Ride Comfort

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask other 370Z Nismo owners what the ride comfort is like in them.

I know it's a sports car and it's got stiff suspension, but I've just been out in mine and the ride felt so harsh and unforgiving, not to mention all the vibration noises and rattling coming from the boot. 

I'm not expecting the smoothest of rides, but it definitely felt rougher than it should be. 

I'd be interested to hear what other people's experiences are. Maybe it's just me.

I found mine to be pretty harsh and unforgiving, especially over knackered roads. The GT Edition I had before that was far better ride quality.

The Nismo did however feel more of a 'sports car', more 'immediate' in every sense.

But being an old git with a sometimes dodgy back I would go for GT Edition next time - or should I say this time since I am on the hunt for my 4th Z

21 minutes ago, colesl4w said:

Not sure if this is relevant in any way, but have those suspension spacers used when shipping been removed from your suspension? If not, it might affect ride quality. 

More info:

http://www.the370z.com/new-nismo-370z-owner/13517-attention-all-nismo-370z-owners-please-check-your-suspension.html

I heard about the spacer issue. My car is going in for a service next Monday, so I will certainly get them to check that.

I would like to sort out the vibration and rattling issue in the boot though, that gets a bit annoying.

I took delivery of mine on Friday just gone and despite asking twice if the spacers had been removed and being told "definitely yes" I discovered during a visit to Tarmac Sportz yesterday that there were 3 spacers on each of the front springs!!! Deffo have it checked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ekona said:

Did you not notice the ride quality on the test drive? 

I’ve not driven a Nismo, but I can’t believe the ride is that uncomfortable. 

I knew it wasn't going to be a smooth ride and I think when I took it for a test drive I didn't really know the car at that point so it felt like I thought it would feel. It's now after I've driven it for a while and got used to it that I've got the feel of it. I don't know, maybe it is just me. I went out in it last night and every bump I went over just threw me around in the seat (not violently, but I was bouncing up and down a lot), every rough bit of road was causing vibration up through the steering wheel. The handling felt quite odd as well, especially going round corners. 

I'm having it serviced next monday anyway, so I will get the garage to give it a thorough check.

When was the last time it had an alignment? Whilst not contributing directly to the suspension travel, you'd be amazed at how much better a car can feel once the alignment is correct.

It would be worth your while taking it to somewhere that knows how to align cars properly and getting them to do something with it.

41 minutes ago, Ekona said:

When was the last time it had an alignment? Whilst not contributing directly to the suspension travel, you'd be amazed at how much better a car can feel once the alignment is correct.

It would be worth your while taking it to somewhere that knows how to align cars properly and getting them to do something with it.

Thanks Ekona. The garage I take my car too can do the wheel alignment so I will get them to check and adjust it if necessary.

There's a difference between an alignment to get it back into default Nissan understeer-o-matic settings, and a decent geo to actually make it drive better. Do the latter.

Who is the garage? If they've performance or motorsport experience they'll probably be fine, if they're more generic then don't bother.

Surprised the tyre overlord hasnt mention said items, what you running, as another dude mentions above if its runflats try something decent that will make a small difference, however, i seem to remember a few reviews saying the Nismo was quite harsh, ive never driven one so cant comment directly. seems all the owners above have different opinions. How about trying to meet with a few of them and compare, Payco doesnt seem to have the issues anyone else has mentioned on the forum with ride quality, maybe his Teins are the answer, try meeting up with him i am sure he would only be to happy to help. Worse case scenario and you dont feel the difference on Tein springs and you really cant live with it, drop a wheel size or get some decent coilovers, or easier still, get some std 370z shocks, they must be cheap as chips 2nd hand or from a breaker, just make sure you get a ride in one first.

• Like 1

It would be great to meet up with other owners. Trouble is, I'm in central somerset and there doesn't seem to be many 370Z Nismo owners in this neck of the woods who are forum members.

Of course, if anyone is from this area, then by all means let me know, otherwise it looks like it would involve a bit of a trek to meet up with other owners.

2 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Surprised the tyre overlord hasnt mention said items, what you running, as another dude mentions above if its runflats try something decent that will make a small difference, however, i seem to remember a few reviews saying the Nismo was quite harsh, ive never driven one so cant comment directly. seems all the owners above have different opinions. How about trying to meet with a few of them and compare, Payco doesnt seem to have the issues anyone else has mentioned on the forum with ride quality, maybe his Teins are the answer, try meeting up with him i am sure he would only be to happy to help. Worse case scenario and you dont feel the difference on Tein springs and you really cant live with it, drop a wheel size or get some decent coilovers, or easier still, get some std 370z shocks, they must be cheap as chips 2nd hand or from a breaker, just make sure you get a ride in one first.

True re Nismo reviews although I've often wondered if the review vehicles were wearing their shipping spacers. :)

6 hours ago, Payco said:

Always happy to help.I honestly find my ride is not bumpy at all, better than my 350z and better than my wife’s MX5.

I totally relate and agree with this and your prev post 

Coming from a Polo GTI 6R 2012 I find that the Nismo suspension is NOT as stiff BUT there is way more structural rigidity  from left/right, front/rear and top/bottom of the car - in fact due to the width it handles bumps / humps more easily then the Polo GTI which was very narrow in comparison

Its not like latest  hothatches that provide the best of all worlds. The Nismo is not the kind of car that you can just hoon around town in partly due to the road surfaces, narrow streets etc. I drive it in London and its fine 

I think that there would be more of an issue with a Lotus Exige , Alfa 4C - honestly the Nismo feels like a sporty GT car 

Added tip: avoid multi storey car parks. Its not the bays that will be the issue but the spiral ramps entering/exiting

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SiriusProjects said:

I knew it wasn't going to be a smooth ride and I think when I took it for a test drive I didn't really know the car at that point so it felt like I thought it would feel. It's now after I've driven it for a while and got used to it that I've got the feel of it. I don't know, maybe it is just me. I went out in it last night and every bump I went over just threw me around in the seat (not violently, but I was bouncing up and down a lot), every rough bit of road was causing vibration up through the steering wheel. The handling felt quite odd as well, especially going round corners. 

I'm having it serviced next monday anyway, so I will get the garage to give it a thorough check.

you can check for the spacers yourself, just have a look at where the springs are..might be on the inside of the shock where you cant really see..if you spot it they cant then deny it being there. so best have a peak yourself before hand ..Although it helps if the car is on a ramp or jacked up

17 hours ago, sipar69 said:

True re Nismo reviews although I've often wondered if the review vehicles were wearing their shipping spacers. :)

I did mention this elsewhere on another thread and thought the same :thumbs:

I am not sure i subscribe to sports cars having to have stiff suspension to justify them as a sports car though, i have been lucky enough to have been in some very nice sports cars and the suspension is never "stiff", firm and well damped would be more accurate, certainly not as the op describes.

Maybe being in Somerset the op just has worse roads than others, but sorry to say op, whilst you may be a few miles away, its not like you are in the back end of nowhere and may have to put in some miles to meet with other members before you make a decision on what way forward, also may not be a bad idea to take in some other roads and see how it feels, hardly a chore to go for a drive and do a bit of investigation :)