[SOLD]Datsun 240z restored

grahamc

The Datsun 240Z was the first Japanese sports car to be commercially successful internationally. It was the demonstration that Japan could build a fast, reliable and enjoyable car to drive and that Japan had become serious competition for European and American vehicles.

This car is an UK original, RHD original Datsun 240z. Its 1 of about 125 in the UK with about 50% of them being declared SORN. 

The car was originally silver (see pictures for original condition) and was in need of restoration. I bought the car from a gentleman in the 240z club (Z Club) and continued to drive the car for 6-8 weeks, before deciding to take it off the road and complete a shell up restoration. This was a much longer process than original anticipated, taking a little over 3 years and sadly during that time circumstances changed quite drastically, hence the car being up for sale. 

The restoration is completely documented with over 250 photos. The car has been completely stripped down, media blasted to reveal ALL the rust and everything was repaired, rewired, everything.  

The car itself:-  

* 2.4 Straight 6 Petrol Engine 150bhp 
 * 5 Speed Manual Transmission from a 280ZX
 * Brand new Mishimoto radiator
 * All new window rubbers
 * All new rubbers and bushings
 * Hilux brakes
 * Flared arches
 * 17" black Rota wheels to fill the arches with brand new tyres
 * New black fender mirrors
 * New black bumpers
 * New black front spoiler
 * Front strut brace
 * Rear strut brace
 * Clear front indicators
 * Clear side indicators
 * New front windscreen
 * Brand new headlamps

The exterior is painted to a very high quality in Nissan GTR red! 

Unfortunately due to the change in circumstances the car cannot be completed, however it is roadlegal and has a valid/current MOT. 

The bad points:-

* the interior needs some work to complete the restoration (the seats need a refurb and the dash has a missing component)
 * the doorcards need attention
 * the front suspension has not settled to the correct height after being rebuilt (it sits high at the front)

I am sure I have forgotten stuff on the car, there was no expense spared on this restoration! The car is currently in storage in Horsham and the price is £25,000 

240z_old_1.jpg

240z_old_2.jpg

datsun1.jpg

datsun2.jpg

datsun3.jpg

datsun4.jpg

datsun5.jpg

datsun6.jpg

datsun7.jpg

datsun8.jpg

datsun9.jpg

datsun10.jpg

datsun11.jpg

datsun12.jpg

datsun13.jpg

datsun14.jpg

datsun15.jpg

• Like 3

Man I wish this had come up for sale a year ago! GLWTS

Having seriously looked into buying one of these, you are lucky to get a ratty one that would need a decent amount of bodywork for less than £25k.

Hahaa, you dont want to know the state of it a year ago..... :)

Yeah, they are quite rare and becoming difficult to find. Still needs the finishing touches, but gives the new owner a chance to personalise it - otherwise its solid! 

Have watched this re build with some interest over the last 2 years or so, sorry you don't get to finish it but as Paddy has said, worth every penny given the time, effort and money invested. Sorry to see it have to go but GLWTS. Another one to "tinker" with :thumbs:@Keyser

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 20/10/2018 at 10:53, grahamc said:

The Datsun 240Z was the first Japanese sports car to be commercially successful internationally. It was the demonstration that Japan could build a fast, reliable and enjoyable car to drive and that Japan had become serious competition for European and American vehicles.

This car is an UK original, RHD original Datsun 240z. Its 1 of about 125 in the UK with about 50% of them being declared SORN. 

The car was originally silver (see pictures for original condition) and was in need of restoration. I bought the car from a gentleman in the 240z club (Z Club) and continued to drive the car for 6-8 weeks, before deciding to take it off the road and complete a shell up restoration. This was a much longer process than original anticipated, taking a little over 3 years and sadly during that time circumstances changed quite drastically, hence the car being up for sale. 

The restoration is completely documented with over 250 photos. The car has been completely stripped down, media blasted to reveal ALL the rust and everything was repaired, rewired, everything.  

* All new window rubbers
 * Hilux brakes
 * Flared arches
 * New black bumpers
 * Front strut brace
 * Rear strut brace
 * Clear front indicators
 * Clear side indicators
 * New front windscreen
 * Brand new headlamps

Unfortunately due to the change in circumstances the car cannot be completed, however it is roadlegal and has a valid/current MOT. 

* the interior needs some work to complete the restoration (the seats need a refurb and the dash has a missing component)
 * the front suspension has not settled to the correct height after being rebuilt (it sits high at the front)

I am sure I have forgotten stuff on the car, there was no expense spared on this restoration! The car is currently in storage in Horsham and the price is £25,000 

240z_old_1.jpg

240z_old_2.jpg

datsun1.jpg

datsun2.jpg

datsun3.jpg

datsun4.jpg

datsun5.jpg

datsun6.jpg

datsun7.jpg

datsun8.jpg

datsun9.jpg

datsun10.jpg

datsun11.jpg

datsun12.jpg

datsun13.jpg

datsun14.jpg

datsun15.jpg

Sexy looks great good luck with the sale

On 20/10/2018 at 12:53, grahamc said:

* All new window rubbers
 * Hilux brakes
 * Flared arches
 * New black bumpers
 * Front strut brace
 * Rear strut brace
 * Clear front indicators
 * Clear side indicators
 * New front windscreen
 * Brand new headlamps

240z_old_1.jpg

240z_old_2.jpg

datsun1.jpg

datsun2.jpg

datsun3.jpg

datsun4.jpg

datsun5.jpg

datsun6.jpg

datsun7.jpg

datsun8.jpg

datsun9.jpg

datsun10.jpg

datsun11.jpg

datsun12.jpg

datsun13.jpg

datsun14.jpg

datsun15.jpg

Car looks amazing! Only wish I could afford something like this! GLWTS!! 

Coincidentally I'm also in Jordan :D Hope you have a great time there! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2019 at 16:08, Rikz2004 said:

Car looks amazing! Only wish I could afford something like this! GLWTS!! 

Coincidentally I'm also in Jordan :D Hope you have a great time there! 

Yeah, nice place.... food got a little boring after 3 weeks though. Hope you had a good time.... 

On 23/01/2019 at 15:36, glrnet said:

Who did your paint work @grahamc

Paint was done by Village Garage in East Grinstead

• Like 1

• 1 month later...