking crayon eater on the lathe :p

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, andybp said:

Yea but who's the really odd looking crayon eater on the lathe :p

I'd explain it to you on you're level but I ate all the crayons ;)  :p

• Haha 3

So I stopped eating crayons long enough to do a couple of hours last night and another 2 tonight

This is the progress .................

Lined up the chassis rails

IMG_3514.jpg.af4001b206db2743ad5339dbf09a04a9.jpg

Welded them up - I still didn't fully complete the welds in case it has to come off again :lol: 

IMG_3516.jpg.793947b6649f8bf43a78a015a1f7187c.jpg

The back so far

IMG_3517.jpg.003081387c1217343325fa00854a2e44.jpg

Bit of bracing

IMG_3521.jpg.5b47a1c77375450e207fad590edc6ebc.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg.eb917c59922919b460445d58701bc33a.jpg

Then I took it off the chassis table ...............

IMG_3523.jpg.3d530139c0a4290464f870e1e1572ab6.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg.8a5dd6776d664fd7e25e9b1ea05d2e02.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg.7e72492817a1ad4973192f016c1f2790.jpg

:lol:  What have I done ??!!!?? :lol:

So now I have to see how hard it is going to be and how much modification it will take to get the Pop shell to fit over this strange contraption :)

Stay tuned ;)

Keyser Maximum Effort  :thumbs:

• Like 8

I would love to to take the pi** but you have given me no ammunition so I will say well done good to see you back on track 

I know how hard it can be to stay motivated with these big projects and this is pretty damn big I think you've earned a crayon or 2 as a treat ;)

:)

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, rabbitstew said:

Jesus, at this rate you will have it finished before I get my mini back off the ramps! :thumbs:

Don’t believe it for a minute, some bits are quick but as soon as I get to lining the bodywork up you can spend days on one bit and it won’t look like anything’s been done. 

I’m also working on plan X behind the scenes, more on that if it happens :ninja: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ebized said:

Hope Mrs K knows what you are doing behind the scenes :scare::lol:

Shhhhhh - she must never know!!!!

But lets just say Plan "X" is coming to fruition - tune in Sunday/Monday for more on that :ninja: 

30 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Don’t think there enough letters in the alphabet to cover all your plans 

Don't be silly

A through Z

A1 through Z1

Then we do Roman numerals if that's not enough I'll switch to hexadecimal :thumbs: 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1