Nismo Leather Wearing

s1xtyn1n3

I bought my 370Z new back in late January and it's now done about 3500 miles.

Recently I noticed that there was a patch of leather on the side bolster of the driver's seat that is looking very worn/cracked already. The rest of the seat shows no signs of wear so I took it back to the dealer to take a look at. They were initially surprised to see it too and the lady helping me took a couple of pictures on her phone to send to Nissan.

A week or so later, the dealership called me back saying that Nissan has decided that they believe something has rubbed on it and so they weren't covering it in their warranty. I was advised to call Nissan directly to take it from there which is what I did. A few days later, they responded back to me again saying that the damage was my fault so they weren't prepared to help me out. 

My 350Z's leather looked fine after me owning it for 7 years and doing 50,000 miles in it so my question is - do I accept that something has rubbed on it and try and recondition the leather or is this level of wear unreasonable given how new the car is and how low the mileage is?

Also interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar issue.

20180913_173600.jpg

I had the exact same issue with my seats and Alex F Noble Nissan in Edinburgh put it to Nissan and was accepted straight away for a warranty claim. I’ve had it replaced twice as it has done the exact same thing. I think it’s the case of your warranty department pushing for it.

• Like 1

Doesn't look like it was a case of something abrasive rubbing against it once or twice it looks very much like general wear and tear, only you know how forcefully you brush against it every time you get in and out but does seem odd for a car so new and with so few miles

I’ve had a similar issue with my 2018 Nismo after 4 weeks of ownership, they have agreed to replace the seat. However Nissan Customer Services are shocking, they could’ve give a **** about their customers. Very different from BMW & Porsche 

8666076_C-344_F-4_C5_F-8_E89-_F393_F5_AE

Edited by Bikeracer
  • Like 1

Nissan have gone very quiet on this - no response from them today. I doubt I'll hear anything over the weekend now so will call them up on Monday and will post how I got on.

If others have seen this issue, please post about it so we can see how widespread it actually is :thumbs:

Nissan are extremely poor, I’ve got a major problem with my car, and they have endeavoured to try every trick in the book (including being deceitful, including lying to various organisations) to make out it’s not a problem. Having owned a number of high Performance Nissans including the R35 GTR, I’m shocked by their extremely poor customer services. I will never, ever purchase another Nissan.

They just assume that if you **** off the customer enough, the problem will just go away and they won’t have to deal with it. They will try anything, be warned.

Edited by Bikeracer

Such a poor top coat finish on such a premium seat :thumbdown:

It took THIRTEEN YEARS of using my zed as a daily to get this much wear on my bolster...

IMG_20180223_153837

I reckon there must have been a whole batch of leather used that hadn't had a proper top coat applied.

Surely if all the members with this problem submit a collective complaint Nissan would have to sit up and take notice.

Strength in numbers and all that.

Just had a brief search and it seems in the past there have been many Renault Sport and Ford owners having their Recaros replaced under warranty due to premature wear too.

Edited by HEADPHONES

11 hours ago, Ekona said:

Have you not returned it yet??

I tried, the dealership took a look at it and forwarded the case onto the Nissan Warranty department who came back saying they weren't going to cover it as they didn't feel there was a manufacturing issue. I've been contesting that decision and it seems like a fair number of people here have been having similar issues with the wear on their leather so there's clearly a bigger issue than just a one-off with my car (which is what Nissan has been saying to me).

Will be talking to them again on Monday. 

32 minutes ago, s1xtyn1n3 said:

I tried, the dealership took a look at it and forwarded the case onto the Nissan Warranty department who came back saying they weren't going to cover it as they didn't feel there was a manufacturing issue. I've been contesting that decision and it seems like a fair number of people here have been having similar issues with the wear on their leather so there's clearly a bigger issue than just a one-off with my car (which is what Nissan has been saying to me).

Will be talking to them again on Monday. 

Sorry, I was aiming that at @Bikeracer. His issues have been on going for some time, and I thought he’d returned it as Nissan had agreed to take it back after he went legal on their ass. 

Tbh, I’d be mad too. I’d potentially be referring it back to my credit card or finance company (unless you paid cash) as well for some extra clout. 

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Sorry, I was aiming that at @Bikeracer. His issues have been on going for some time, and I thought he’d returned it as Nissan had agreed to take it back after he went legal on their ass. 

Tbh, I’d be mad too. I’d potentially be referring it back to my credit card or finance company (unless you paid cash) as well for some extra clout. 

+1 on that I also thought it had gone back 

As for the nismo seats that's not good at all 

Stick with it and give them plenty of greif .

I'm sure a result will come :thumbs:

13 hours ago, Ekona said:

Unfortunately not, Nissan have not yet agreed to accept the Car back, it is currebly with the Financial Obnisman 

Nissan Finance (RCI Finance) are controlled by Nissan Motor GB, rather than RCI Finance responding to the Financial Obnisman, Nissan Motor GB have muscled their way in and are responding to the Financial Obnisman directly, even though it is the Finance company who should be responding and dealing with the issue. 

One of Nissan motor GB recent comments were is it a genuine problem or a minor inconvenience .....

Nissan motor GB have told the Financial Obnisman that problem was due to the alignment machine at one of their High Performance Centres (which Nissan GB own), not being calibrated. I have since obtained a copy of the calibration certificate, however Nissan GB are still disputing this and saying that the 4 wheel alignment equipment is not calibrated...... lol

I have also had in-depth discussions with the senior engineers from the company who supplied, fitted and commissioned the 4 wheel alignment equipment at the Nissan High Performance Centre. The same company have also undertaken an annual calibration tests on the equipment and have also issued yearly calibration certificate for the equipment.

If Nissan were correct (which they aren’t) I advised Nissan GB that I should advise trading standards that Nissan dealers are using 4 wheel calibration equipment which has not been calibrated but are charging customers in excess of £100 for 4 wheel alignment checks and adjustment.

Out of interest Nissan motor GB own all West Way Nissan dealerships.

(Aprite (GB) Limited, trading as West Way Nissan, operates as a dealer of new and used Nissan cars and in the United Kingdom. It also provides service and repair, on-site motability, personal contract hire, and business leasing services. The company was incorporated in 1996 and is based in Rickmansworth, United Kingdom. It has dealership locations in Aldershot, Altrincham, Basingstoke, Birmingham, Birmingham South, Coventry, Hanwell, Manchester, Mill Hill, Oldham, Rochdale, Southampton, Stockport, Stourbridge, and Wolverhampton, United Kingdom. Aprite (GB) Limited operates as a subsidiary of Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.)

I have also been in contact with Nissan motor GB, Managing Director. From the top down Nissan motor GB are a dodgy outfit.

Just when you thought the Consumer Law regarding rejecting a Car was clear (Black & white), some companies are obviously prepared to laugh at the law and stick up two fingers at it.

May well land up in County Court if a resolution is not achieved prior to that.

Edited by Bikeracer

13 hours ago, Ekona said:

Unfortunately credit card companies under section 17 can only assist on purchases up to £29,999-99. Anything over £30k and your not covered. How ridiculous. The more you spend the less protection you have!!

11 hours ago, Bikeracer said:

Unfortunately credit card companies under section 17 can only assist on purchases up to £29,999-99. Anything over £30k and your not covered. How ridiculous. The more you spend the less protection you have!!

I once had a friend fall foul of this, they presume the more money you have to spend, the wiser you should be so dont need the same levels of protection. :wacko:

I also have had a friend with a similar issue to you with Porsche, the dealership refused to accept the car back for varying issues he had, paint, infotaintment, seat. He went down every route you have including the financial ombudsmen, they rejected his claim but his finance company then took it up on his behalf, they were independent of Porsche and managed to get his money back and have the dealer take the car back, i dont like the sound of thew finance company being owned by Nissan, i am sure thats a conflict of interests when it comes to you getting it rejected, best of luck, although it does sound you have all the facts in your corner, hope it doesnt go to court.

Most major manufacturers own their own finance companies these days, it’s a massive source of extra profit for them given that so many people do PCP these days. 

That said, I don’t for one second think that it’s grounds to reject a vehicle for some poor quality leather, in case anyone is planning on those lines. I know we’re talking about BR’s alignment issues atm, I just didn’t want to confuse matters given the subject title.