Did I experience fuel starvation?

evilscorp

Just back from a quick drive to domino's (new to the area and too far that they won't deliver). On the way there I was driving quite quickly and 1 mile before I stopped to pick up my pizza I did a fast corner around a round about (wide sticky MPSS with reasonable areo so the car corners well!) then slowed down to join traffic. 

After picking up the pizza the car started ok but seemed a bit juddery, after pulling out to return home the car started to loose power dramatically, I thought I was going to conk out at the side of the road, the A/F was reading off scale lean (not driving fast since leaving domino's) then after 20-30 seconds the car was fine again A/F=14.5, I only have one bank A/F gauge (need to get another) but I am now worried the car has a big issue.

I will do a compression test and check my spark plugs (and fix a boost leak I am sure I have) but is it probably likely to have been fuel starvation? I've never experienced it before so I can't determine what it would be like.

Thanks.

Fuel setup is 600cc detchwerks injectors, walbro 255pump, fuel return system. (if it matters)

37 minutes ago, nissanman312 said:

Could quite easily have been fuel starvation 

Mine used to do it round a good right hander with half a tank 

How much fuel did you have in 

I have a protec swirl pot now it plauged me in Europe 

Only had a quarter Left in a JDM smaller tank. 

I had no lights appear on the dash but I will plug in my reader. 

Gary,

If your issue is fuel related then I would be looking at the fuel syphoning system.

If this is not functioning properly then a quarter tank on a sharp/fast right-hander will cause severe lean out.

Keep your tank at least half full and see if the issue returns.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, evilscorp said:

Only had a quarter Left in a JDM smaller tank. 

I had no lights appear on the dash but I will plug in my reader. 

It's a massive issue on the 370z 

It happend to me on the stock car 

Since litchfeild mapped mine for forced induction the cut was violent as they mapped a fail safe in.

it will just shut the ignition/throttle off should it see lean running it's horrible but saves  it running lean on full chat 

Swirl pot sorted it tho 

As Alex says experiment with different fuel levels and see what gives 

Just play on light or almost no throttle tho so it's not on full chat if problem returns 

Edited by nissanman312

• 2 weeks later...

First time i've used the car since the issue, I had my dad rev the car while I looked at the fuel pressure gauge on the regulator and it seemed fine, raised slightly when rev'd as expected with a rising rate regulator.

I also remembered I have a fuel pressure/oil temp gauge sitting in the loft and one of the two pillar pod gauge holders. 

Sadly the sensor is 1/8 bsp and the regulator hole (I think, stated on aeromotive website) is 1/8 npt. So I have ordered an brass adapter, but I swear the gauge that's on the regulator needed ptfe tape as it was tapered.

Anyway should be able to monitor things soon and back to driving it once in a blue moon.