CAL-85

CAL-85

this isn't build really so mods can move or delete if required.

i bought a 104k gt from kendal wasn't put off by the mileage as i am aware these are bullet proof and was serviced regularly while the mileage was put on.  

When i bought the car it was bit rough as a 14 YO car is likely to be, but seemed a very genuine car that had been taken care of (reasonably) previous owner had a dog and although it didn't smell it was covered in dog hair :thumbdown: even under the ashtray....

IMG_E3263.JPG

On 18/10/2018 at 21:28, CAL-85 said:

this isn't build really so mods can move or delete if required.

i bought a 104k gt from kendal wasn't put off by the mileage as i am aware these are bullet proof and was serviced regularly while the mileage was put on.  

When i bought the car it was bit rough as a 14 YO car is likely to be, but seemed a very genuine car that had been taken care of (reasonably) previous owner had a dog and although it didn't smell it was covered in dog hair :thumbdown: even under the ashtray....

IMG_E3263.JPG

So although it looks pretty clean......... it really wasn't so the last month and a half has been spend of cleaning cleaning and more cleaning!!!! my popeye arms can vouch :D  anyway alloys had ha recent refurb so good already and although they are on budget rubber just now will just replace as and when.

Edited by CAL-85

Just now, CAL-85 said:

So although it looks pretty clean......... it really wasn't so the last month and a half has been spend of cleaning cleaning and more cleaning!!!! my popeye arms can vouch :D  anyway alloys had ha recent refurb so good already and although they are not on budget rubber just now will just replace as and when.

So the cleaning started by tooth pasting the headlights.... and it won't last but was happy with the initial results and just to be (kinda) working on a car again.

IMG_3264.JPG

• Like 1

The Front bumper and probs bonnet aswell could do with a respray but will just see how i go before getting this done its been clay bared polished and waxed now... really happy with how it looks for a 14 YO car but will see what else i need to have done before paying for resprays...

IMG_3297.JPG

Edited by CAL-85

and of course forgot to mention replaced boot gas struts as within a week of buying the car it had tried to decapitate me twice!

so just sourced through eBay and fitted the wrong way the first time... they eventually fitted fine and i don't need to worry now!  no pics of this but if evidence is required can submit :lol:

and as mentioned in my intro to the forum i fitted what i call ricer lights under the rear strut brace 

, i think it looks good, they don't need to be on and are easy removed this will probe get hate but after leasing for the last 4 years at least i wanted to personalise my car as av not been able to and although an exhaust woulda been my first choice budget after buying means lights will need to do  :lol:IMG_3309.JPG.da31d20517bdcc865c477b82c8d90320.JPGIMG_3310.JPG.d986da5f6a28fe8237a4b79023c25649.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CAL-85 said:

So the cleaning started by tooth pasting the headlights.... and it won't last but was happy with the initial results and just to be (kinda) working on a car again.

IMG_3264.JPG

You can get UV sealer fairly cheaply from ebay.

Just wipe on a leave after you've cleaned them, it lasts fairly well.

5 hours ago, Jay84 said:

RICER LIGHTS?!?! .....I actually kinda like them, where did you power them from?

Haha thanks! i do too, just from the cigarete lighter socket so one wire runs then into spare wheel space in the boot.  They were very cheap from Amazon and have remote to change colours. :lol: 

looking good. You said you replaced the boot struts, does your boot actually open on the button press? I have to use both hands to open it by pushing the button and pulling the lid up. Tried the washers in the poppers but that only helped once and now back to normal two hands :( 

Just now, raptor07GT said:

looking good. You said you replaced the boot struts, does your boot actually open on the button press? I have to use both hands to open it by pushing the button and pulling the lid up. Tried the washers in the poppers but that only helped once and now back to normal two hands :( 

I had the same issue and found that the catch that holds the latch was loose (the bottom bit). That can be adjusted to sit a little higher, that might help.

6 hours ago, raptor07GT said:

No just replaced the gas boot struts to stop myself getting decapitated :lol:  i do need to use two hands to open, so will look into doing a fix in future but at the moment it doesn't bother me too much!

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

Very different to your last car!! Gorgeous GM 350z, enjoy ownership :thumbs:

Thanks mate yours is defiantly inspirational, mine will never be as clean! BTW how did u wrap ur door handles with the tint........ I just done the passenger door pull quickly today and its ok but really not great, the door handles need done but don't think i have that skill!:lol:

31 minutes ago, CAL-85 said:

Thanks mate yours is defiantly inspirational, mine will never be as clean! BTW how did u wrap ur door handles with the tint........ I just done the passenger door pull quickly today and its ok but really not great, the door handles need done but don't think i have that skill!:lol:

And yeah very different its so strange going to an old car from a new one but i have just always loved the Zed, and since buying this I've found some not bad deals on a 370z so this is now a possibility where before i was just looking at another Cupra or a 140i or its next derivative.

anyway heres my poorly done door pull

IMG_3325.JPG

For the door handles I tried two different techniques, the one is wrapped in two pieces and the other in four. The handle in four pieces looks almost as good and went on alot better and should last longer. 

Water spray bottle, bit of heat and you'll do it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So after a good few months of living with the zed, I'm still loving it!  The sound has too be the biggest thing for me and although i haven't done the exhaust yet it is next on my to do list.

The car went in for service in January so, usual bits and had the spark plugs and gearbox oil done as well.  The banana arm went a few weeks before the service, so got that taken care off at the same time, the knocking noise was terrible so glad to have that taken care of.  Also changed out the interior and Reg plate lights to LED's makes such a diffrence.

This month it went in for MOT and passed with flying colours just noted the two front tyres need done, which i knew anyway, and so finally got some decent rubber on the front yesterday (Michelin pilot sport 4).  Still budgets on the back but to be honest i like doing skids so ok with this just now :D

Today has been spent giving a very good wash and wax and its looking pretty good again in the sun!  You all like pic's so here they are - 

IMG_E3545.JPG

IMG_E3342.JPG

IMG_3422.JPG

IMG_3429.JPG

IMG_3546.JPG

IMG_E3547.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

Edited by CAL-85

Next on the list is -

Exhaust - I'll be going for a custom system cat back at this stage - i can decat as i have friendly MOT place, but don't want to limit myself yet.  I like the look of the ark grip, so will be going with something like that with burnt tips as i like the look of these as well.  But not sure what i want sound wise yet, I am going to Simon who a few on here will be aware of, he is a wizard but will just talk it over to see what i should go for, i originally said i wanted it to sound like the standard exhaust, just a bit louder, but tbh i have had cars i couldn't really do anything to for over 10 years (lease cars etc) so i am now thinking i want it to be ridiculously loud, and my neighbours will hate me :lol::lol: 

Headlight tints - just ordered this yesterday chameleon tint, i am not great with wraps etc, but was really cheap so will give it a go and see if i manage it.

Alloys - these were refurbed just before i bought it only one alloy had a mark and another wheel was a bit buckled before the refurb and wasn't fixed.  I have since embarrassingly enough curbed one as well and i think i will go a bit out there with the colour when i get these so looking at a kinda pearl blue colour (open to opinions on this)  but will probs be after summer by the time i get these now.

Strut - When its in getting alloys done i will be getting the zed rear strut brace painted the same colour of the wheel as i hate just having it standard silver.

Arches - There is a very small amount of rust starting on the rear arches so i know i should get this sorted sooner rather than later, the the guy at the bodyshop was amazed how good they are fore the age of the car, so at the moment just making sure these are totally free from debris when i am cleaning as obviously thanks why these suffer from this and maybe get it done next year.

Front bumper - Like all our cars the bumper suffers from chips etc, the car has had this resprayed before and tbh i would say poorly so will get this sorted at some point and at the same time get rid of the current reg plate holder smoothed and then a bracket for Japanese style replacement.

Plenum Spacer and Remap - Again this is just at some point but props into next year the way things are going will be getting plenum spacer and a remap done at some stage, i know the plenum is easy to sort but wouldn't do it myself so will just get it done at the next service.

thats about it for plans at the moment but if i will the lotto it would def be a lot longer list! :lol::please:

Cal

Edited by CAL-85