The ....Speedtail.....

AMT

https://carbuzz.com/news/meet-the-mclaren-speedtail-the-fastest-and-most-powerful-mclaren-ever-made

So there it is the anticipated McLaren F1 'successor'... 

I thought they might try and keep to the same principles, light, well packaged, compact (to an extent as most Mclaren's are...) and yet this thing shows up.  It looks like an unfinished 1950's concept car.  You get the Chiron, Agera's, wild but you could still drive about in them with it looking like...a car.  This, dare I say in my honest opinion - and I will, I'd be embarrassed to drive about in that, it looks odd, not quite right.

I know it matters not one wit to me or most of us ...anywhere, unless your a multi-millionaire but from the online 'noise' I've seen already on various sites, platforms and pictures, its not being well received.  I can see why.... theres no need for it to be that long or have that front wheel design or the 'unfinished' front end. 

Anyway thats Mr Opinion's ...opinion lol.

What are peoples thoughts?

Edited by AMT

The XJ220 is a genuinely simple but elegant looking thing... this is... it just looks unfinished. I'm sure theres a function but I wouldn't drive about in a car with 2 axles with two different wheels...no matter the cost lol  I'm not a fan of the camera mirrors and all these screens.  I think the F1 somehow managed to do it better with the inside but the pictures are not ideal with the wide angle lens, be better to see videos of it being looked over, which no doubt will appear with all the usual youtubers.  It's an interesting car but, I wouldn't thank you for it.  I wonder how many customers went to their preview (having paid their money) and went..... Oh.... 

They went a direction I don't think they should have went down.  I think they could have still got to the speed they needed without the wierd looks, wheel caps and silly door cameras.  Just as GM says the F1 still looks the business.  A simple but flowing design with just enough features and it wasn't stupidly long.  And I know it might not be as stable as some modern things with technology moving on but correct me I think it went....241mph... ...9 mph more and we need silly door cameras for that!?  (Although 0-186mph in less than 13 secs is nothing to be sniffed at, I'll give McLaren that...they are the kings of acceleration *tries to ignore Porsche, god their quick.. * lol

• Like 1

I did read another article on a different site noting that America wouldn't accept it or the 3 door layout due to mandatory side airbags not being met? However they can apply for that exemption they have for show and rare cars to be imported within the 25 years.  I just thought the UK had passed it and let it be ok.  This things meant to be a super speed GT...a tourer! I agree, Whats the point its not passing most countries regulations lol

Considering McLaren have never run this thing at speed, that extra "9 mph" is the theoretical lowest top speed (if that makes any sense to anyone else) it'll achieve. They've designed it to reach at leastleast 250mph. Considering the pre-production F1 was designed to do a mere 210mph it's fair to assume that it'll be more than that extra 9 mph.

The door camera legality is also overcome by the monitors in the cabin being in a fixed position. Apparently that meets the legal requirement (although I will caveat that with them not saying which country's laws they meet!).

The wheel caps are removable as well by the way. ;) Although McLaren do state that they are "very much functional", so maybe don't expect too much more than that extra 9 mph after all if you do take the caps off yours. :lol:

had a second look. Looks progressive. Bold move to try something new I guess. Tbh when I was a kid this is all I saw  in the future of hypercar production. LED displays, cameras, wheel covered for aerodynamics, able to carry passengers, electric hybrid configuration. Well done for trying to innovate. 

Apparently all sold out at £2,000,000 each. Guess Ill have to put my trust fund elsewhere! I think it looks cool. Designed with aerodynamics in mind. 

They will need mirrors. Just go with a thin and sleek design. Itll be so thin you probably wont notice its addition in the final version....

Having seen it on video I actually like the design over the chiron.

On 28/10/2018 at 11:18, GMballistic said:

Millionaire spends £1.8million odd on new McLaren Speedtail, ...doesn't even come with a few grands worth of bespoke luggage bags included. :thumbdown:

Thanks but nope.  :lol:

Jesus! What more do you want :lol: all monies are spent in R & D and Marketing hype. Feel free to purchase these luxury items from our onsite shop while you wait! Tea or Coffee?