Some buying advice

whitey1583

Hi all,

New to the forum here.

I am looking at a Z on Sunday, it's currently priced at £4.5k. I have read multiple topics, and watched multiple videos about what to look out for, common problems etc, but I am just wondering if any current owners could offer me some advice with buying.

The deal would be to swap my 1993 e30 318i as a straight swap. The Z has a fresh MOT, which has been failed multiple times before during 2018. I have spoken to the garage on numerous occasions and they have informed me that the Z comes with quite a bit of paperwork, but no service book. They have also informed me that they can't find the receipts for the work that would have been done to pass it on it's MOT. It previously failed on corrosion to the brake lines, washer out of alignment and some other silly things, but something else that was an advisory was an oil leak. On the MOT where it passed, everything has been "apparently" sorted, and on the GOV website it shows absolutely nothing with the new pass, no advisories at all.

It's not a long journey for me, about 1 1/2 hours, but does it sounds fishy to anyone? or am I just being too over dramatic when worrying? I've had my fair share of rust buckets, so I have a simple knowledge of what to look out for, but I've never had a Z before. The garage I'm getting it from is some-what of a decent reputable trader, however because the swap is being done under trade terms, and the Z is a sports car, they won't offer any warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

James

I don't understand what trade terms means, but i think claiming not to offer a warranty because it's a sports car feels off to me. Warranty or not, I believe traders are liable for certain faults after selling a car. I suggest you swat up on your rights in that regard. I'd then take their get out of jail free card as an indication that they will try to weasel out of any responsibility. So you might want to start with the assumption you'll have no protection and treat it like buying privately. Make sure to do a background check on the car too.

We have some great buyers guides on here, so take a look about for some more info.

If the garage is called Junction 17 then check out the sticky post in this forum section before you buy.

Make sure to put some money aside should it need some work (like if you need to put better tyres on, wheel spin in 3rd on the motorway is NOT how the zed is supposed to behave!). 

Good luck!

• Like 2

If it's had new brake lines recently and it's a legit garage, they should have a lift or inspection bay, so you should be able to look underneath and see the new lines.

Plus then you can have a really good look at the underside.

I've seen some terrible corrosion on 350Zs, and not just easy to replace bits like the braces.

As others have said, check your rights and beware it does sound dodgy.

• Like 1