Differential Thud/Clunk Sound

TubbyZ

Hi,

I've purchased yet another 350z and noticed on the drive home when in 5th/6th or so and I slam on the throttle a loud bang/ thud comes from the back of the car. I feel like this is the differential bushings that have gone bad but not sure. The garage I bought the car from has a 2 month warranty on the car, is this something that would be covered would you think? If anyone has any other ideas on what the noise could be I'm all ears. It only happens once not multiple thuds when accelerating.

I own a 2007 HR zed 72k miles.

Thanks,

Toby

Hi Toby,

It could be a number of things from prop shaft UJ's, suspension bushes, bad fitting exhaust or maybe even bearings. As you have a warranty, I think the best thing to do is to get it back to the garage asap and get them to sort it out. The sooner the better. Good luck with it.

Cheers, Ken

22 minutes ago, snowy87 said:

Hi Toby,

It could be a number of things from prop shaft UJ's, suspension bushes, bad fitting exhaust or maybe even bearings. As you have a warranty, I think the best thing to do is to get it back to the garage asap and get them to sort it out. The sooner the better. Good luck with it.

Cheers, Ken

Only problem is the garage isn't close by. Getting it up on a ramp on Saturday to take a closer look. Going to try and maybe get a quote and see if they will foot the bill.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

Toby

Was the noise there on the test drive? Even a little bit? The warranty isn’t relevant here, the CRA protects you far more. 

Worth pointing out too that if they insist you bring the car back to them for diagnosis (and tbh they really should if they’ve any common sense), then you’ll have to do so. It’s not their fault you live a distance away, after all. 

On 12/09/2018 at 17:15, Ekona said:

Was the noise there on the test drive? Even a little bit? The warranty isn’t relevant here, the CRA protects you far more. 

Worth pointing out too that if they insist you bring the car back to them for diagnosis (and tbh they really should if they’ve any common sense), then you’ll have to do so. It’s not their fault you live a distance away, after all. 

Cheers for the reply. It wasn't all all, I never got the car up to motorway speeds or had it at the point where it would make the noise. I've rang the garage and they have stated that warranty covers this. They have told me to take it to a local garage and let them know.

Thanks again guys!

Toby

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to getting it in at a garage and purchased SPL solid diff bushings. Hopefully this solves my issue. Garage haven't paid yet however have agreed to settle the final price. Obviously they will be paying standard bushing prices though.

Anyone running solid diff bushings in their zed? Do they make any strange noises?

Cheers,

Toby

Iirc I had this when I bought my 2007 HR and the only thing I did to the diff was get Horsham to change the diff and transmission fluid. I can’t remember hearing it after that but didn’t really notice it before. 

Might be worth changing the fluid while it’s in the garage. Sorry can’t be more help haven’t had the noise in a year and didn’t do anything but fluid change to diff 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LukeA said:

Iirc I had this when I bought my 2007 HR and the only thing I did to the diff was get Horsham to change the diff and transmission fluid. I can’t remember hearing it after that but didn’t really notice it before. 

Might be worth changing the fluid while it’s in the garage. Sorry can’t be more help haven’t had the noise in a year and didn’t do anything but fluid change to diff 

Cheers guys, hmm when you say you didn’t notice it before really? It’s very noticeable on mine when a put my foot down. Was this not the case? Cheers for the reply though will ask them to do that too while it’s in!

Edited by TubbyZ

1 hour ago, TubbyZ said:

Cheers guys, hmm when you say you didn’t notice it before really? It’s very noticeable on mine when a put my foot down. Was this not the case? Cheers for the reply though will ask them to do that too while it’s in!

I remember when I bought the car I would plant my foot down (in 5th and 6th) and would hear a thud. This was the start of 2017 and the work I only had carried out till now to do with diff and transmission is fluid changes for both and clutch change. 

Ive only just changed the diff bushings recently but haven’t had the noise in a year now I would say

7 hours ago, LukeA said:

I remember when I bought the car I would plant my foot down (in 5th and 6th) and would hear a thud. This was the start of 2017 and the work I only had carried out till now to do with diff and transmission is fluid changes for both and clutch change. 

Ive only just changed the diff bushings recently but haven’t had the noise in a year now I would say

That sounds exactly what I'm having. Worth changing the bushings anyway I suppose because they were at the end of their life. Thanks for the reply!