Does snowfoam work

Kev

My Z made me scared of washing cars the paint was so soft. 

I just had my truck detailed. Stage 1 correction and sealed for the winter. I’m really pleased with the results. 

Does snowfoam actually clean cars? Now I have no swirls I don’t want to inflict any. 

D1E66A98-E92A-44E5-85A6-96113B4118CE.jpeg

2BA97FAC-BF19-423A-A746-203BCA51B188.jpeg

9CBC2BC7-87D7-4E4A-8CDC-3E784658596C.jpeg

C669C774-EB90-4020-B0AA-939A98897A6B.jpeg

BF49A24D-5B0F-4AB2-B59E-A05E939C1EA1.jpeg

Edited by Kev

Depends what you class as clean. It doesnt replace your usual shampoos. Its an extra stage to soften traffic film and larger debris and you rinse/jetwash off before moving in with the mitt and shampoo resulting in less “muck” on your vehicle for the contact stage so less chance of swirls. Having used various snowfoams and selling them, I would estimate even the best snowfoams only get rid of approx 1/3 of what your mitt (or sponge if your into self harming) does but with next to no damage where as no matter how careful and great your technique and products used are, theres always a chance of scratching and swirls when your moving something against the paintwork. 

Secondly though, and most importantly for some, it just looks cool. 

• Like 2

As above. Snowfoam isn’t meant to be a replacement for a full & proper wash, so if you’re expecting it to be a case of firing some foam at the car, rinsing and that’s it then no absolutely not.

Foam, and other pre-washes, are designed to remove loose dirt and soften the more stubborn stuff before you wash, nothing more. They are used, along with good wash technique, to minimise swirls. You’ll never eliminate swirls entirely.

There will of course be some people who will tell you that foam doesn’t work/do anything at all, however they tend to either be using terrible foam or poor technique (and yes, technique is applicable when using foam effectively!). There will be others that will state they only use foam to wash and the car is spotless, but that depends on your definition of clean... frankly for me, even a proper contactvwasj isn’t enough for me, until it’s been decontaminated & paint cleaner has been used, it ain’t clean!

• Like 3

Same as previous replies.

Snowfoam first to remove bigger bits of dirt and help lift/soften stuck on bits, then rinse, thoroughly.

Then two bucket, another rinse then wax or detail or some combination depending on how much time I have.

• Like 1

If your cars been sitting there with just dust on for a week or 2, you’ll get away with a snow foam. Any use of the car (even if it looks clean) it’s pre wash via snow foam and 2 bucket. 

Its role is is to simply lift dirt from the paintwork. It’ll never provide you with a deep clean. 

• Like 2

I had a similar issue when I leased a car, first brand new car. I didn’t want any swirls (even though there were some on delivery) and I used to do all sorts with the wash mitt- tried rotating it as I cleaned to avoid any grit contacting the paint, would rinse the mitt several times each panel. I would hose the mitt down rather than just rinse in a clean bucket. I even kept the car dirty to avoid a contact wash

In the end I still got swirls

As ilogikal says, you can’t avoid them 

• Like 1

I became so obsessed with my paintwork I ended up changing the car from black to red just because it hides the swirls slightly better :lol:

A blame nissan for such soft paint for my problems:(. Tried every snowfoam and wash technique but in the end swirls came back just slowed the process down.  

6 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

but the snow foam only works with dusty cars

No, no it doesn't.

6 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I only wash in straight lines if that makes sense to avoid swirls...

It depends on what you mean by swirls. Technically you'll avoid causing the spiderwebbing traditionally thought of as "swirls", but the term actually refers to micro-marring a lot of the time these days, which you won't avoid. It's just that your marring will all be in straight(ish) lines. :lol:

• Like 1

I did it once worked for me in the summer. Then again the car only had some dust no real dirt. Possibly but using the right products helps and also hard paste wax works wonders if applied once in a while. Thats why I avoid black cars. They look cool but you see everything on them.

On my Nismo the white paint hides those marks well. but I have to put my cheek against the body of the car to notice those micro marks on the car. Why I love White paint. Better to have straight lines than swirls though. Thats just my 2 cents.

The best way round swirls is buying a banger and taking it to a car wash. After having the RC I decided to get a cheaper car so I don’t need to worry about anyone keying it, deer running into it on the motorway and swirls (all of that happened to the RC). Thankfully no car park dents but I don’t worry so much now

The trouble is I found a car in good nick and it’s a nice place to be in.... and now I’m itching to detail it..... :doh: 

Thanks for all the advice. 

It’s been sealed so that should help and the detailer said that vw paint is much harder than nissan. 

Im sure once the new (to me) novelty wears off, the paranoia will subside. 

I drove over to London for this particular van because it was in really nice condition. It’s never been “worked” and the previous owner loved it. 

I was hoping snowfoam would be a miracle solution. It’s huge. Washing is going to be a pain in the ass. 

I bought the kit to snow foam recently.  It’s okay I suppose and I totally get the science behind it. However you still have to get the mit out so it elongates the entire washing process. 

Yes it looks cool and it does help. I found the biggest benefit was moving from hose pipe to pressure washer.  Much better at shifting dirt. 

I’ve thought of using the waterless wash stuff. Don’t worry not on it’s own- normal wash regime but spray that on for just the contact wash to lubricate a bit more. Not sure if it would help never used the stuff

1 hour ago, LRF4N said:

I’ve thought of using the waterless wash stuff. Don’t worry not on it’s own- normal wash regime but spray that on for just the contact wash to lubricate a bit more. Not sure if it would help never used the stuff

I use the Williams branded one on my lease car. It’s amazing for what it is. 

Apply it with a microfibre cloth, then buff with a clean one. 

2 hours ago, LRF4N said:

On its own? :scare:

I hose it down first. 

It’s the quickest way to wash a company/lease car and the wax leaves a decent shine. Rain beads quite well after. 

It’s either that or the local Eastern European car was if it’s raining :)

10 hours ago, Ekona said:

It's not really washing though, it's dragging the dirt and crap off the paint by brute force.

Well it looks clean after. The car is black so shows dirt after a day or so. 

The paint is in good condition. It’s volvo onyx black. Again must be much harder than nissan paint. 

The 350z scratched so easily. 

The car ive washed with the waterless stuff has no scratches or bad swirls. I did take care when washing the z. 2 bucket etc, but the paint was like cheese. 

When I'm washing my old merc which already has rust and circling in the paint I merely snow foam it, use the brush on the pressure washer and then spray it all off. Works fine for that car.

When washing a car I care about its: Snowfoam, pressure wash, Shampoo with mitt (one bucket for washing and clean bucket to rinse mitt), pressure wash, dry then polish. Or if i'm going all out i'll sometimes use a clay bar and a wax.

Always always always wax* after using polish, else you’re exposing fresh paint straight to the ravages of nature and all the crap in the air. 

It’s fine to wax but not polish, but not polish and not wax. 

*for wax, read protective layer of your choice. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Always always always wax* after using polish, else you’re exposing fresh paint straight to the ravages of nature and all the crap in the air. 

It’s fine to wax but not polish, but not polish and not wax. 

*for wax, read coating... because 2018. 

FTFY. ;)

:lol:

• Haha 1