Alpine A110 by Renault

GranTurismoEra

3 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

I am sure you know this and perhaps this is where the problem is, its not a Renault, its an Alpine! No different to  Infinti/Nissan, Lexus/Toyota, even Bentley/VW, if people can get away from the Renault thing does £50k seem a lot these days?

LOL rebranding. Reminds me of businesses who change front of house staff and have them working back office and replace them with young attractive models. The old Fiat/Ferrari thing from back in the day. Depends on the consumer. Problem is peoples wages haven't gone up dramatically. But its still well under inflation. 50K is still more than what majority are willing to pay for a mid range sports car with a 4 banger and muted exhausts. The customer will still know. I guess youre buying a bit of exclusivity and partially handbuilt machines

Problem is many people dont see them as a premium brand so £50,000 is probably the limit a lot of people would pay for a car like this. Lower it by 15k and you probably sell a bucket load more although still a tough market here in UK

Edited by GranTurismoEra

27 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Its nothing to do with rebranding, its an Alpine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_(automobile)

On autotrader the older model is listed as Renault Alpine. Still a Renault. I have a good mind to call it a Renault Nissan Alpine

Doesnt change my opinion that its still a nice car. If I had enough dosh I would consider one despite no manual option. I dont care for badges one of the reasons I like japs and the Z

My brother had the Renault clio sport 182 7 years. Nice car too. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

I thought that was French according to your reasoning? 

When did I say that? Both Renault and Nissan have direct inputs in each others companies. The influence is there.

These are tiny symantecs 

Nissan Renault Mitsubishi with Daimler the smaller shareholder. You decide what it is. 

Still a nice Renault. I have nothing against Renault or french cars. 

18 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I have a good mind to call it a Renault Nissan Alpine

15 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

When did I say that? 

Apologies i thought you were lumping them all together.

Anyway on wards and upwards, i watched a good few video reviews of the A110 last night, all pretty positive about how it drives etc and was mostly compared to the 4c (and Cayman of course), personally i think its good to see a couple of cars in the market place as an alternative to the Cayman and whilst neither can perhaps match the overall package, i would be pretty happy with either over a Cayman.

Whats other peoples thoughts out of the three?

Id take the Alpine although above what I think its truly worth. Also because its different and you don't see many around and I can fit in it (6'2). Cayman for much later down the line I think. 

Well done to Renault for bringing Alpine back also having the MR configuration similar to the Porsches. Id like to see them try the same setup again with a V6 or similar further down the line. Preferably with a Manual Option. 

I have a feeling this ones here to stay for a while with a limited production for now. Only negative is the tame exhaust. First thing to change

Different doesn't always equal better but having a choice is a good thing and reviews are rating it highly.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Id take the Alpine although above what I think its truly worth.

Preferably with a Manual Option. 

From what i have been reading (and probably the same for the 4c) if they had a manual option the overall showroom price would be even higher, i really cant see many cars being rolled out with manuals anymore, its low down the spec list if it is an option these days and you can perhaps blame the US for that, in 2016 only 3% of all cars sold were manuals, i know its different over here, but if your making a low volume sports car the US is the area you will be targeting.

manuals were usually the cheaper option. Well I remember the Nissan sales guy telling me the auto version of 370 was 3k more. Also manuals on the used market used to be cheaper. 

The market for sports cars is more in the US but I dont think Renault have sold a car in the US for decades. Thats why the Nissan/Infiniti Renault partnership works well for each party in their respective markets. 

Also in places like Russia and India you just approach the local car companies and offer up a partnership to make something pertaining to that market. Like they have done so far

I dont see Alpine going to USA anytime soon. Infiniti will continue over there as their main. With the long driving distances hybrid/electric is the way forward for Nissan/Infiniti

2 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

manuals were usually the cheaper option.

Its not about a part vs part cost, but for production you would need different tooling, wiring looms, mounts, even initial development etc etc, so on a small scale limited numbers its just not worth offering both.

For those of you within reasonable distance of Park Royal Nissan on A40. If youre interested in seeing the car old and new. There is an event taking place on the 20th of January from 10.00AM. See pic for details. 

Also took some pics while I was there and spoke to the main man. I will post them later. 

A40 not A4 in London!

London_opening.jpg

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Saw one yesterday on the Strand outside work in the metal...in blue...it was as hideous as the pictures. No Road presence and looked like a mashed up peogeot 911 Aston + some warm hatch derivative. From an aesthetic point of view and road presence it looked odd, like a kit car or something.

The 4C definitely, styling wise its very italian and holds its own - it sounded much better than the Alpine that drove past me, in fact I could barely hear it on tick over whereas the 4C rumbled past sounding like it had a V8 at its heart. 

The MX5 isnt a £50k car and aimed at a different market so not a fair comparison - but up alongside the 4C the A110 just looks like spare parts bin effort vs perfected Italian styling and the noise is night and day, on looks presence and noise alone the 4C is head and shoulders above the A110 in my opinion.