Test drive 400bhp evo 10.... surprised

burntorange

As title suggests, test drive an evo 10 sst today mapped to 400bhp, i was really surprised how it didn't feel much quicker considering my zed has only 286bhp.... with the sst box,  what i did like was that gears felt like a thing of the past, boost was constant, feeling almost as if there was no gear changes happening. But like i say i sort of expected 400bhp to feel faster..... sort of wondering how much different a zed feels with a supercharger as that is also on the cards at the moment to choose as an option rather than a different car

Something is very wrong there then, tbh. Our Scoob only has 320bhp, but it’s always felt the quickest thing to drive by some margin including my old Bmw which was almost exactly the same pace as a 350. Most likely due to the power delivery from the turbo than outright power alone. 

An auto Evo (man, who on earth though that was ever a good idea?!) should be even more so. Either it’s broken, or you didn’t feel comfortable pushing it properly, or that SST gearbox wrecks the experience so much.

From the sound of it, you’d be wasting your money with a supercharged Zed. 

8 hours ago, burntorange said:

As title suggests, test drive an evo 10 sst today mapped to 400bhp, i was really surprised how it didn't feel much quicker considering my zed has only 286bhp.... with the sst box,  what i did like was that gears felt like a thing of the past, boost was constant, feeling almost as if there was no gear changes happening. But like i say i sort of expected 400bhp to feel faster..... sort of wondering how much different a zed feels with a supercharger as that is also on the cards at the moment to choose as an option rather than a different car

If you are thinking about going down the supercharged route but aren't sure it's worth asking around on here as there will probably be someone localish to you with one who will be happy to take you for a drive. Not quite the same as a test drive but should give you an idea on the increase in power translates into increased performance.

4 hours ago, Ekona said:

Something is very wrong there then, tbh. Our Scoob only has 320bhp, but it’s always felt the quickest thing to drive by some margin including my old Bmw which was almost exactly the same pace as a 350. Most likely due to the power delivery from the turbo than outright power alone. 

An auto Evo (man, who on earth though that was ever a good idea?!) should be even more so. Either it’s broken, or you didn’t feel comfortable pushing it properly, or that SST gearbox wrecks the experience so much.

From the sound of it, you’d be wasting your money with a supercharged Zed. 

Dare I say it, I agree with Dan :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Yes OK it was manual, but my wife used to run an Evo V with circa 390bhp. It was the quickest car I've driven my a country mile, and you really felt it when you plant the loud pedal! I've owned a 400bhp Supra and the Evo felt WAY quicker.

Either the guy doesn't have 400bhp or the autobox/newer car really dulled down the power experience.

• Like 1

ive been driven in an evo 6 years ago that had 400bhp and i remember that feeling mental, but that was before i had driven cars myself and rode any fast bikes so my memory is a little vague. i also was driven in an rx7 that was around the same power, i remember that being quick but not as brutal as the evo. maybe the one i viewed is a lemon, shame as it looks a beaut.

A little update!

I went to see another evo 10 yesterday, 400/400 and that thing scared the living daylights out of me how fast you can drive along a country lane and how it just defies the laws of physics with the levels of grip....

So i naturally bought it...

Here it is

IMG-20181005-WA0005.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok so a quick comparison,

Its more practical for starters, has room for adults in the back, and a nice amount of room in the boot wick any zed owner will appreciate. 

Side by side it is a bigger car but doesn't feel like it at all.  

The evo would run rings around the zed anyday on country roads, if it was a top end drag race I'd probably say a tuned said would take it. 

Evo seems to be very quick but also has short gearing, i have the 6 speed sst semi auto box which if you appreciate forza and a racing wheel is ace, if not then maybe you won't, i love the paddle shifters and gears are instantly selected so its more rapid.   

I thought the zed handled like a go kart but i could never push the zed to speeds round corners like i can in the evo.  I have always found the zeds cornering very very flat as in the body doesn't roll at all, which is great and its got great center of gravity but ive already felt it lacked feedback as to when you were about to lose traction.  

The evo on the other hand gives you plenty of feedback and it lets you know nicely when grip is slipping and that's if you find the end of its staggering amount of grip.  The amount of grip is so confidence inspiring its crazy! You can definitely tell there's a lot of trickery happening with its yaw systems to keep you where you are as it takes you beyond what you believe to be even possible. 

Put it this way, an idiot could drive this car fast. 

Overall, i am very very happy with the evo and the dreams of having aGTR are well gone. I cant ever imagine what better cornering ability would feel like as this seems to have it.....more power ofcourse but this is plenty fast enough right now,  only 50hp and 33ftlbs of torque shy off a 09 GTR....

• Like 1