Another "what cars" question.... for £70k

grahamc

Im not suprised lol, I had a company director who snubbed the 911 and other cars for a Cayman S. So depends what you want out of it. Sometimes you have an overly fast car and cant really hear it sing till you are in illegal territory..better to drive a slower car fast right?

my brother did get a 911 non turbo NA 2016 350 bhp...still pricey at £70,000. Think its a 3.8 too...sounds amazing

39 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Im not suprised lol, I had a company director who snubbed the 911 and other cars for a Cayman S. So depends what you want out of it. Sometimes you have an overly fast car and cant really hear it sing till you are in illegal territory..better to drive a slower car fast right?

Its not actually much, if any slower, Id certainly fancy ,myself as being faster in a Cayman S than a 911S down a bumpy B road. I cant speak for your director but I know Im not alone in not really "getting" the way a 911 drives; while I can totally appreciate the engineering and general awesomeness they drive differently from pretty much anything else, and although some people think they are the bollocks @Ekona its not to everyones taste, Id take a better balanced MR every time personally. 

Tbh it took me a year of owning mine before I "got" how a 911 is supposed to be driven. Once I did though I was hooked, and it p*ssed all over my brother's Cayman R for me in terms of fun. They're not for everyone though, I'll give you that, and I imagine owning an older 964 would be a totally different and MUCH more challenging drive!

3 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

my brother did get a 911 non turbo NA 2016 350 bhp...still pricey at £70,000. Think its a 3.8 too...sounds amazing

Exactly, after the GTR I am tired of having to be above 100mph to have the car doing something and the way it pulled to 190mph was just silly!! Want fun, not too fast, RWD.... not too pricey

2 hours ago, docwra said:

Its not actually much, if any slower, Id certainly fancy ,myself as being faster in a Cayman S than a 911S down a bumpy B road. I cant speak for your director but I know Im not alone in not really "getting" the way a 911 drives; while I can totally appreciate the engineering and general awesomeness they drive differently from pretty much anything else, and although some people think they are the bollocks @Ekona its not to everyones taste, Id take a better balanced MR every time personally. 

Its not about being faster, just the thrill of driving! 

29 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Tbh it took me a year of owning mine before I "got" how a 911 is supposed to be driven. Once I did though I was hooked, and it p*ssed all over my brother's Cayman R for me in terms of fun. They're not for everyone though, I'll give you that, and I imagine owning an older 964 would be a totally different and MUCH more challenging drive!

I drove a 964 turbo in Japan and the pedals were horrible, the clutch was weird and the lag was horrendous, but when the boost came on :D it took some time to get used to driving it and I think it would take a lot longer to learn to drive fast on track, etc. Im happy with that...........

• Like 1

On 08/10/2018 at 17:45, grahamc said:

The budget will be £65-70k, so a decent amount to play with. Im not really into the modern day supercars

I am not sure any classic supercar is going to be "reliable", not even 911's, i think i have may have got a bit lost on this thread, is £65-£70k to buy 2 cars or one do it all?

17 hours ago, LRF4N said:

S2000?

Dont like the size and need LHD

17 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

Even better... A 350z or a 370z :lol:

Hahaha 

53 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

I am not sure any classic supercar is going to be "reliable", not even 911's, i think i have may have got a bit lost on this thread, is £65-£70k to buy 2 cars or one do it all?

BMW Z3 needs to be reliable, classic not so much, but not JAG level

34 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Zeds are GT cars, s2k is a sports car

True

On 12/10/2018 at 14:35, Jetpilot said:

Yes £65k is the budget for 2 cars to do it all....

2 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

never really seen that version of z3  before. 21,000 euros must be rare?

I know what you mean about newer cars. 

What the coupe?? I remember them when they first came out in South Africa, loved it back then. Then was reminded about them a few years ago when I saw one at a Thruxton track day.... 

16 hours ago, grahamc said:

Yes £65k is the budget for 2 cars to do it all....

What the coupe?? I remember them when they first came out in South Africa, loved it back then. Then was reminded about them a few years ago when I saw one at a Thruxton track day.... 

The version you showed was like a hatchback, Im used to seeing the coupe. 2 cars? If you get this what would the second car be?

Yeah, the Z3 coupe :) They are lovely and the M sport ones are a bit on the mental side! But they are almost collectors cars now, so not really worth buying. 

2nd car would be something alongs the lines of a 240z or an old 911. Im leaning towards the 240z and pocketing the remainder of the cash for later. Maybe get an old mustang in a few years time....

Drive a Z3M and you'll have great fun! Although no where near as competent as the Z4M, they're great fun and a pure driving experience. The later S54 engined models are getting very expensive now due to the collectability, but an earlier S50 is similar power anyways as they restricted the S54 slightly in the Z3M.

28 minutes ago, reeceybeaney said:

Drive a Z3M and you'll have great fun! Although no where near as competent as the Z4M, they're great fun and a pure driving experience. The later S54 engined models are getting very expensive now due to the collectability, but an earlier S50 is similar power anyways as they restricted the S54 slightly in the Z3M.

No doubt.... Z4 coupe is still on the list, needs to be compared. 3l coupe sounds pretty good to me!

1 hour ago, grahamc said:

Yeah, the Z3 coupe :) They are lovely and the M sport ones are a bit on the mental side! But they are almost collectors cars now, so not really worth buying. 

2nd car would be something alongs the lines of a 240z or an old 911. Im leaning towards the 240z and pocketing the remainder of the cash for later. Maybe get an old mustang in a few years time....

You had one before right?

What do you think of some the kitted up ones on Youtube. Some have wider arches and bigger wheels or you more of a stock person? Looks like a big project.

You had any of the other Z apart from the 240?

See the link to my 240z in my signature ;) its got flared arches and 17" wheels :D So yes, I will happily reproduce that in LHD! With the future idea being to maybe replace the engine with a RB25, just to save the standard engine for resale value of course :D