High flow cats and akraprovic exhaust.

Shep1982

Hi guys, 

I seem to be on hear alot lately LMAO.  I have am akraprovic cat back exhaust fitted, but although a quality exhaust it's still a little too quiet for ny liking. Has anyone got this exhaust and fitted some high flows and if so does it increases sound, I hope it does? If you guys got a different exhaust but fitted HFC can't you let me know if there was a difference after fitting and a rough percentage of the difference. 

I already have an uprev map from Horsham but if I'd get HFC I will go back for a second map, which brings me to my next three questions.

1. Can anyone conform a gain in power with the HFC fitted.

2. How much did it cost generally for HFC to be fitted.

3. Pops and bangs, has anyone got this option and does it work with high flow cats. 

Many thanks

Can't comment on your setup specifically but HFCs will definitely make your exhaust significantly louder, and you should gain about 10-15bhp.

H-Dev fitted mine to my 350z for £84 so guessing a 370z will be similar. 

I chose not to have the pops n bangs map put on, unless you have test pipes you'll end up blowing your cats to hell because it's just unburnt fuel igniting in your exhaust. 

If you're gonna get an UpRev done again once you've got them fitted make sure you get the post-cat O2 sensors turned off, that way you eliminate the chance of getting the EML pop up :thumbs:

i had some berk HFC fitted just over a week ago after i found the ark grip a bit tame (similar situation to you), and it is ALOT loader than before but i love it. cant comment of gains yet though. I get a bit of drone now between 2000-2400 RPM give or take but its nothing i cant cope with, but once it hit 4000 rpm its an absolute animal.

One think to note is that you will get some hiss and rasp once the stock cats are gone though

Thank you both for the comments. I'm defo going to get some high flows next year then. I do not mind any hiss or rasp. Will add to the character of the car :-) With a second remap also maybe a little extra power aswell as getting the post cat 02 sensors bypassed.

Cheers again., Next year is going to be very exciting indeed :)

• Like 1

I had a custom cat back and then added the Torqen HFC’s to my 370z. It definitely improved the sound, it made it a different tone, deeper, slightly raspier and with the typical HFC hiss. I’d say it was about 20% louder, cold start probably more. I’m pretty sure I posted a video of my exhaust sound on here not that long ago.

What I will say is car felt more responsive, its meant to add around 20bhp which is cool, but mine have a metallic rattle around 4k rpm. I think fitting was around £100 from memory

Edited by W8BGS
Added video link

Brilliant thanks, just waiting for black Friday or January sales to get a good deal on the torqen one ;-) Since having it fitted, have you any regrets or is it just additional smiles per miles. By the way sick plates. What are those gel ones?

On 27/10/2018 at 18:12, Shep1982 said:

Brilliant thanks, just waiting for black Friday or January sales to get a good deal on the torqen one ;-) Since having it fitted, have you any regrets or is it just additional smiles per miles. By the way sick plates. What are those gel ones?

No regrets, would prefer the rattle to go, but I much prefer the deeper sound now. 

Cheers. They are the Exclusive Registrations 4D plates. I used to have the gel plates, but these look a lot better.

HFCs with any catback will significantly increase volume on start up and when driving above 3,000 revs.  I had a fairly civilised Stillen exhaust and then added Cobra HFCs.  It wasn't a set up I felt very comfortable with when starting the car in a quiet residential road, but once the initial din had died down it was fine because the additional volume only  kicked in when you wanted it to.

Can't say I ever noticed much if any performance gains from adding HFCs.

Edited by sipar69

Cheers guys for all your opinions and comments. I'm pretty sure now in going to get a HFC and have spoken with Horsham dev and the guys,will fit and do a 're remap on it. Just got to waited for the Torqen guys to get back to me with a few answers and then I'm set to go :-) 

Cheers again guys.

Oh one last question. Have any of you guys had any issues with MOT and emissions tests?

15 hours ago, W8BGS said:

No regrets, would prefer the rattle to go, but I much prefer the deeper sound now. 

Cheers. They are the Exclusive Registrations 4D plates. I used to have the gel plates, but these look a lot better.

Glad I'm not he only one with a raspy rattle 

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC that’s the expensive and loud titanium CBE? Even HFCs will 

make it silly loud. It’s ART Decats you need to reduce drone, rasp and volume. I’ve got one connected to my 370z Motordyne shockwave which isn’t even too loud. 

Heres pic of 200 cell custom cat similar to berk, then the stock 400+ cell core which is much longer and a vid of my ART Pipes plus shockwave cold start 

327A608C-4323-41CE-AE14-A35479235CF4.jpeg

C10105A4-EC5A-4D85-BC4E-A1F55E75EC95.jpeg

7C2487C6-F80C-4E97-A8AF-A2130F2BDF8E.jpeg

https://imgur.com/gallery/nOtyR52 

it’s quieter than it sounds and  with windows closed under 4000rpm it’s quite refined but there’s always a low constant burble to be heard outside. Climb the Revs and the v6 note gets higher pitched yet still deep. It has to be the most unrestrictive setup, I had about 360bp with my Ark grip  but the shockwave is so much more free flowing I’m gonna claim 370bhp now even though I can’t be sure, it’s guess. 

Edited by nub
Added

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, it's been a couple of weeks but I've had the high flows fitted and panel filters with a second remap. I wasn't expecting much to be honest but I gained 21bhp and 20ish torque this is my second map as well. The car feels much more responsive and defo a little faster. The power and response is brilliant but it wasn't the main reason I went to get HFCs. I needed my exhaust to sound a little better. Let's just say I am completely in love with the sound. HFC completely changed the sound and volume. Everyone that has heard my car before fitment and after has said it sounds filthy now. One of the best sounds theve heard. It starts with a low deep rumble at low rpm then opens up into a scream similar to a race car at higher rpm. Then there's the rasp which I actually love, I know some hate it but I love it. Before my friends said my car looked the part and was quick but lacked sound. Now there jealous :-) I tried to upload a sound clip but this site doesn't seem to allow video footage. 

Eitherway I'm super happy. A big thanks to Adrian at Torqen for getting me my filters next day and for the Torqen HFC obviously. Also a big thanks to the guys at Horsham Developments for generally being great guys and doing an amazing job as usual :-) 

Edited by Shep1982
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shep1982 said:

Okay, it's been a couple of weeks but I've had the high flows fitted and panel filters with a second remap. I wasn't expecting much to be honest but I gained 21bhp and 20ish torque this is my second map as well. The car feels much more responsive and defo a little faster. The power and response is brilliant but it wasn't the main reason I went to get HFCs. I needed my exhaust to sound a little better. Let's just say I am completely in love with the sound. HFC completely changed the sound and volume. Everyone that has heard my car before fitment and after has said it sounds filthy now. One of the best sounds theve heard. It starts with a low deep rumble at low rpm then opens up into a scream similar to a race car at higher rpm. Then there's the rasp which I actually love, I know some hate it but I love it. Before my friends said my car looked the part and was quick but lacked sound. Now there jealous :-) I tried to upload a sound clip but this site doesn't seem to allow video footage. 

Eitherway I'm super happy. A big thanks to Adrian at Torqen for getting me my filters next day and for the Torqen HFC obviously. Also a big thanks to the guys at Horsham Developments for generally being great guys and doing an amazing job as usual :-) 

Sounds good 

Pop a clip on you tube and post the link up I'd love to hear it

2 hours ago, Shep1982 said:

We definitely need videos now!

On 14/12/2018 at 20:22, Shep1982 said:

I had a similar reaction when I added HFCs to a fairly tame Stillen exhaust on my previous Z.  Totally transformed the sound.  For my money, one of the quieter CBEs and HFCs is ideal.