Causes of electrical fire?

muzzer

Hi, I hope this is in the right sub-forum.

My 2004 350z had a fire last night. No obvious external cause (unless someone turned the alarm on after setting the fire and shutting the door).

The inside of the driver's door and the front right corner of the driver's seat are completely destroyed, lots of damage to the interior roof trim etc, seat part-melted etc,  and the insurer wants to write the car off :(

I last used it at the weekend and the fire happened in the middle of the night, so the car was completely cold.

I re-filled the screenwash at the weekend, it took about 2 litres, but I can't imagine that's relevant.

I can only imagine that something in the cabling, which I think runs down the side of the driver's seat, failed and sparked. There was some kitchen roll in the doorwell which would have ignited and clearly did.

I wondered if anyone has any experience of this and, before I take the write-off amount, any suggestions of places in or around London that might be able to fix it.

Thank you all in advance.

Zmanalex will most likely have all the spare parts you need, what do you think needs replacing?

Fire damaged cars are often write offs though as removing the smell of burnt fabric and plastic can be close to impossible.

Even if you were to replace all the seats and any other burnt/melted areas with new parts the car may still smell too bad to continue to drive.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. It needs the drivers door window motor and trim etc, the drivers seat (most of it is ok but the corner and motor under it destroyed), roof trim, plus there’s smoke damage to the windows. Tbh it doesn’t smell too bad. Plus related electrics obviously.