Driving like an idiot, azure blue. M5 south.

Bad_Hamster

Approaching junction 13, southbound. VO54 ***. Tanking it down middle lane, undercutting lane 3, then at the very last minute (even past the last countdown marker), cut into lane one, straight onto slip road. 

Idiotic driving, and looked like you were on your phone, as you waited in traffic on the slip road too. 

• Like 1

On 06/09/2018 at 14:07, docwra said:

And if youre doing less than 70 then its not illegal anyway. 

According to PC Perkins it is. If someone is in lane 3 the overtaking lane, you cannot go past him. He needs to move over if traffic is starting to creep up on him. By then someones already up his behind flashing him or tailgaiting. 

Put it this way if a cop was in lane 3 you wouldnt undertake him would you :D

A friend once side swiped a motorcyle police rider undertaking him and knocked him off. He said" As i watched him bounce along the grass verge on the motorway, i thought it's his fault!" After stopping to check on said rider the police rider admitted it was his fault.

He then added "I'm still doing you for speeding though...."

3 hours ago, OnlyAfro said:

If he's doing <70, I would. 

As would I and have done many times. I was always taught if on a multi lane carriageway undertaking is legal if done with due care. Once you add excess speed into the equation you border on careless/ dangerous behaviour if you are undertaking. 

My advice would be to always have an escape route on the nearside before drawing up on a vehicle on the offside. That could be a hard shoulder lane one etc. 

A motorist in lane two traffic for example wants to undertake slower moving offside traffic in lane three. The undertake should occur ideally when the section of lane one opposite the offside vehicle in lane three is clear. 

I avoid undertaking if it involves a potentially fatal sandwich :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OnlyAfro said:

If he's doing <70, I would. 

did that before and ended up being told off because everyone backed off and i didnt. Also threatened to stick something on me for answering back...Good old days lol....when i used to get followed for ages...intimidation tactics dont work anymore though...

I remember my old man being waved on.. But that was in a different country!

Edited by GranTurismoEra

To be clear, from the actual highway code:

Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

It is not illegal to undertake if the traffic if your lane is moving faster than that in the lane to your right. Because of this countries moronic obsession with getting into the middle or right lanes whenever possible (undertaking would not be a problem in the UK if many drivers were re-educated about driving carriageways), often the congestion is always in the middle and right lanes and the inside lane is clear, the few cars that are in the left lane cruising along can pass inside at below the speed limit no problem.

• Like 1

Put it this way: Everytime you don’t move left when you could, YOU’RE THE REASON THE ROAD NETWORK IN THIS COUNTRY DOESN’T WORK. You’re the reason that the motorways are always full. You’re the reason that people get frustrated and do silly things, causing accidents. You are the cause of the problem. 

Undertaking wouldnt be be an issue if people drove properly. So next time you’re sat there in lane 2 or 3 (or 4!), and there’s room to move back left, then choose to be a decent driver and do it. Be the solution, not the problem. 

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Put it this way: Everytime you don’t move left when you could, YOU’RE THE REASON THE ROAD NETWORK IN THIS COUNTRY DOESN’T WORK. You’re the reason that the motorways are always full. You’re the reason that people get frustrated and do silly things, causing accidents. You are the cause of the problem. 

Undertaking wouldnt be be an issue if people drove properly. So next time you’re sat there in lane 2 or 3 (or 4!), and there’s room to move back left, then choose to be a decent driver and do it. Be the solution, not the problem. 

This

19 minutes ago, reeceybeaney said:

Agree with the OP in a way... I mean there's idiotic driving and then there's going around a slow a** driver in the overtaking lane :lol:

I doubt any of us are pure angel drivers but there is definitely a difference in being a little bit cheeky and just out right dangerous:headhurt:

Did the Op show footage I must have missed it. 

6 hours ago, coldel said:

if many drivers were re-educated about driving carriageways

Just simply educated would be a start!!!

Its should be part of the test although i believe from this year learners are now allowed on mways with an improved instructor with dual controls, problem is we have decades and decades of drivers with no clue. 

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Member seems to have signed up in 2013, made a number of posts but all in the areas that do not contribute to the post count.

Whats the internet slang for it, a 'lurker' ?

Posts were in intro section so not on his post count. Looks like he bought another zed this year