Another "what cars" question.... for £70k

grahamc

Well I have been car-less (except for the shitty BMW coupe, which was fun) for nearly a year now and it looks like the settlement with my ex may finally be happening. So I now have to replace all the cars that have been sold. They are, no particular order:-

• Nissan R35 GTR 650bhp for road and track
  • Mazda MX5 mk2 supercharged for mostly track
  • Datsun 240z rebuilt from the shell 

Now as much as I loved all those cars, I do not want to buy them again (well maybe the Datsun ;) I dont want the expense of the GTR and I dont really care about being the fastest thing at a race track anymore. The MX5 was great fun, but the limits of the engine had been reached and would require lots and lots of money to go further. Lastly the 240z, well I barely drove and the restoration took 3.5 years!! Dont fancy that again, so will buy better next time. 

The budget will be £65-70k, so a decent amount to play with. Im not really into the modern day supercars, etc although I love the Astons, I know live in the South of France, where the roads are open and brilliant and I want to enjoy them more! 

• Track (ish) - yes there will be another, but more like the GTR in concept, the all-rounder... good for road driving, long motorway cruises, short bursts around mountain roads and of course the track. MUST BE RWD!!!! Thinking has been along the lines of a BMW E36 compact and doing a 328 engine swap or Z3/4 coupe (non M models).... 
  • Something that is just pure bliss to drive.... here I am thinking about either another Datsun Z car, LHD, maybe not the 240z so its cheaper or a 964 911 or a 60s mustang, etc could also break this section into 2 classics, if the budget allows :D

Torn on LHD VS RHD, especially for something that is used on track as I have only ever used RHD, but I am leaning heavily towards all cars being LHD. Money wise I would rather spend on the classics than the road/track car, so my budget is heavily weighted towards them Z and 911 :)

Any other interesting suggestions or combinations.... bonus points for V8 :p 

45 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Honda Nsx

I like them, but I have never wanted to own one. Would love an R34 GTR, but they are just too much money these days.

34 minutes ago, OnlyAfro said:

Hmmmmm, interesting.............

• Like 1

Z3 or Z4 coupes are coming up on the top of my list, seem to be very good all-rounders and I may be able to pickup a Z3 Coupe 2.8l LHD here for EURO 10-13k

The area around Marseille is awesome with the beach roads and the Alps not too far away. Honestly cant wait to get a car out here! 

• Like 1

981 Cayman GTS, or even better a GT4, Im struggling to stop myself buying one at the moment but its getting really difficult. Beautiful to drive, fast/very fast, probably not going to drop much money. 

Frankly Id take a 350/370 over a Z3/Z4 as they are better drivers cars, if you want something "a bit different" F430's are in the price range youre giving, Maserati GT's sound amazing and DBS's are "only" £90K now too. Bentley Continental GT would be the obvious choice for that part of the world, they are very nice ...... ;)  

My old man just bought a 996 turbo X50 and boy does that thing shift B)

Never been a Porsche fan, but it's a great car all round, everyday supercar, and potential for investment too!

The Z3Ms and Z4Ms with the S54 engine are gems now and also very collectable...

Drive one, trust me!

IMG-20180518-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180930-WA0007.jpg

IMG_0242.JPG

9 hours ago, docwra said:

Frankly Id take a 350/370 over a Z3/Z4 as they are better drivers cars,

Strongly disagree with a Z3/4 M... different kettle of fish all together. Would take one over my 350z any day and I've driven the Z3s, Z4s and M3 all with the same S54 engine and they're sublime:blush: if you want a drivers car with a bit of class and luxury, investment opportunity and under 25k, a Z4M coupè would be first on my list.

16 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

E type :thumbs:

Hahaa - be a bigger project than the 240z was! I do love them and oddly I like the hardtops.... 

15 hours ago, sipar69 said:

Evora 400.

Not a fan of Lotus, a friend has one and its constantly off the road - he compares them to his old Alfas :scare: Not sure what the new ones are like....

11 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

My old man just bought a 996 turbo X50 and boy does that thing shift B)

Never been a Porsche fan, but it's a great car all round, everyday supercar, and potential for investment too!

The Z3Ms and Z4Ms with the S54 engine are gems now and also very collectable...

Drive one, trust me!

IMG-20180518-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180930-WA0007.jpg

IMG_0242.JPG

Ok, so I may have to test the Z3 M Coupe VS the Z3 Coupe....... will add to the list of potentials! I like the newer Porsches (997 and forward, but not the 996 - no doubt its capable though). Not that interested in flatout performance, keep in mind I had the GTR and it was just insane! Its more about driving experience, fun and usability (road and track). 

11 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

Strongly disagree with a Z3/4 M... different kettle of fish all together. Would take one over my 350z any day and I've driven the Z3s, Z4s and M3 all with the same S54 engine and they're sublime:blush: if you want a drivers car with a bit of class and luxury, investment opportunity and under 25k, a Z4M coupè would be first on my list.

Unfortunately the Z4M is pushing the money too high on that side.... I would prefer a Z3 Coupe with the remainder of the money spent on a old 911 or Datsun Z or Nissan Hakosuka, etc. For that sort of money I would prefer to go Porsche 997 as the main road car......hmmmmmmmm :drive1

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

The 996 with a manual and 3 pedals (obviously) is arguably more of a drivers car to a 997? But the interior does looks a bit dated in comparison. 

A Z3M is more expensive than a Z4M these days too due to collectability, make sure you look for one with a later S54 engine not the S50 from the E36 ;)

We looked at many Z3M coupes to go with the collection of S54 M cars, however couldn't get on with the styling:wacko:

The old man is selling his Z4M roadster which the 996 turbo replaced and I'm gutted as they are such brilliant driver cars! 

Wouldnt doubt it, I just cannot get on with the front of the 996 and the interior.... besides on older 964 is on the list ;) Drove a 964 single turbo which was great fun! 

Thats my only concern, is the price of the M cars. Out here in France the prices seem a little better, but quite honestly a 200hp 1300kg RWD car is good for me. Has the weird looks, but not the M pricetag... some bolt on mods are available and worst case there is a supercharger option.... and I love superchargers! 

14 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

£20K vs £5K though, and Z33 on coilovers handles better than the Z3/Z4M as standard IMO, Z34 interior is better too. A non M Z3/4 is a bit soft and ordinary. 

If youre talking like for like then Id have the Cayman :lol: 

1 hour ago, docwra said:

£20K vs £5K though, and Z33 on coilovers handles better than the Z3/Z4M as standard IMO, Z34 interior is better too. A non M Z3/4 is a bit soft and ordinary. 

If youre talking like for like then Id have the Cayman :lol: 

Soft and ordinary is acceptable :) That is easy enough to change! 

Been out in a friends Cayman, they are rather good! 

37 minutes ago, Sim said:

I know it only vaguely hits your list, I've spent about £70k on it, but it is RWD and is slightly faster than a stock early R35:

https://www.driftworks.com/forum/threads/supercharged-370z-ultimate-for-sale.271032/

I've seen something I'd like so am open to discussion on the price :)

I did see that, but I am want/need LHD

Just now, grahamc said:

Soft and ordinary is acceptable :) That is easy enough to change! 

Been out in a friends Cayman, they are rather good! 

I did see that, but I am want/need LHD

Cool, good luck finding what you want :)

• Thanks 1