Corvette C7 Stingray Residuals (2014 >)

hmale4yu

With confirmed rumours and spyshots  of a new Corvette C8 being revealed next year for potential early 2020 release, the current C7 base model (Stingray) seems to be dropping and now in the mid 40s

Whilst not a total bargain at the moment my feeling is that I might be tempted if it suddenly plummets later down the line once the C7 is unveiled (my current contract for the 370z Nismo expires is 2.5 yrs). The C7 is generally the only viable Corvette generation car that is complete in the sense that you do get a passable interior, reasonable MPG 

I do remember when the  previous C6 was the at the time the current Corvette and there really weren't that many to choose from in the country despite the Pound being a lot stronger to the dollar - I do think that this was partly due to the car itself being totally unviable for UK roads

What are your guys thoughts on a potential Corvette C7 purchase in 1-2 yrs time? As abstract as it sounds I still think it will be total head turner even with the new M3 on the market by then. What price would it come down to for you to be tempted. I do not think it has bottomed out and surprised the early 2014/15 are now mid 40s. Im guessing they will drop to late 30s once the new model is unveiled 

Untitled.jpg

Edited by hmale4yu

I expect the MR Vette with the V8 to sit significantly above the price of the FR V8, say in the £100k bracket, with the MR V6 to sit where the current model does. If so, expect residuals of the FR V8 to remain very firm, as who wants a V6 Corvette??

With Brexit still to hit as well, I think any guesses at values in 1-2 years are pie in the sky right now. Depending on your ’contract’ with Nissan, if Nismo values hold you can probably get out anytime you like tbh. 

I’d say the C7 is already an utter bargain, if you can live with LHD. 

I think it has potential to be an interesting buy. The main issue I think is the infotainment system reliability from what I've researched. I have yet to see one in the flesh but may well do some point this year and would be  keen on seeing how it compares seating position wise to my   370z  Nismo

1 hour ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

I didn't buy one because the GBP/USD dropped to 1.39 at the time, just after the referendum, although I had the deposit paid for it, which I lost. I was buying in USA.

GBP/USD is now 1.27, expect to see it 1.00 if there's no deal before March 2019 :surrender: 

Dont be so bitter Adrian, 52-48, is a victory :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

There will be a few factors that will/may play out in the following few yrs that will determine the depreciation of the C7 Stingray 

1. Eventual release and cost of the C8 Corvette
  2. If the C8 is released in RHD as some rumours suggest: as a reference the previous generation mustang literally plummeted in value upon the release of the RHD current mustang 
  3. Value of pound as noted above

What are your thoughts on the F-type as an alternative? These are dropping now to the late 30ks mark. Is it me or do they not seem as special as when they first came out? 

A’m surprised that the success of the ‘global market’ Mustang, husnae been followed by more US manufacturers, a much wider market than the UK.  

Huving followed the Corvette at Le Mans for many years, A’d huv wan in a heartbeat, this is a heart oer heid decision, if ye’v  got the bottle for it, in RHD, wow!  Even if they compromise, as wae the 6G Mustang in a European market, and pitched at the right level price wise, to affirm a global market, it will be even more o a bargain than the 6G Mustang is.

id be at the front o the queue if it ever wis released in RHD

7 minutes ago, The G Man said:

A’m surprised that the success of the ‘global market’ Mustang, husnae been followed by more US manufacturers, a much wider market than the UK.  

Huving followed the Corvette at Le Mans for many years, A’d huv wan in a heartbeat, this is a heart oer heid decision, if ye’v  got the bottle for it, in RHD, wow!  Even if they compromise, as wae the 6G Mustang in a European market, and pitched at the right level price wise, to affirm a global market, it will be even more o a bargain than the 6G Mustang is.

id be at the front o the queue if it ever wis released in RHD

yea the second hand market for LHD mustangs really became a buyers market since the RHD release. I do actually remember pre RHD mustang and the imported cars did hold their values relatively well. I do recall also there being a lot more on the market then Corvettes (maybe double); so I actually think it would be a bit more risky to for GM to release a RHD Corvette then Ford release a RHD Mustang taking into account UK Corvette demand doesn't match Mustang demand. The Mustang can be incorporated into practical family car and doesn't have the Porsche as a direct competitor. 

On a similar side note the success of the Mustang is pronounced compared to the poor sales past few years that of the Camaro. So much in the US in fact that Camaro values are really taking a hit over here. Wont be long till the current generation Cameo will drop. I actually anticipate this to drop first into a tempting price point before the C7 Corvette. 

Edited by hmale4yu

For a while, the 6G Mustang outsold Porsche in Germany, so a proven ‘global market’ is invaluable, and the point regards the Camaro is well put.  Why buy a LHD, when a comparative RHD car is available in the UK?

The Corvette, maybe a different proposition though, but pitched at @ £60-70k would put the bejesus up Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and Audi, that being said, with the impetus on electric cars, it may still find itself in a stifled market, but I’m sure it would be a runaway success

Im def going to be keeping on an eye on these in coming 24 months.

If by then 2014-2016 models drop to late £30ks/early 40ks with <15/20000 miles  then it would be v tempting eps when you consider £40k gets you a decade old Audi R8 4.2 with similar miles currently 

Edited by hmale4yu