Ford Fiesta ST150 MK 6

Snjur

So.... 

I was in need for DD car, as with Z I went over the line in full retard mode and having car useful in certain conditions only.

Looking for something budget friendly and yet enough fun for everyday hustle I turned to Fiesta ST. Why? I wanted NA car again got nostalgic for sound and revs, I didn't want to spend much money on something for daily abuse, didn't want FI car due to maintenance, and with all that in mind  main of it's competitors have been seriously abused throughout years like Clio Sport or Ep3 Type R plus are still with price much more up than ST. In Croatia ST haven't been popular, more so it's much easier if found to be in good condition.

Minding that all and having already Ford Focus mk3 wagon with diesels engine at home I decided for Ford again. Ford has proved to be reliable car with good driving capabilities.

After a days of search abroad and at home I managed to find 2007 model from first owner with 90k KM on odo.

Good thing is first owner, basic mods have already been done, Bilstein B8 with eibach springs, Focust ST rotors and calipers,KN air filter, downpipe 60mm and OZ wheel.

On down side exterior is showing wears and tears of 11 years city driving and has LPG.

Throughout quick search online it uses Duratec 2.0L engine with 150bhp which due to Eco norm 4 has been largely restricted.

With basic intake and exhaust mods, larger throttle and remap figures of 180 bhp can be achived. For my intentions and purpose more than enough.

As I see awaits me to find headers Milltek or similar, sport cat and the rest of exhaust i can do on my own. 

Servo liquid is prone to overheating and I found from Mountune cooling kit for that.

Remap and that would be all. Small swifty daily to fight routine's.

If any one has experiences with MK6 ST's what to look for, upgraded parts etc input will be more than welcome.

Ah yes and hope by end month to have it on my driveway

IMG-20180819-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20180819-WA0031.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived yesterday finally.

So first thing will be full respray in original colour with front grille, front and rear fog lights in gloss black. Little body work is needed too which is not surprising since she spent all of the time in city.

I'm afraid I will go full retard again with this car. One upgrade is leading to another and before you know it agian DD car is overturned in project car

After respray I reckon we will start with engine mods. 

A suspension on the end.

received_284375539048279.jpeg

• Like 2

Few quick shots...

After browsing and looking around lately on which route to go with tune up, from yesterday I'm very close in securing Jam Sport stage 2/3 not sure exactly on kit name which gives 200 bhp as per previous owner. Its second hand and has been removed from Fiesta ST containing Cossy intake manifold, larger throttle, cam's and Milltek exhaust with manifols sport cat, missing only rear silencer and Jam Sport ECU flash.

Also the same owner has a Quaife helical diff. I really hope we will find reasonable price on all package which will keep us happy both.

And here we go again same old story DD car turning into project. 

received_312505919555804.jpeg

received_467338487105970.jpeg

received_307718293113473.jpeg

received_271118343376457.jpeg

received_257266178456234.jpeg

received_1993679017592086.jpeg

received_2014977908563038.jpeg

received_684254838610543.jpeg

received_310377589766793.jpeg

1 hour ago, Nso93 said:

Had one of these when I was 18. You can achieve 200bhp na in these in the uk. A company called pumaspeed do conversion kits

Yeah i was looking on it, but people say between Pumaspeed, Mountune and Jam sport, Puma has the weakest HP and worst fuel consumption. Either way im just looking for most budget friendly option.

1 minute ago, Snjur said:

Yeah i was looking on it, but people say between Pumaspeed, Mountune and Jam sport, Puma has the weakest HP and worst fuel consumption. Either way im just looking for most budget friendly option.

This was 7 years ago. Some of the parts aren’t available anymore 

1 hour ago, Snjur said:

Yeah majority is obsolete these days. I don't know just had a blast from the past and decided i want tuned ST.

Mountune would be the way I’d go if I went down that route again. With added reassurance they’re approved by ford

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Snjur said:

A budget friendly project car? you should know better  :lol: 

11 hours ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

When i had my focus st i went to dreamscience, they know their stuff. They are based in Hull. They do a lot of testing for ford also. a lot of stuff sold for ford st cars comes from them as far as i remember.

I forgot to mention im from Croatia so visiting tuner shops in UK is not an option

2 hours ago, Snjur said:

I forgot to mention im from Croatia so visiting tuner shops in UK is not an option

Dreamscience do deliver i believe some of their stuff is awesome they have hand sets for ecu flashing and stuff so you don't necessarily have to visit them if you know what i mean? 

2 hours ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Dreamscience do deliver i believe some of their stuff is awesome they have hand sets for ecu flashing and stuff so you don't necessarily have to visit them if you know what i mean? 

Yeah I've been looking into their stiff too. Will see after I meet lad who has this Jam Sport 200 kit which comes together with "box" and ecu flashes. 

Great choice!!

I used to have a ST150 till a couple of years back. I had to resist the urge to mod it as it was the Mrs car to just run around in. Did manage to sneak on the focus st brakes as an upgrade which really did make an improvement. I see someone very sensibly has fitted some nice lightweight OZ wheels to yours, think the Ford made the originals from cast iron!! They were the heaviest 17" wheels I've ever lifted I think!!

Used to love driving it down a twisty B-road! Feels like 200mph at 70mph, good little chassis but as you've said the engines are so choked up from the factory which is a shame.

I had no issues at all with my car for the 2 years I ran it, my only criticism was how short the gear ratios are......you're in 5th from 40mph driving normally so its screaming on a run up a motorway when you have to do that which did get tiring. Regarding issues with them, when I did my homework before buying mine the only thing I kept reading was about gearboxes sh**ing themselves............although I suspect this was more down to all the side stepping the clutch at 6000rpm at the traffic lights their whole lives rather than it being a really bad 'box!

My mint little Fiesta ST150

gR4VuQ8l.jpg

iDdbPUQl.jpg

• Like 1

@350Butcher I've read as well on gearbox issues. I hope it will not be the case with mine. Although... Differential is very noisy I reckon bearing. I've tried with new oil but no luck. Anyway this morning I've ordered Quaife Atb with new shaft seals and bearing diff from Burton power. Other thing I noticed changing of gears is bit stiff. I found few videos on YT how to fix that.

Second thing is power steering tank location. Oil is boiling very quickly so I will go with PSA relocator kit and power steering cooler. 

Afterwards is just all plug and play mods.

But all in all really lovely car and quite fun for daily activities.

This morning I went for ECU reflash. Quite positive upgrade for 30 gbp.

Response on gas pedal is much better. Car feels more alive. All in all quite happy with change.

Quaife already arrived. Unbelievable. Payed yesterday and this morning already in Croatia

IMG_20180920_131132.jpg

On 19/09/2018 at 13:41, Snjur said:

@350Butcher I've read as well on gearbox issues. I hope it will not be the case with mine. Although... Differential is very noisy I reckon bearing. I've tried with new oil but no luck. Anyway this morning I've ordered Quaife Atb with new shaft seals and bearing diff from Burton power. Other thing I noticed changing of gears is bit stiff. I found few videos on YT how to fix that.

Second thing is power steering tank location. Oil is boiling very quickly so I will go with PSA relocator kit and power steering cooler. 

Afterwards is just all plug and play mods.

But all in all really lovely car and quite fun for daily activities.

Its all coming back to me now!! Think the weakness in the 'box is the diff so with the Quaife installed you'll be fixing that...........I ran the Quaife atb diff in my old Mk2 Astra GTE track car and it put 280hp to the ground very effectively!! If you've not driven with one before with fwd they actually pull the car into a tighter line on acceleration through the corner which takes some getting used to but gives great traction on its way out of the corners and you can get on the power so early.

Mine did the same with the gear shift becoming stiff, if I recall correctly you remove a rocker arm off the front of the box and open up the pivot point half a mm (to 12.5mm I think) and that sorted it. Be even better if you opened it up further and pressed in a bearing instead of plastic bushing.

Power steering boiling over too I remember reading about, wasn't a problem for me on the road but tracking it I think the issue starts. As you say a relocation kit fixes it.

Great fun little toy..........enjoy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Its all coming back to me now!! Think the weakness in the 'box is the diff so with the Quaife installed you'll be fixing that...........I ran the Quaife atb diff in my old Mk2 Astra GTE track car and it put 280hp to the ground very effectively!! If you've not driven with one before with fwd they actually pull the car into a tighter line on acceleration through the corner which takes some getting used to but gives great traction on its way out of the corners and you can get on the power so early.

Mine did the same with the gear shift becoming stiff, if I recall correctly you remove a rocker arm off the front of the box and open up the pivot point half a mm (to 12.5mm I think) and that sorted it. Be even better if you opened it up further and pressed in a bearing instead of plastic bushing.

Power steering boiling over too I remember reading about, wasn't a problem for me on the road but tracking it I think the issue starts. As you say a relocation kit fixes it.

Great fun little toy..........enjoy!

Cool glad to have info from first hand. Aside of this few common issues I reckon it shouldn't be any major problems.

I had in past Suzuki Swift Sport converted to Turbo with Mfactory diff. Completely transforms the car. I can't imagine any more a fwd car without lsd. Without LSD it just feels like you are walking with wooden leg around.

Just to be on safe side, this arrived tonight 

IMG_20180920_214519.jpg

Edited by Snjur

Today I handed over car to a buddy who is in audio stuff.

He will install Pioneer MVH-A200VBT 2din radio and 4 2-Way coaxial speakers Ground Zero GZRF 65AL

Since I plan to install Quaife lsd next week and gearbox will be down I was in doubt for exhaust manifold and sport cat. So hopefully by Wednesday all be here

Got the car back from audio upgrade. Cool stuff and yeeeees, finally decent sound. Pioneer MVH-A200VBT 2din is a quite good bang for buck radio, Bluetooth connectivity, it can be used for phone calls too. Sound is very clean although without amplifier and woffer there is lack of bass. Since car is mainly DD and used for transportation of little toddler trunk will remain woffer free other wise no space stroller. We can make it up with exhaust

Thursday we are booked for installation of Quaife diff, since I got spare gearbox too we will inspect both and install one which is in better shape. 

New slave cylinder will be installed to avoid latter on any possibilities in any failures. I hope by Thursday I will receive Scorpion manifold and Sport cat plus tomorrow I will order PSA relocation kit together with oil cooler and 60mm throttle body. Would be nice to have all this parts before Thursday.

Once headers arrive plan is to wrap them in thermal tape to keep engine bay temps low as possible.

These are for now main bits and pieces for careless driving.

Remaining is intake and cams which will be done this winter.

Buddy who took over car for me did some measurements over some application and got power graph on delivery of car.

Tonight he did again run after remap.

Just a remap without any mods aside of KN and flexi 60mm from 149bhp to 162. Best ever spent 30 GBP in Tuning so far.

received_1743390485786864.jpeg

received_736125896732378.jpeg