Early ban on New Petrol and Diesel Vehicles

GranTurismoEra

Article on Ban

The report claims that the need to proceed with the transition to electric vehicles is the only way Britain’s automotive industry can remain competitive. It also suggests that other counties have already taken the lead with battery manufacturing, so seeking to catch up isn’t worthwhile.  Instead, “aggressive targeting of high-value aspects of the EV and battery supply chains” are cited as a more lucrative investment for the UK. 

Rachel Reeves MP, Chair of the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee, said: “Our EV charging infrastructure is simply not fit for purpose. We cannot expect consumers to overcome ‘range anxiety’ and switch to electric vehicles if they cannot be confident of finding convenient, reliable points to regularly charge their cars.”

Interesting. If you really want your Petrol/Diesel vehicles you would need to drive it on the track or illegally. But they will probably go with a staged phase out. Where you would be allowed to drive hybrid petrols for the time being

This ban applies to new car sales and expansion of EV manufacturing as well as infrastructure

I read somewhere that Paris are taking these ideas seriously. When and If a full ban comes into play, how would this be enforced or policed would be an interesting question. ANPR, Patrols, CCTV?

Edited by GranTurismoEra

I am pretty sure it's only going to be ban on sales. They can't ban old cars it would so unenvironmentally friendly.

I couldn't see a date in there for actually banning them from the road completely.

• Like 3

As above it’s only on sales. As for the power needed to run electric cars. . . . Been waiting for a long time for the first new nuclear power plant to be built and the old ones will start being decommissioned in the next 10 years = no base load = power shortages = useless cars. 

• Like 1

There is usually an excess of energy available at night, things like wind turbines run day and night whilst we sleep. It just means people need to charge overnight. But then that leads to infrastructure discussions which clearly if you drive around London the charging infrastructure is absent, in that 90% of people cannot charge from home due to lack of driveway access. And as above, its the sales of new cars that the ban reflects, not banning people driving petrol cars. 

Makes sense the sale of new vehicles. Which makes me think future performance and sports vehicles will be electric or at the very least hybrid/petrol performance. Since a lot of people will have no driveway access. Good luck charging on the street overnight, Just needs some twerp to light the cable on fire lol

A fully electric 420Z, or GTR R37 with Active Sound Actuator for fake petrol engine sounds..... Errmmmm........

Other option is move to the third world or a remote island with decent infrastructure pay some Minister and drive what you want relatively brand new

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Its the way its going - clearly we are going to run out of material to burn in cars as well as reducing environmental impact so it does need to be electric in future. 99% of people drive cars to just get around and do not care about the actual theatre of driving so moving electric will not bother them one bit - the rest of us that are more interested in the experience are just not on the governments radar unfortunately! The challenges though in short are:

Building batteries at scale

Reducing the price of electric vehicles

Creating an infrastructure to charge electric vehicles 

There are the political and economic factors to manage also. The government recently reduced the grant for buying an EV, this means that its going only one way and that is down until it disappears altogether. There has been free charging points up until now, these will all become a charged service once electric cars are mainstream. The VED charged on cars brings in a substantial amount of tax, this will need to be recovered by the government, either by passing it direct to electric cars (currently they pay nothing) or via a taxation against the population in some other format. Petrol is also heavily taxed by the government, this will also need to be recovered in some form of other taxation. So on and so forth. 

In terms of cars which sound great etc. really that is only for the minority, we will just have to make sure we keep these cars in great condition and have deep pockets to fill them with petrol we probably have to import ourselves :lol:

23 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Makes sense the sale of new vehicles. Which makes me think future performance and sports vehicles will be electric or at the very least hybrid/petrol performance. Since a lot of people will have no driveway access. Good luck charging on the street overnight, Just needs some twerp to light the cable on fire lol

A fully electric 420Z, or GTR R37 with Active Sound Actuator for fake petrol engine sounds..... Errmmmm........

Other option is move to the third world or a remote island with decent infrastructure pay some Minister and drive what you want relatively brand new

Active sounds would be good, today I'll have a V8, tomorrow a V10 and then maybe a V12 on sundays :)

That's my point, I'm only 38 and I still don't think this is remotely doable even in the wildest dreams.

But on a wider note, aren't we all slowly dying really...?

*scene fades out to some soft music and fluffy clouds in a bright blue sky*

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ekona said:

Never ever going to happen in my lifetime, so I give not two hoots about it.

I am with Dan on this, it will be many generations before this happens. I am sure I read earlier this year that if Tesla produced 500,000 cars a year that would require the entire world lithium resources . .  no more battery operated dildo's for you lot! :lol: Since there is nearly 100,000,000 cars produced every year it aint happening, not for a loooong time; if at all 

• Haha 1

I agree its years (decades) away unless some seizmic shift happens with government/legislation. I work for a big company who “say” they are green and environmentally responsible yet my 7 options for a company car are ALL deisel. 

I just cant get on board with all this ev thing for just about every reason listed above and i can in no way see its "green", apart from the emissions bit, we are still raping the planet for materials, still polluting with the electricity needed to charge the batteries, i have yet to see any conclusive evidence that over a lifetime of the vehicle with everything considered its actually better for the environment, i cant help but think with the way tech moves, in 25 years time ev will be extinct and something much more viable will be available.  

• Like 2

Diesels where decade ago modern revelation and where it ended up. Big "fraud"

To me smells the same with EV's

Been reading couple a weeks ago article from a scientist who is now in his late 70's and was pro all this global warming stuff and climate changes, actually he was some leading expert in that field... 

As per his words all computer modelings where not complete enough and there is no actual proof on global warming impacted by humans. He admitted he was wrong for years.

As per him just an eruption of vulcano discharges massive loads of gases which takes car a grate deal of time to accumulate

I dont think anyone can dispute the planet is getting warmer. You only have to watch documentaries and look at stats. My mum said (and i have seen old pics) the local river used to freeze every winter and people ice scated on it. Thats not happened in my lifetime. Whether it is just a climate phase the planet is going through or a direct result of mankinds actions can spark a little debate but either way, going “greener” is the right thing for us to do. Its just there has to be a compelling reason for consumers to change. The price has to be attractive or the infrastructure/USP of electric cars much better than ICE cars. 

Comparing it to phones, we have been in the Nokia phase for so long now where everyone wants the 8310. It does the job, has decent features and is reasonably priced. The next phase needs to be either the cheap mass produced korean/japanese type phones that do everything the 8310 did but in technicolour and for less and/or it needs to be the iphone where the infrastructure (itunes/apps) and the performance (ios/camera/screen etc) is enough to make consumers willing to spend the extra. 

Gonna be interesting or boring (depending on where you sit) to see how it goes and no one has even mentioned the hydrogen fuel cell cars, they may turn out to be the android phones in the analogy above. 

Going EV for green reasons is a fad and the wrong reason to do so imho. I’m not convinced EVs are any better long-term than ICE cars, maybe hydrogen is but all this tech is just being rushed through for a political and/or publicity reason. Right now it’s hipster to be EV, but will it stay like that forever?