Lotus - Evora & Exige

hmale4yu

What's your guys opinions on Lotus relative to the 370z Nismo Mk2? How much of a step up (if any) are they - not just in terms of performance but more specifically  everyday road prescience

My take  on cars on market at £55k mark or less

Exige S3 - I like the looks esp with the larger spoiler on the rear (which I think the car needs). But a bit pointless for me due to the total lack of boot space and everyday usability -  I manage to make the most of my Nismo but feel like the Exige and Alfa 4C is pushing it a bit 

Evora - Facelifted more recent models are out of budget for me but have a more complete, more aggressive look. Older models have now come down in price but I can't over the rear spoiler looking like a handle compared to the newer models. Moreover a friend who has owned the car in Orange seems to prefer the looks of my Nismo. Has enough practicality but don't really see the Evora has a real step up from the Nismo Mk2 unless you can stretch budget for newer models (which opens up the territory for other cars)

L.jpg

You don’t buy a lotus because they’re practical, or usable. You buy one because they have the best damn steering and suspension of any car you can buy today. They’re for driving, not looking at. 

Evora has always been ugly as sin and the 400 is even worse, and the indicator stalks aren’t in the same postcode as the steering wheel, but it knocks spots off most things in terms of compliance to the road surface. 

Exige is... well, an Exige (or Elise) is one of those cars that every petrolhead needs to own once in their life. It’s motoring nirvana, and even though the screen will freeze on the inside and the cup holders are crap and you’ll never look cool getting in or out, you’ll never have a drive you don’t remember. 

In terms of performance, both Lotii are miles clear of a heavy old 370. 

Ignore him. ;) The Evora 400 is a stunning car that goes like stink and sounds as good as pretty much anything else on the road.  It's critical failing is being badly overpriced. 

Later versions of the earlier gen Evora (2012+) addressed a lot the faults of the earlier cars, but are still flawed.  If you can live with the flaws and have the budget I would take a 2012/13 S in Sport Racer trim over a Nismo 370Z.  (I say that having owned a Nismo and liked it a lot).  They're a proper little super car. 

So, here I go.

Firstly whoever bought that orange Exige 350 from Snows is a lucky bugger. To find a 350 with those wheels is like hens teeth.

I moved from a 370z to the Lotus, and in one month have done over 1400 miles - Once you're in it's easily on par with the 370z for comfort and actually ride is better. Yes it's rock hard and stiff, but it's been set up so well that you don't feel it shatter your arse like in a GT86.

I skipped the Evora as the only way it would be an improvement in speed is to get a 400 or 410 ( yes I know it drives better but I found the Z a bit sluggish so wanted excitement )
It also didn't feel much different to the 370, big comfy plush car. I want racecar stuff xD 

In terms of practicality, it's enough for 2 people, no problem. The boot is actually deceptively big, as it extends all the way to the edge of the wheel well on the right hand side, left side is the battery - but be warned it gets warm in there. Interior space isn't bad, but what do you need in there? get a phone holder and stick that in there, wallet goes in the trinket tray, and sunglasses on your face. DONE.

Any other issues feel free to PM me and I can try n talk you into buying it - by far the best car I've ever had, even if it costs a fortune for a "toy car"

Edited by Mikevv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sipar69 said:

The Evora 400 is a stunning car that goes like stink and sounds as good as pretty much anything else on the road.  It's critical failing is being badly overpriced. 

I was looking at Evoras the other day and was absolutely shocked to find out to get in the right one would cost 60-70k, so absolutely agree, mind you Exiges arent any better imho, i have no idea how an extruded aluminium tub and Toyota V6 has got so expensive, but if someone held a gun to my head, I wouldnt hesitate to choose the Evora out of the two.

Worryingly i also agree with Ekona, if you are buying an Exige for practicality, looks or purely road use its wasted, unless you plan on smashing round a track on a regular basis, which is the only place you will get to experience just how much the Exige has to offer i wouldnt bother, if you just want practicality and speed buy a GTR, 

Good points. I do however still think that theres more to a car then just performance - if it was all about the pure driving experience then a Caterham Seven would be up there.

Theres something to a showy sports car that has to look the part . Imo the Nismo Mk2 looks just as impressive but obviously lacks the performance. 

In addition , build quality. Videos like these seem to make me lean towards buying a Porsche over a Lotus . The later Nismos seem not to have any niggles touch wood

Edited by hmale4yu

My regard for 370Zs is demonstrated by the fact that I've owned four and sold a remapped A45 AMG that cost nearly three times as much as the car I replaced it with just to be back in one, but sometimes you just have to be realistic.  I think the 370Z Nismo is a great car but it drives similarly to the standard car, whereas from everything I've seen and read (which is a lot because i was thinking about buying one) the Evora 400 is in a different class (as it should be for the silly price they now seem to be).

Looks are subjective, but objectively the Z looks like what it is - a GT car with a body kit; the Lotus looks like what it is - a sports car with supercar looks. And you don't need an aftermarket exhaust to make it sound good.  

Edited by sipar69

For build quality statements, you seem to forget they are a small company and hand made. 

Go look at some of the SHOCKING stuff in Aston Martins, but people forgive it because " well its handmade " While that's a good excuse for a £65k car that will blow the doors off anything under £150K around a track and for fun factor, its not excusable on the same level for an Aston Martin or similar. I've paid so much because its hand made, yes, but I expect it to be perfect then! 

"soz mate, Jim not in today, so we got 1 handed Eric to do the sewing today, tough luck"

Nothing wrong with the Exige in terms of quality, it's all raw and fun - It has less rattles n squeaks than my new Nismo did.
Again I can't speak for the Evora cause I don't own one but still, seen many in dealers and they all seemed very nicely made.

• Haha 1

Lotus don’t claim to have amazing build quality because they’re not about comfort they’re about driving experience. And I don’t mean that in a bad way but a good way. Not having build quality isn’t an insult but when comparing it to a gt car it has to be mentioned 

As I said, different ball game 

• Like 2

On 07/09/2018 at 10:27, LRF4N said:

To be fair to the OP I don't think he's necessarily saying otherwise, he's more trying to work out which particular ball game he wants to play. :lol:

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like the OP wants a GT with proper performance rather than the outright sports car that the Lotus undeniably is.

• Haha 1

On 07/09/2018 at 01:04, hmale4yu said:

Good points. I do however still think that theres more to a car then just performance - if it was all about the pure driving experience then a Caterham Seven would be up there.

Theres something to a showy sports car that has to look the part . Imo the Nismo Mk2 looks just as impressive but obviously lacks the performance. 

In addition , build quality. Videos like these seem to make me lean towards buying a Porsche over a Lotus . The later Nismos seem not to have any niggles touch wood

A Catherham 7 is right up there, but its even more focused than an Exige (lack of roof, boot, windscreen, relative comfort etc) so its only ever going to be a toy for very occasional road blasts and proper track work, as Mike has said, its no problem to use an Exige on the road, if you just wanted a serious track toy, a Caterham would be a lot of peoples choice. 

I agree a car has to look good (well in my eyes), but it has to tick a few more boxes, i am not interested in a car just for how it looks. Seems most would agree, you dont buy a Lotus for build quality, comfort etc, its ALL about performance/handling, if you happen to like the look its just a bonus, so a Porsche is always going to offer more in that department and so it should its more expensive on the most part.

As Ilokigal says, what ball game do you want to play, what you after looks, performance, build quality and what sort of driving do you do, daily, track work, weekend fun?

On 07/09/2018 at 10:23, Mikevv said:

Go look at some of the SHOCKING stuff in Aston Martins, but people forgive it because " well its handmade "

A mate of mine has a DB11, it is absolutely superb, perhaps a good few years back quality wasnt all that, but its a very different story in more recent years imho and no one i know spending that sort of money would expect anything less, handmade or not!

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:27, LRF4N said:

Lotus don’t claim to have amazing build quality because they’re not about comfort they’re about driving experience. And I don’t mean that in a bad way but a good way. Not having build quality isn’t an insult but when comparing it to a gt car it has to be mentioned 

you see this is where some people incl myself would have to disagree. A lot of buyers expect good build quality when they are paying above £50k for a car. you get that with Porsche , 370z/GTR, F Type etc

Another point which isn't lotus' fault but as cars are getting bigger in general (and Lotus' commitment to weight saving) means that their cars look relatively small in comparison to what else is on the road. You really that impression here in London (and possibly other urban areas). The exige at least seems to "disappear" on London roads (similar to MX5, smart roadsters, mark 1 TT etc) - its just that they don't have that beefy look to them ; in insolation they look special they really do but get lost somewhat when in traffic if that makes sense?

Yea makes sense. Back in the day small hatchbacks like fiestas and polos were the smallest in the range. As they’ve grown there’s been space for smaller models

But they’re not about road presence, just like they’re not about comfort :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

you see this is where some people incl myself would have to disagree. 

Those some people and yourself wouldnt buy a Lotus then or shouldnt, if you want quality buy a Posrche or whatever else, if you want pure driving experience you will forgo the odd niggle like that dude in the video.

Seems you are more worried about looks and what everyone thinks of the looks!

^^ Dont get me wrong, i personally like whatever i am driving to look good at least to me, i dont really care what anyone else thinks though, but it has to tick a few other boxes too. The only real exception to that was the VX, not a good looking car at all, although i did think it had something about it.