cs2000

350z & 370z Full TCS & VDC Disable With Memory

2 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

1) Is it possible to turn these aids off without having the light up on the dash? Have a status light on the control to indicate if its active or not instead? Not having the dash lit up like a christmas tree on track would be nice - black electrical tape over the dash lights is the easiest solution ;)

2) Why do you want abs enabled? Its intrusive on track and undesirable. The Z's system cuts in very early and is a slow operator, you can brake far harder and later with it off. Could you make a control that includes abs control too?  - I'd say that having ABS on doesn't interfere much with drifting / "spirited driving" on the road, or indeed most amateurs on track. I think this mod is aimed more at people who want a little bit of fun, being able to accelerate properly and kick the back end out occasionally, without having to press the traction control button every time, while keeping the extra safety of having ABS on.

Arguably, if you want all driver aids off, it might make more sense to just disconnect the ABS module / fuse, ideally with a switch, but that just needs a switch and 2 wires, so doesn't make much sense to integrate into a PCB circuit. It could be run in parallel with this module however (just 2 wires and a switch), allowing the user to progressively disable the assists:

- OEM Button under dash for TCS off

- cs2000's module for VDC and TCS off

- Your own separate switch for all systems off

• Like 1

Hey @350Butcher. Theirs no way around the fault lights on the dashboard I’m afraid. They’re automatically displayed as soon as your fail the system like I’m doing or use ANY of the other methods out there. The only way to disable them is to re-enable the system again. Plus I think they’re a good reminder that you’re in DEFCON5 attack mode lol !

@OnlyAfro is correct. 99% of people will still want ABS. This is aimed at the amateur who tracks their car and just wants the other nanny features disabling for this short time period. Personally if you need the ABS turning off too, I’d say you’re driving at a higher level and are likely to have a full track car build where all these systems are already disabled anyway. The whole point was to allow “normal” drivers a bit of extra freedom without the fear of locking brakes too. :) hope that helps.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cs2000 said:

Hey @350Butcher. Theirs no way around the fault lights on the dashboard I’m afraid. They’re automatically displayed as soon as your fail the system like I’m doing or use ANY of the other methods out there. The only way to disable them is to re-enable the system again. Plus I think they’re a good reminder that you’re in DEFCON5 attack mode lol !

@OnlyAfro is correct. 99% of people will still want ABS. This is aimed at the amateur who tracks their car and just wants the other nanny features disabling for this short time period. Personally if you need the ABS turning off too, I’d say you’re driving at a higher level and are likely to have a full track car build where all these systems are already disabled anyway. The whole point was to allow “normal” drivers a bit of extra freedom without the fear of locking brakes too. :) hope that helps.

I thought that would be the case but thought I’d ask in case there was a way round it. To be honest on track I’m concentrating on other things than the lights but see them in the vids when I watch them back, plus on occasion I leave everything off on the road where I notice the lights being on a lot more. 

I only asked as I would say the VCD starts to interrupt at about the same level as the ABS starts to make itself known. If you drive underneath this level then it’s only the TC that really interrupts progress or enjoyment of a bit of oversteer and Nissan have already provided a switch to turn just that off. 

As always these things are personal and there’s clearly people who want it so I wish you well with your  well invented solution to provide this for people. 

• Like 1

Question, could it be wired up in such a way that the OEM switch is used?

Edited by longsh07
Cannot English today.

Indeed it could. It would be something you’d have to do on your own, but your just have to pull the OEM switch out of the dash, figure out which 2 of the 3 wires are the switch contacts by using a multimeter  (think theirs 3 wires) and then extend the wires from my module to the OEM switch, dead simple :)

• Thanks 1

@rickdon - Since you asked the question, and anyone else with a 370. Keyser and i have been chatting and he has kindly been taking apart his 370 to do some research for me. 

Turns out this hack works in exactly the same way in the 370 and as such my module can support both 350z and 370z with no difference in the module design, hardware or coding, just a different install guide which is amazing.

Il update the original post with the info and Keyser will be getting a module to fit for me so we have photos and a full guide for the 370 install too.

So, 370 guys, get in on this too!

New list with car models on it

1. DOOM! (350z)

2. daisyduke (350z)

3. longsho7 (350z)

Edited by cs2000
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cs2000 said:

@rickdon - Since you asked the question, and anyone else with a 370. Keyser and i have been chatting and he has kindly been taking apart his 370 to do some research for me. 

Turns out this hack works in exactly the same way in the 370 and as such my module can support both 350z and 370z with no difference in the module design, hardware or coding, just a different install guide which is amazing.

Il update the original post with the info and Keyser will be getting a module to fit for me so we have photos and a full guide for the 370 install too.

So, 370 guys, get in on this too!

New list with car models on it

1. DOOM! (350z)

2. daisyduke (350z)

3. longsho7 (350z)

4. Rickdon (370z)

brilliant work guys! added my name to the list..

• Like 1

Just a quick update guys. I’ve received an email saying the PCB’s have been dispatched today, hopefully receive them within a week. Il make up the ones I have for the 4 guys on my list and of course I need to get Keyser his so I can get the 370 guide written.

@rickdon i assume you’re ok to wait for Keyser to write the instructions first so yours will be sent later, shouldn’t be too much later as we already have most of the photos etc, just not physically installed one into a 370 yet or got proper photos of the install steps

5 hours ago, cs2000 said:

Just a quick update guys. I’ve received an email saying the PCB’s have been dispatched today, hopefully receive them within a week. Il make up the ones I have for the 4 guys on my list and of course I need to get Keyser his so I can get the 370 guide written.

@rickdon i assume you’re ok to wait for Keyser to write the instructions first so yours will be sent later, shouldn’t be too much later as we already have most of the photos etc, just not physically installed one into a 370 yet or got proper photos of the install steps

Yes i am happy to wait, in no rush :)

• Thanks 1

would love one of these if you could add the function to disable to the brake lights so you can do burnouts as well

50 minutes ago, Phil739 said:

would love one of these if you could add the function to disable to the brake lights so you can do burnouts as well

It’s possible, but not going to be looking at this for a while yet.

from my research, the American guy KP Technologies, did offer something to disable the feature so you could retain brake lights but do burnouts, but he was getting horribly inconsistent results when he sent 5 modules to customers, I don’t want the same issue so not sure if it’s something I would Persue, we will see. For example is 100% doesn’t work if you have an auto.

the issue is that you can’t just turn “off” the brake signal by cutting a wire or wiring in a switch. If the car is moving and the ECU doesn’t see a “brake” signal for a while, it will throw a MIL on the dashboard. You have to put something inbetween which sees your brake input, sends the signal to the ECU as normal for a split second, then removes the signal again so you can do a burnout, not simple to do, but like I said, possible.

Edited by cs2000