Moving On

davey_83

I think it's fair to say every amateur and hobbyist home detailer, has at some point used either Turtle Wax, Meguiars or AutoGlym in their inventory. Cheap to buy, easy to obtain and does a decent job. Since then enthusias brands have come along to pinch a portion of the market. I've since moved on to and currently use Dodo Juice, AutoSmart, Bilt Hamber, Chemical Guys, Soft99, Autobrite, ValetPro, Gtechniq amd now CarChem. Even drying methods from chamois leathers, to plush 1000gsm drying towels.

What were your go too car care products and what have to moved on too?

Trying out CarChem Connoisseur Wax. Both Soft99 and HDwax do a sterling job, so might still be my go to products in 3 months time.

1405856093_IMG_20180828_1902564812.jpg.8c1c0bb4ebec87fa12cfd0244ea4f83e.jpg

Ran out of my favourite Autobrite Lux Suds, so trying out CarChem shampoo concentrate.

1376927974_IMG_20180828_1906020362.jpg.dfb7b653578f1ea3b6bd0425b51de0b1.jpg

BriteGel is amazing!!!

1957062382_IMG_20180828_1907428762.jpg.2f6da2bfb6fa3f0e54861632e63a95e0.jpg

The all important AIO

1885985265_IMG_20180828_1910198372.jpg.42e6d9e160cc6367ac7432541a47ee94.jpg

More brand loyalty....

121760145_IMG_20180828_1908526692.jpg.10521ac01fc5fc2fc14d679610321855.jpg

Both Rapid Detailer and Ult Quik Detailer, do a great job and would easily buy again but keen to try out Gtechniq offering.

1766924074_IMG_20180828_1904504262.jpg.05efb863aa784664286bd11fa34ca012.jpg

Newbie to try out - Autobrite 'the reaper'

1883073548_IMG_20180828_1627513232.jpg.88af3f6225f50ca48de4cf2d058855b1.jpg

Always mild wash new towels

IMG_20180828_163118155.jpg.a2b4d00a6f9c96fbc46b9880ce9be479.jpg

Yuk

1851375218_IMG_20180828_1633317752.jpg.c7ce18a96557ac7a2b857938a0fa87b8.jpg

Autobrite The Reaper 350z paint work & glass, Dodo Juice as back up.

CYC drying towel for other cars, Kent drying towel for alloys. 

IMG_20180828_185757844.jpg.71903ceeada5d338e6ce4dff9f8b9a15.jpg

Edited by davey_83

AutoBrite products are average at best (and that's often being generous), IMO. Usually moderately priced for what they do but there's too much focus on making it a pretty colour or a pleasant smell rather than making it work. The Hell Shine range is a little better, but still not the best available. I still don't agree with their business methods either so would never buy anything direct from them again!

To be honest, there's much better products available.

• Like 1

I always used to use Maguires for the low price and convenience (always found it to be better than AutoGlym) but after i bought my Zed in October i wanted to treat it to some proper car cleaning products. Ive found Auto Finesse to be my favourite brand at the moment, costs an arm and a leg for their stuff but it sure makes the Zed look mint B) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silverthorn said:

It still amazes me at how good the AutoBride Glaze is! Still one of my favourite car cleaning product to date :thumbs: That combined with Poorboy's Black Hole gives a seriously deep shine

@davey_83 How do you find the other AutoBride products? I am yet to give them a go

Cheery Glaze is a great AIO, easy on easy off with zero chalk and fills/hides blemishes nicely.

It's fair to say I'm a fan :thumbs: the only product I didn't get along with was the tyre shine. Not enough gloss despite its name, for my desired look.

825108592_IMG_20161010_2247132.jpg.185ad4f93911bb2eeec30393d2ffd27c.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLI38 said:

I always used to use Maguires for the low price and convenience (always found it to be better than AutoGlym) but after i bought my Zed in October i wanted to treat it to some proper car cleaning products. Ive found Auto Finesse to be my favourite brand at the moment, costs an arm and a leg for their stuff but it sure makes the Zed look mint B) 

And available from Halfords.

I was going to say, if you want to have a good experiment with cleaning products you MUST shop online as AG Megs and AF are just stocked through Halfords and there are so many better brands and products out there. 

There are traders on here offering better products also websites like Polished Bliss who offer free postage, Clean My Car also have a loyalty scheme so you can claim back money too. 

I discovered Gyeon Bathe+ online for example and have not moved from it since which isn't available in Halfords!

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

Turtle wax was my go to back when I was using a sponge and brush to clean cars :lol:

I've found now I keep going back to ez car care products. Pretty good mid range and easy to use plus works out cheap if you hold off for a sale which they have often.

Their arctic snow foam is the best I've tried over the years

Soft99 wax was new to me this year, trialed it on the audi earlier in the year and its still going well

Desperately need a good easy to use glaze for black cars as despite my best efforts the audi is turning back into swirl city :thumbdown:  Never getting a black car again!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I’ve gone from Lidl’s own brand washing up liquid to Fairy Platinum. My paintwork has never looked so spotless, never mind how soft my hands are now. 

You really need to try Persil non-bio mate; just drop a liquid tab into a bucket of 40degree water. Stick to the liquid tabs though, the powder can be a little chalky.

Top tip; for really stubborn dirt add a drop of Vanish too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scobie140 said:

Desperately need a good easy to use glaze for black cars as despite my best efforts the audi is turning back into swirl city :thumbdown:  Never getting a black car again!

Poorboys Black Hole (or white diamond, it doesn’t matter), Auto Finesse Ultra Glaze or AM Details Glaze are all exceptionally good. Not that I’ve tried many detailing products of course... :lol:

4 hours ago, scobie140 said:

Turtle wax was my go to back when I was using a sponge and brush to clean cars :lol:

I've found now I keep going back to ez car care products. Pretty good mid range and easy to use plus works out cheap if you hold off for a sale which they have often.

Their arctic snow foam is the best I've tried over the years

Soft99 wax was new to me this year, trialed it on the audi earlier in the year and its still going well

Machine polish needed and if that's been done, good pre wash (snow foam, so you have that covered) plush mitts, two buckets, grit guards, good wash technique, plush drying towels all help to keep swirls at bay. Whenever we come into contact with paint work, you're either enhancing or marring the finish. At shows, quick detailing causing issues also sadly. Sorry if im teaching granny to suck eggs.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Poorboys Black Hole (or white diamond, it doesn’t matter), Auto Finesse Ultra Glaze or AM Details Glaze are all exceptionally good. Not that I’ve tried many detailing products of course... :lol:

haha I was hoping you'd chip in with your experience. I'll get some ordered up next time i'm stocking up :thumbs: 

3 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Machine polish needed and if that's been done, good pre wash (snow foam, so you have that covered) plush mitts, two buckets, grit guards, good wash technique, plush drying towels all help to keep swirls at bay. Whenever we come into contact with paint work, you're either enhancing or marring the finish. At shows, quick detailing causing issues also sadly. Sorry if im teaching granny to suck eggs.

Yep done / do all of that. Unfortunately the black just exaggerates everything. The plan is to get a good glaze and use that between polishes when required. To be honest 9/10 people don't really notice it but because i'm up close washing,drying, etc I see it and it bugs me.

• Like 2

quite like Angelwax products

CLARITY glass cleaner and H2go rain repellent is excellent

QED quick detailer is awesome

also use Koch Kemie FSE as a QD...big bottle very cheap (removes water spotting as well!!)

+1 for Poorboys black hole

also used CG blacklight, and have had good results with it, 

Blit hamber products are all excellent, especially autofoam and autowash (excellent Value for money)

Ragmaster/Rag company microfibres are the only way to go...the eagle edgless are sooooooo soft.

recently moved away from Lambswool wash mits in favour of the microfibre madness incredipad...easy to care for...just bung it in the washer

Edited by Paul K
typos
  • Like 1