New TG presenters

coldel

Freddie Flintoff and Paddy McGuinness https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45937945

At least they pushed Rory Reid back off the main programme, he was definitely the weak link in the previous three. Really though, seems like anyone and his dog can become a TG presenter nowadays just because they claim they have liked cars.

23 hours ago, coldel said:

LeBlanc left to spend time back with the family which is fair enough - shame as he and Harris were really kicking on and were properly entertaining!

A real shame, but nowadays with the evolution of the interwebs, easily accessible gopros and monetising of youtube. You can get your reviews of 99% of cars elsewhere.

Like Jeremy Clarksons one I stopped watching after first 2 episodes on Prime. The production of both shows are top quality though. 

If you dont find Youtubers annoying then you can get away with never watching either show.

3 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

You can get your reviews of 99% of cars elsewhere.

I dont think anyone watched TG for reviews, well certainly not in the last decade and whilst Ekona and Codel, not mentioning any names :lol: claimed thats what they wanted at the demise of Clarkson etc it was never going to happen for the very reason you mention and Fifth Gear was always the review based motoring programme.

I think they soon realised the format presented by Clarkson (some blokes tw*tting around in exotica etc) was why people watched, hence the quick demise of CE. Shame as i thought MLB and CH were starting to get into their stride as a watchable replacement.

I always thought it would be a poisoned chalice and really cant work out how they got to these two, but who knows, might be good, cant but help think its dead in the water though.

Edited by Jetpilot

I can only speak for myself, i thoroughly enjoyed most TG's with Clarkson and crew, there were of course some poor ones, but did i really want to spend £75 on another viewing platform (already have sky) to just watch the GT, not really, so from a personal prospective, its the wrong viewing platform.

In a similar twist, would anyone have paid to watch CE or MLB, i doubt it.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

I just felt the three had run their course on TG and it needed some new ideas. I actually still watch some of the old ones which were the specials like the middle east roadsters episode and enjoy it. I think CH is a good choice and MLB was really working the public over but the choice of presenters really seems to have become a bit of a lottery of randoms. It would also be interesting to see what the uplift in retained past the free month Amazon subscribers was when GT launched.

Anyway, I do still live in the hope that one day JP might get my username right ;):lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

I dont think anyone watched TG for reviews, well certainly not in the last decade and whilst Ekona and Codel, not mentioning any names :lol: claimed thats what they wanted at the demise of Clarkson etc it was never going to happen for the very reason you mention and Fifth Gear was always the review based motoring programme.

I think they soon realised the format presented by Clarkson (some blokes tw*tting around in exotica etc) was why people watched, hence the quick demise of CE. Shame as i thought MLB and CH were starting to get into their stride as a watchable replacement.

I always thought it would be a poisoned chalice and really cant work out how they got to these two, but who knows, might be good, cant but help think its dead in the water though.

I think Top Gear with Matt Le Blanc and Chris Harris was the way forward if he didnt need to step away. Fifth Gear fair play they do what they are supposed to do. 

The old Top Gear Clarkson used to read out letter from viewers complaining about the lack of real car reviews, which turned into satire. Then he'd do a piece on a car some people can afford then the following week another complaint :lol: 

Years back people might have paid to see Top Gear or Grand Tour. But with easily accessible and over saturated Youtube. Not so sure. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

^^^ I think thats a massive sweeping statement and far from the truth, there was plenty of love for old TG from the car folk on here and other car forums i am on, i wont disagree its entertainment and probably drew in "regular" folk, but cars were at its core and the reason for me watching, i cant say i have watched anything else with Clarkson, May or Hammond.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

but cars were at its core and the reason for me watching, i cant say i have watched anything else with Clarkson, May or Hammond.

Definitely agree with you there JP. :thumbs:

I started watching Top Gear with my Dad and it was things like this below which kept me watching...

In typical fashion Clarkson and one of his co-hosts (Vicky Butler Henderson) had a specified budget to go out and buy a car each to tune up and race. He chose the SD1 and she chose a Vauxhall Nova (dropped a 2 Ltr red top engine in it). 

I still do love watching things like that and as TG progressed over the years I continued to enjoy the types of races, challenges etc that the presenters did together. 

Personally for me they ruined Top Gear when they took on Chris Evans as I can't stand that guy but then started to draw me back in as a viewer as soon as they got rid of him as I enjoyed watching Matt LeBlanc with Chris Harris (& even Rory to an extent). 

Now with the new line up again being made up of people I dislike I doubt I'll even watch a single episode. 

To get my car fix nowadays I'll just keep watching "Street Outlaws", "Kindig Customs" and others on Sky as there is much more choice nowadays. :thumbs: 

• Like 1

With you on that lot GMB. I find it tough to root out shows on sky though, so many involve an excessive amount of titting about and posturing when all I want to watch is stuff being modded or restored with care. I spent more time watching Mighty Car Mods and The Skid Factory on YouTube these days, as well as the superbly fascinating Engineering Explained.

• Like 2