Track Etiquette Lost....

GranTurismoEra

the porsche is obviously superior so no one shall pass.....Nismo driver is not bad. This would put me off...track is overcrowded. Traffic build up because of one driver. 

Makes a good video but frustrating for the m3 and the other bmw that joins later...

In the old days youd follow him to the pits and smash helmets Formula 1 style in good old rumble. 

Pretty poor etiquette all round really. Porsche driver obviously either a complete d*ck or just not very good (or doesn’t know the track), but why the Bmw and Nismo then proceed to follow him so closely I don’t know. 

The whole video is just begging for an accident. If someone is being that rude to not let you by, then why waste your entire lap sat behind him: Ease off, find some space, then crack on. 

But yeah, when on track ffs use your bloody mirrors! 

• Like 1

I have never ceased to be amazed at track days literally the first session out after the morning briefing where people are told to let faster cars through and there is always someone who has a fast car down the straights but holding you up in the corners. Usually a quick mention to the organisers works wonders but i guess you cant do that at the Ring.

2 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

I have never ceased to be amazed at track days literally the first session out after the morning briefing where people are told to let faster cars through and there is always someone who has a fast car down the straights but holding you up in the corners. Usually a quick mention to the organisers works wonders but i guess you cant do that at the Ring.

That's the issue with tourist sessions at the 'Ring.....there is no briefing!! It always amazes me that you're allowed out on the most demanding circuit in the world for your first taste on tracking your car possibly with no briefing or clue what you're doing at all!! Its crazy!! And why I only go there as a proper organised track day with the likes of Destination Nurburgring

That said I've been to plenty of track days where you get exactly what you're saying too.........fresh out the briefing and holding people up lap after lap after lap!! Very frustrating!!

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

I made my first complaint about a trackday driver when I was at Spa last week (I was at Zolder and Assen too, but thats another story) :lol:

Caught a Fiat Coupe coming up to the bus-stop chicane and while I was much faster he hadnt noticed me so I backed off until he did and indictaed to let me pass. 
As we came onto the straight heading up to La Source I became aware of a Lotus Elise to my right ........ and then watched in amazement as it came past me on the right (not allowed on trackdays), then pulled across the front of my car leaving about 2ft and overtook the Fiat on the left :scare:

I caught him through Eau Rouge and went past him on Kemmel but cocked up the next couple of corners, probably due to red mist - cue Lotus boy sitting right on my back bumper, so close I couldnt see him at times. Eventually red mist subsided and I let him past but Im struggling to remember seeing anything this bad on a trackday, totally unbelievable. 

But wait, theres more. I complained and they said they would have a word, then after lunch we realised we hadnt seen him again that day. Went back and asked what had happened, it turned out that immediately after me another driver complained about him so they decided to black flag him ............ except he never came round again, having stuffed his Elise into the wall at Double Gauche/Pouhon. Wouldnt wish that on anyone but .......... Karma perhaps? :lol:

• Like 1

Binned it at Pouhon? What the bloody hell was he doing?! 

Who was the TDO? Always handy to know who the decent companies are out there. Worth pointing out for others that some TDOs do allow overtaking either side at the bigger tracks like Spa and Silverstone, or at least RMA do so do check the rules of the TDO before you get caught out.

It’s one reason I won’t do an RMA day, as I’ve seen enough idiots on regular days who can’t cope with single side overtaking, much less want to risk sharing a track with people who actually need to make a choice :lol: 

Thats not too bad... at least it was in a straight line! Our worst two overtakes at spa were an audi r8 that got alongside us through les combes, forcing us well off the racing line, and a megane that despite my road positioning suggesting an overtake was NOT on, still managed to squeeze past just as i was about to turn into eau rouge. In the damp.

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Binned it at Pouhon? What the bloody hell was he doing?! 

Who was the TDO? Always handy to know who the decent companies are out there. Worth pointing out for others that some TDOs do allow overtaking either side at the bigger tracks like Spa and Silverstone, or at least RMA do so do check the rules of the TDO before you get caught out.

I imagine he oversteered and rather than just use the ACRES of runoff tried to catch it and pendulumed back into the wall. The bit that got me was it was obvious Id slowed to get consent for overtaking, before that I was lapping faster than the Elise anyway :lol:

TDO was the invariably excellent Circuit Days and their response was also excellent, Ive done 10+ of their days now and cannot fault them at all. The feller with me does bike days where the overtaker has full responsibility for both bikes, obviously cars are a bit bigger though so it doesnt work quite as well :lol:

@brillomaster at Eau Rouge in the damp? No thanks mate :scare:

• Like 1