Drifters - can you help?

Keyser

Hi All,

I went on one of those drift experience days last weekend (bought it in January when they had a 60% "early bird" discount :thumbs: )

Normal sort of thing you expect from these things, not enough time in the car but better than some of the super-car experience days and given what I paid I'm not disappointed.

I went with a mate and we were chatting on the way back about the cost of it all, for a learner you can get a BMW and weld the diff and away you go for a very small investment, of course if you want to go big you can spend a lot of time and money to build a proper drift car.

Now I'm not saying I will take it any further than the drawing board but the biggest thing that leaves this dead in the water is Where can you go?

Apart from Tesco car park where can you actually go and practice? I'm not talking about after you can actually drift with some consistency I mean practice.

Plenty of quite good courses with 3 to 6 hours in a car 1 to 1 instruction, again fine but after that you would want to practice and I'm struggling to find places to do that in the South of England Dorset area.

Even in the Midlands where there is more companies doing instruction there are few "practice" days, a few "drift days" bit like a Track Day but I don't want a track to start on. I want a big area to get it wrong on :lol:

There used to be an event every week or so near Bournemouth airport but even if that is still running its access to the concrete walled circuit with 6 other drivers for 20 mins at a time, I think I would just annoy other drivers and no doubt smash the car up.

Is this the way of it or am I looking in the wrong places?

Any help or input appreciated.

2 hours ago, mattross1313 said:

The roundabout at the top of Ferndown Industrial  Estate is popular. When we had the bungalow we used to here them all the time practising until the small hours :dry:

I was thinking somewhere quieter maybe head out Blandford way??  :lol: 

This sort of make my point though - other than breaking the law where do you go?

I don't mind paying but I can't find a place to go ............ yet :)

• Haha 1

Drifting in the south is dieing fast most practise day locations left are North of brum .To my knowledge your closest would be santa pod for the type of day your looking with pens to learn your craft as such. 

@Docrwa might know more dunno if matchams still runs but I belive that was a banger track which you want to avoid anyway and I don't blame you

You've either got full tracks like 3 sisters Pembrey teesside or banger racing dressed up as drifting at Buxton Birmingham wheels etc

Rock outer paddock days were a great learning place as is pod with little to hit but Rockingham is now unlikely to be with us much longer and pod Is well pod 

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

The reason I got out was there were so few places to go, that improved for a while but has just got crap again with the closure of Rockingham :(

Pembrey, Santa Pod, 3 Sisters, Driftland, Teeside, Buxton, Matchams and Birmingham Wheels are about the only places I know of now of those only Pembrey and Teeside are actual circuits. Dont worry about annpying other drivers, everyone has to start somewhere - Santa Pod is probably your best bet as they have 3 x circuits of different levels :thumbs:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keyser said:

Hi All,

I went on one of those drift experience days last weekend (bought it in January when they had a 60% "early bird" discount :thumbs: )

Normal sort of thing you expect from these things, not enough time in the car but better than some of the super-car experience days and given what I paid I'm not disappointed.

I went with a mate and we were chatting on the way back about the cost of it all, for a learner you can get a BMW and weld the diff and away you go for a very small investment, of course if you want to go big you can spend a lot of time and money to build a proper drift car.

Now I'm not saying I will take it any further than the drawing board but the biggest thing that leaves this dead in the water is Where can you go?

Apart from Tesco car park where can you actually go and practice? I'm not talking about after you can actually drift with some consistency I mean practice.

Plenty of quite good courses with 3 to 6 hours in a car 1 to 1 instruction, again fine but after that you would want to practice and I'm struggling to find places to do that in the South of England Dorset area.

Even in the Midlands where there is more companies doing instruction there are few "practice" days, a few "drift days" bit like a Track Day but I don't want a track to start on. I want a big area to get it wrong on :lol:

There used to be an event every week or so near Bournemouth airport but even if that is still running its access to the concrete walled circuit with 6 other drivers for 20 mins at a time, I think I would just annoy other drivers and no doubt smash the car up.

Is this the way of it or am I looking in the wrong places?

Any help or input appreciated.

Totally agree with you Chris. Your not allowed to drift at any organised track days or any of the time slots at the shows we attend.

Unless you have mega deep pockets and can exclusively hire a race track for the day then where can you gain experience. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just watched a pod cast from the guys that run driftland and from the sounds of it most places are trying to discurage people with bangers learning to drift on their tracks. They prefer people to have half decent cars that they look after to avoid attracting yobs who smash into other people without a care. The only problem is as you say people have to start somewhere and no point spending a fortune if you end up disliking it.

You might want to try a stock car track? If not an old runway, you might find some places are known for certain things but put on drift days too (crail being one up in scotland).

1 hour ago, evilscorp said:

I have just watched a pod cast from the guys that run driftland and from the sounds of it most places are trying to discurage people with bangers learning to drift on their tracks. They prefer people to have half decent cars that they look after to avoid attracting yobs who smash into other people without a care. The only problem is as you say people have to start somewhere and no point spending a fortune if you end up disliking it.

You might want to try a stock car track? If not an old runway, you might find some places are known for certain things but put on drift days too (crail being one up in scotland).

There is a difference between stock e36 with a welded diff and something that the local banger boys found in the yard. Basically it should be road worthy which tbh any car going on track should be. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 350_Jer said:

https://straightlinersonline.co.uk/events/category/55-2016-drag-drift-dates.html

This any good? Keep meaning to pop down there and have a look, see if it's worth booking up for a bit of fun

This one was mentioned to me by @Jetpilot this week, bit closer - may have to go check it out :)

• Like 1

On 31/08/2018 at 21:00, 350_Jer said:

https://straightlinersonline.co.uk/events/category/55-2016-drag-drift-dates.html

This any good? Keep meaning to pop down there and have a look, see if it's worth booking up for a bit of fun

Ive never heard of them, they dont seem to offer any drift days as such and only seem to have Elvington which I thought stopped drifting ages ago. 

These are the lads for me http://flatoutfactory.com/learntodrift.html - all top guys, all ex Comp drivers and 4 venues on offer :)