Ford Fiesta ST150 MK 6

Snjur

This afternoon quite of set back. After having gerbox down we found the cause of whining noise. Initially I suspect on differential but it turned out to be main gearbox shaft. Teeth on shaft had been damage.

I got spare gearbox from Ford Focus 2.0 and in visual inspection it was clear they are do not have the same housint bell.

Major disaster. 

After few phone calls it was clear i will not find spare gearbox anytime soon.

We decided to open spare from Focus and hope internals will be the same.

Fortune favours the brave and spare Focus gearbox was identical with internals and in good shape. So we decided to assemble Focus gearbox inside Fiesta ST housing.

Later in the afternoon I've collected manifold and header's. Cool bits

IMG_20180928_144241.jpg

IMG_20180928_154741.jpg

IMG_20180928_144232.jpg

IMG_20180928_180053.jpg

• Like 1

Busy day today. Hopefully all will be done tomorrow as I have body works and painting booked on Wednesday.

So far throttle (60mm) is on, flywheel was lightened from 8.25 to 6.5 kg so quite anxious to see result. Anembo spacers have been added on rear axle to improve high speed stability. Gearbox up and manifold wraped with heat tape

IMG_20181001_144723.jpg

IMG_20181001_150912.jpg

IMG_20181001_141329.jpg

IMG_20181001_140205.jpg

IMG_20181001_141150.jpg

IMG_20181001_131505.jpg

IMG_20181001_130624.jpg

IMG_20181001_150934.jpg

• Like 1

Can't believe I haven't spotted this thread before. Used to have a MK6 ST before my 370. Loved that car, it was so unbelievably fun to drive! Had a spec list as long as my arm before I sold it as well:lol: the car was completely gutted, no audio system, no heater system or AC, no sound deadening or carpet, headlining and all trim removed as well as a whole host of suspension/braking mods, engine rebuild etc. etc. ... Horrendously impractical but so fun at the same time! I spent way too much money on that car! :lol:

Here's mine not too long before I sold it. 

FB_IMG_1538426631297.jpg.9b4c27a955228482ff1be226d1fa7f67.jpg

I look forward to seeing how yours progresses :thumbs:

11 minutes ago, Silverthorn said:

Can't believe I haven't spotted this thread before. Used to have a MK6 ST before my 370. Loved that car, it was so unbelievably fun to drive! Had a spec list as long as my arm before I sold it as well:lol: the car was completely gutted, no audio system, no heater system or AC, no sound deadening or carpet, headlining and all trim removed as well as a whole host of suspension/braking mods, engine rebuild etc. etc. ... Horrendously impractical but so fun at the same time! I spent way too much money on that car! :lol:

Wooooow. That was serious build. Performance wise that was full moded.

What power you had in the end? 

I'm after any tips that you might share and that can save me time learning on my mistakes.

So far I discovered gearbox is weak link, first was shifting which was very stiff and afterwards unfortunately gear shaft. Good thing internals from Focus MK2 can fit so rebuild is not so "costly". And for shifting I greased everything good ao will try tomorrow.

Im trying to squeeze out as much as I can with basic mods without opening engine. I would be happy with some 180-190 figure after i put cams and inlet manifold. I really don't wan't to go full mental as this should be daily car 

Only thing I'm concerned is remap of ECU. For now I have some tune of one fiesta that had 166 bhp on dyno. Which mod it had I have no clue but my car is running excellent now. I have feeling it's different car.

I was thinking after so many Google searches to go with Dreamsiencd Stratagem box which has a lot of tunes inside.

Unfortunately I'm in Croatia so Fiesta ST aren't much popular nor do we have so much tubers available to work on OEM computer

2 hours ago, Silverthorn said:

Mine was more standard than yours but I agree they great cars. 

F0213BF8-D5BE-41DB-BA44-0D2FD9A6D918.jpeg

4E9AAC01-8F46-4C04-9631-D0B6204F0D1F.jpeg

• Like 1

My car made 191bhp before I sold it. This was with a miltek 4-1 manifold, decat, 60mm throttle body, ramair intake and a set of newman phase 2 cams. The engine was only rebuild with ARP bolts and different big end bearings as well as a baffled sump so nothing too crazy. It still had the stock pistons etc. You can stretch to 200bhp or potentially a little more with a cosworth inlet manifold but you lose a lot of torque by doing so. If you have a look at the dyno graphs the cosworth inlet manifold only starts making more power than the stock manifold about around 6500rpm. On both the road and the track you'll find that a 200bhp ST with a cosworth inlet is actually slightly slower than a 190 ish bhp ST with a stock inlet. 

If you really want to change your inlet then there are only really 2 options. Finding a second hand mountune inlet manifold as these get the 200bhp while actually gaining torque rather than losing any. These are very expensive nowadays though, some are fetching around £1500! The other option is a company over here makes custom inlets. There's a thread of the FiestaSTOC about them. The company is called Fusion Fabrications. They're the only 2 inlet manifolds worth investing in really. 

In my opinion it's best to go for around the 190bhp mark and leave it there. The amount you'll need to spend to get that extra 10bhp would be much better spent elsewhere on the car. 

I've heard good things about dreamscience and their stratagem box so I'm sure you won't be disappointed. They're one of the very few companies where you actually get very close to what they quote you bhp wise. 

@Silverthorn I had a talk with a chap who has ST150 rated on dyno 198 bhp with Cosworth inlet manifold. As per him below 5200 rpm there is significant loss of torque and with Cossy manifold and Cams majority of that power is from 6k to 7.8k rpm. Which for daily driver is not something I'm after.

I think i already had a look on FF inlets but they are pricey too, around 800 gbp if I'm not mistaken.

If I could reach 180-190 with cams and without inlet manifold expenses that would be awesome result as I'm going with similar mods like you do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit of updates after a while.... Buddy who is doing painting had delayed so much. More than a month.

Also finally we found reason of gearbox problems. Bearing's from IB5 which we use for repair are different than ones on standard Fiesta ST150 IB5+ gearbox. Sometimes rushing and taking shortcuts takes toll.

To avoid any further problems we ordered complete set of new bearings seals etc. New LUK clutch set with slave cylinder. Hopefully by Tuesday car will be back again for final assembly to body shop and MOT.

Deposit payed to Fusion Fabrications for inlet manifold which gives huge improvements in torque and mid range.

IMG-20181113-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20181113-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20181113-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20181113-WA0012.jpg

received_541786799595277.jpeg

received_311413409672467.jpeg

received_2082529978726699.jpeg

received_343311639576254.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow that's a sexy intake, will look and surely perform amazing. What's the standard compression ratio with these? With my old Almera GTi (obviously a 2.0l non variable cam engine) so comparable, I made 196bhp with tomei cams, lightweight pulleys, afpr, intake, exhaust, decat and asp fully merged stepped header and would have gone over 200bhp with VE pistons upping the comp. ratio over standard. 

nissan-almera-gti-1a.jpg.34555e5cda0159170aff8c568e6cd027.jpg

• Like 1

From what I've managed to find on-line reviews are that this is closest thing to ITB's and from few video's it sounds really good and loud. 

Compression ratio is 10.8:1 on ST but I don't wan't to open engine

I will try to keep as simple as possible just bolt on mods aside cam's.

I realy hope to see 190 bhp figure at the end. So far biggest concer is ECU tune in Croatia. Hopefully all will work well with Dreamscience 

Awesome looking Almera bud

• Like 2

To be honest things are not going the way I intended.

Way too much delays with gearbox which are weak link on ST but hopefully that is sorted now. All new bearings have been installed. This evening I'm towing car back do body shop for assembly.

Keeping fingers cross that all will work well with inlet manifold and camshafts.

Once you start playing with this things you never know what you will find under the surface.

Edited by Snjur

So.... Got the car from shop. Gearbox looks to be working fine. 

Installed power steering cooler and Vibra technics torque link.

Went to borrow a tow truck, loaded car and left if with another buddy in body shop.

Finally bit movement in positive direction

IMG_20181127_181358.jpg

IMG_20181127_180620.jpg

IMG_20181127_181457.jpg

IMG_20181127_181447.jpg

IMG-20181127-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20181127-WA0013.jpg

• Like 2

It's aliveeeeee!

How mot has expired and car is still not completed as far as body job (missing lights bumpers etc ...) I really hadn't have chance to actually try gearbox. We did try bit on parking lot but hard to tell anything from parking lot trial.

Luckily a buddy who is working on body and assembly is located outside town with nice country curvy roads around.

I rushed there around 16pm before sunset to take advantage of last rays of lights since headlight's are not installed.

Gearbox is working fine, no any suspicious noise. Gear change is bit stiff which is related to other problem and is relatively easy diy.

Quaife is such a lovely thing. After 350z and RWD I forget a "pulling" feeling of FWD cars and how much fun these hot hatches are on twisty roads.

Scorpion manifold and sport cat together with 60mm Throttle upgrade are really noticeable. Car feels much more alive and is pulling stronger through rpm's which is also a benefit from flywheel which was shaved by 1.7 kg.

As it is now and with present upgrades car is perfect for daily drive. Small feisty car!

I can only imagine once all completed with intake manifold,cams and Dreamsience remap how handful it will be.

And i really hope not to go full  retard  and extreme again as always one upgrade leads to another.

Edited by Snjur
  • Like 3