Plenum spacer?

Hi people, about to remove my plennum to replace with a polished one. No mods at all so far. I'm guessing it'd be the best time to consider a spacer if I'm gonna. Heard from a friend that there's only gains to be had from fitting a spacer on the 06 model and above. Mine being a 55 plate I thought I best consult the experts. Any advice?

cheers

Your friend has told you the complete opposite of what is correct :lol: 

The spacer gives good gains by itself on the DE engines (2002-2006).

It still gives good gains on the rev-up engines (2006-2007) but has to be combined with a modified lower plenum like the motordyne MREV2 . 

Finally, it's useless on the HR engines (2007 onwards) because their inlet manifold is redesigned and doesn't suffer from the same airflow restriction the DE's do. 

If you're not sure if you've got a DE or rev-up then the easiest way to check is just have a look where the redline for the revs starts- the DE redlines at 6.5k whereas it's 7k on the rev-up. :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

As above. HR has dual intakes, DE doesn’t.Make sure you follow the right order when removing and re torquing the plenum bolts as per the guide.Its not just the case of unbolting them all.

Edited by Payco

I'd imagine any spacer you buy will come with a set of instructions, my Motordyne one did anyways. In terms of what manufacturer to go for, the kit is pretty simple (essentially just a thick gasket & some bolts/spacers) so I'd imagine they're all similar. Think @reeceybeaney is on about making his own for some forum members so might be worth giving him a shout. 

Keep in mind a 5/16 inch spacer let's you keep the oem strut brace, anything bigger than that and it won't fit without hitting the plenum/bonnet! 

Edited by Jack94
  • Thanks 1

Cheers, so 5/16 recommended? Possible gains? I’ve got a standard air box but I’m hoping to move to a popcharger as they seem to be what you guys on here are going with. Are you guys shopping at a preferred supplier for most of your gear? I was hoping tarmac sports would be kind to me lol

That's what I've got and I think most people go for. As for gains, Google is your friend, there's tons of info out there. 

Popular opinion seems to be the 06 onwards standard airbox with a decent drop in filter gives the best performance, but a lot of people still go for cone filters or CAIs like the popcharger for the bling/noise. 

You won't go wrong with any of the member traders on here like Torqen, tarmacsportz etc. 

• Like 1