Alpine A110 by Renault

GranTurismoEra

Aye fair enough, only commenting on what I have witnessed on the road and the car moving. In terms of presence i.e. looks the Alpine looked like a parts bin effort with a weird duck tail with 911 vents and bizarre light strip at the back which made it look all hunched up and squat then the front was very flat, odd looking dual lights even the lights looked like they came from two different cars, it just looked squat at the back and thin and lacking purpose at the front - if it pulled up behind me I would have thought it was a warm hatch Hyundai or something in the mirror. 

It is definitely very hot hatch now you mention it, but then i guess that is what the French are good at :thumbs: maybe it appeals to the ex Clio/Megane etc owners that have out grown/got older/increased earnings and want something a bit more sophisticated but still a decent drive.

Its not a looker like the 4C, but i like it, i wouldnt buy one but nice to see something a bit different imho B)

Edited by Jetpilot

The front is paying homage to the original. Not everyones cup, but retaining a retrostyle. Hey not everyone is going to like it. Besides while all the other manufacturers are playing it safe good on them to design something that looks different from anything on the road.

Looks are subjective and its got good feedback from the critics. Top gear car of the year and finalist for car of the year at Geneva 2019. 

A lot of people dont like the 370Z nismo mark 2 look because its trying too hard to be a supercar. So you cant win. I rather a different design which is the japanese way than a standard audi a5 mk 1 look. Each to their own I guess. 

4c probably has a race exhaust. These will need a custom exhaust. Funny how all the jap sports cars are muted to meet stringent requirements. But germans like my bros 911 are loud from factory.

I get the retro look, but the modernised version has got it all wrong, it looks a mish mash of things - it doesn't have an identity in my opinion. The front looks retro the back tries to look too modern and fails. But hey, subjective as you say, although would like to see a Poll of who prefers what based on the pictures of A110 and 4C above...

1 hour ago, coldel said:

who prefers what based on the pictures of A110 and 4C above...

dont bother, we know what the result will be. They sold 1723 so far in 12 months and new dealers are opening up in Australia and  Japan. cant that bad looking even Americans want it in US but it aint happening cuz Renault. 

Im not a huge fan of Renault, but its good too see them go against the grain. Market says dont build a mid range sports car as it wont sell great

Hey each to their own lol I think its a nice car. The front is somewhat different from any modern car and goes back to the original car. 4C looks nice too.

The interior blows away the 4C. Very nicely done. Just the screen maybe should be integrated with the dash

Edited by GranTurismoEra

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to the lady. Said her husband wanted to get the yellow inner lights like the blue one. Not so sure. The tricolore vinyl is very nice. French tourists will love that here in London.

The sales guy wanted me to come back for a test drive. Tbh I only want to drive it if Im buying. Ill see at end of this year if no new Z on horizon then maybe but starting to like the M2 watching the reviews and edits on YouTube.

Who knows. 

You might not like it if you drove it, so I would grab the opportunity and get that test drive, same goes for a M2, you can watch all the reviews in the world but ultimately it will come down to which you prefer to drive in most cases, so whether its now or later in the year that your in a position to buy, start narrowing the list down and when it comes to pulling the pin, your primed to know what your going for or at least between a couple of contenders.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the latest episode of the grand tour at a mates yesterday evening and they (James May) had one out on the track, he liked it so much he bought one, not that is any recommendation of course and it was within a couple of tenths off a Cayman S & M4 GTS around the Eboladrome and only a couple of secs of the GTR for reference, shows how much everything has moved on since the GTR came out ten years ago.

• Like 1

Yes watched that also (have to say best TGT episode for some time!) and you could tell within 10 seconds how the whole review would play out. May never really slates a car unless its got a Nurburgring association. Still think the car is hideous, although I can see the attraction of getting something different from a big run production car like a beemer, but for me at starting price of £50k there is way too much competition out there.

• Like 1

Agreed it was a good episode, shame they dont do a few more like that.

I am not so sure there is, i would say the Cayman is the only competition (4C not being produced anymore) there may well be a few cars at that price point but they are very different to this and the Cayman, its got its work cut out taking on a Cayman as the benchmark, but why not, a different approach to get the same result, lighter and less powerful and obviously its worked if it can knock out similar lap times, whilst it may not be as polished its doing the job, even Porsche fanboi Chris Harris says not being a Porsche is a good thing about the 4c so presume he would follow suit on this

Shame the looks dont work for me either i cannot disagree on that.

I watched the Top Gear Review where it caught fire. Its the same engine as the megane and detuned. Im sure its a good car. But 50k is steep for what it is. Steep for me anyway. Overall steep for a 4 pot 1.8. When the initial hype dies down. We'll see if there's any depreciation. Some say it will hold its value at 50k.

I started to find Chris Harris annoying lately. His 992 911 review was as boring as he sounded. Hes full of cliches and a badge snob. Kept reminding us it was a Renault or at least theirs no Renault badge in sight or the makers say its not a Renault. Its used parts from Renault good to know and so on and so forth

It seems a good car regardless of badge

Edited by GranTurismoEra