Focus ST MK2 gearbox woes......

nowhereboy

Don't want to pay for membership on the ST forum as it's pretty quiet over there. I have an issue and maybe someone here can help?

So driving along quite sedately yesterday and attempting to hit third gear and it wouldn't engage. Clutch is fine but the gear stick feels sponge like when attempting to select third, no click when entering gear. Shortly after I lost all upward gears IE - 1st, 3rd and 5th. All the downward gears are fine and work as normal - 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse. 

I fully expected it to be a cable issue, checked by the gear stick and all cables attached fine, likewise by the engine all the cables are in the brackets and connected fine. 

Really stumped to be honest, unlikely to be a clutch issue, doesn't appear to be a cable issue but it's possible something is going wrong that's not visible. Obviously I'm concerned it could be the gearbox itself but surely if that was the case I'd be getting nasty noises, smells and a lot of drama. 

Any ideas? I'm taking it to my tuner on Monday but was hopeful to fix it myself over the weekend, just not sure what else to check?

When I had my ST I had a problem with reverse, when going backwards it would shake the gear stick back and forth quite a lot. It even jumped out of gear a few times. It turned out I needed a gearbox refurb. Luckily it was under warranty. Don’t know if this helps but could be expensive :scare:

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out the previous owner had fitted and removed a short shift at some point but not removed it properly causing tension on the cables, my mechanic thinks one of the cables has snapped or bent somewhere out of sight. Cheap fix but had to wait for the part and trying to get a day off work to get it sorted. 

Currently driving the car and using 2'nd gear to pull away, hope the clutch holds up.