Tyre fitting

Payco

Ok, so in a couple of months time I am going to be receiving delivery of my custom rims. Can anyone pass on a recommendation in Sussex/Kent/Surrey of a tyre fitter they would whole heartedly trust to carefully fit them with the tyres I will source myself. 

Thanks

Martin

Edited by Payco

Where do you normally go for new tyres? I’d just use them, after all you’re clearly happy with them so far. 

Ultimately though as long as they’re a decent size company and you have proof of before/after if they mess up, anyone will do. Even Kwikfit et al. 

Edited by Ekona

Can't recommend a fitter for you.

I can offer my experience though.

I have had wheels damaged over the years in the following ways.

1. Tyre fitters damaging the paint around the the wheel nut areas through careless but removal and fitting.

Just mention this to the fitters so they are aware and inspect this area before and after.

2. Metal tyre machine clamps can damage fragile lips NO MATTER HOW CAREFUL THEY ARE! 

I know this as a friend who had a tyre shop marked my rim despite all his best efforts.

On discovering this he reverse mounted the other wheels face down on the machine atop of plastic mounts so that the machine clamped the rear of the wheel instead.

3. Using a metal bar to break the tyre bead during removal of the tyre can scrape the paint at the lips.

Again worth mentioning you've had such damage in the past.

4. I had metal valves originally on my LMGT4s. Some numpty used a spanner to remove them and chipped the paint around valve area.

Then tried to use touch up paint to cover his numptiness!

Check this area also.

I saw this tyre machine on YouTube

Hunted all over Manchester and finally found a place that had one. Been back 5 times now over the years and won't go anywhere else. 

It takes them longer than their standard machine so I slip them an extra fiver a tyre.

But a £20 extra for 4 tyres is a price I'll gladly pay.

Megamount Smart machine

You can see it clamps the wheel center with a cloth coated clamp......no marks on the lip.

Plastic wheel breaks the bead not a metal bar :thumbs:

Hope you find a trustworthy place as I know before I found a careful place the thought of changing tyres filled me with dread!

Thanks Headphones really appreciate the lengthy response and agree. Hoping to find someone who can reverse mount the tyre. Jollyrancher and Dan, thanks too for your responses.