350z & 370z Full TCS & VDC Disable With Memory

cs2000

Hi all,

Our Z's have Traction control as standard, this can be temporarily disabled by pressing the TCS button under the steering wheel, but it comes back on again next time you start the car.

They also have what Nissan call Vehicle Dynamic Control. The VDC system controls the brakes to help prevent wheels from slipping. Whilst for road use this is all well and good, it means for things like track days or drift events, or even just some "spirited driving" that if you're really pushing the limits, the car can apply brakes on individual wheels to correct what it perceives to be an upcoming spin or loss of traction. This is not what you want if you're hooning around and wanting to have some fun. Sadly this cannot be disabled with the button under the steering wheel.

Various methods exist for doing this such as pulling fuses, but they're all a but lacking in my opinion, they all disable your brake lights and also some disable your ABS which you don’t want, so i've designed this.

363674787_3-w9NqD1.jpeg.9fc8ddda419942a201cdbde0feecdb87.jpeg

This is a custom PCB and circuit which automatically disables BOTH the TCS and VDC features on the car at the simple press of a button but leaves your ABS system alone. The clever part is it remembers if you disabled them and will automatically disable them for you next time you start the car. Great if you're doing a track day and have a few sessions booked!

It doesn't trigger any check engine lights and doesn't interfere with any other features on the car. As a bonus, the 370z will still start in key-less mode which also doesn't work if you just pull the fuse like other guides will tell you to do.

How Does It Work?

Start up the car and you will see the LED button light up. Notice your TC and Slip lights go out on the dashboard as normal after a few seconds.

Briefly press and release the button (no need to hold it, just a quick press), a relay will click and the button's LED will turn off. You will now have the TCS and Slip lights illuminated on your dashboard, meaning the Traction Control and Vehicle Dynamic Control stability aids are fully disabled.

If you now turn the car off, wait a second and turn it back on again you’ll notice the relay clicks again and automatically disables the stability features for you!

To re-enable them simply press and release the button again and the button LED will once again illuminate. Now turn the ignition off and on again and the TC and Slip lights will turn off on your dash. Traction and Vehicle Dynamic Control are now re-enabled just like normal.

How Do I Know What's Going On?

If the button is illuminated AND you have NO TSC/Slip lights on your dashboard, then the TCS & VDC systems are enabled (Like standard).
If the button is not illuminated you DO have TSC/Slip lights on your dashboard, then the TCS & VDC systems are disabled.
If the button is illuminated but you STILL have TSC/Slip lights on your dashboard, then the TCS & VDC systems have been previously disabled and you have pushed the button to enable them again, you need to re-start the car to enable them and get back to Standard mode.

Theirs nothing else like this out there, definitely worth having if you like to drive hard or track your Z. As mentioned, it leaves the factory ABS system functional so you get the best of both worlds, ABS isn’t something you retain when you just pull the fuse.

Custom Button & LED Colours

As for the button, you can mount it wherever you want, theirs plenty of slack on the wires for you to do this. The decision is left to you.

The supplied button is a solid metal silver switch with a red indicator LED. However! If the button isn't to your taste, you can easily replace it with your own button and LED.

Full detail on this is included in the installation guide.

I have a full colour guide written for the 350z and Keyser has helped write the 370z one, you need no special tools, literally a screwdriver, some pliers, a bit of insulation tape, a drill (for the button hole) and about 30 mins of time.

If you want one, hop onto my website https://www.cs2000-z-tech.co.uk/collections/350z-compatible-modules/products/full-tcs-vdc-disable-with-memory and get your order placed! You can use discount code "350zuk" for 10% off of any item!

Happy to answer any questions!

Price is £55.00 + £4.95 postage (First Class signed for)

In the package:

1x Assembled VDC/TSC Disable Board

1x Colour Installation Guide (Please specify if you have a 350z or a 370z) (This is provided by a PDF link to save on paper)

1x Metal Switch with Red LED

Edited by cs2000
Images
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Daisyduke - in the original post I touched on it. You need basic tools. You’re temoving the plastic where the handbrake lever is, tapping into one wire and splitting another one in half. All described with PIN numbers in case the colours are different, very very simple!

@rickdon if they use the same module, It would work, but I’ve got absolutely no idea on that. Not even got a mate with a 370 I could tinker on.

10 hours ago, rickdon said:

awesome mod! wish you could do them for the 370z also.

7 hours ago, cs2000 said:

@Daisyduke - in the original post I touched on it. You need basic tools. You’re temoving the plastic where the handbrake lever is, tapping into one wire and splitting another one in half. All described with PIN numbers in case the colours are different, very very simple! 

@rickdon if they use the same module, It would work, but I’ve got absolutely no idea on that. Not even got a mate with a 370 I could tinker on.

What do you need to know about on the 370? I can probably check it out and possibly bring mine over so you can have a tinker :)  :thumbs:

Cracking Mod though :thumbs:

Really interested in this, was reading about the fuse pull method on one of the track day threads.

Question though, how does this affect the ABS? My understanding was that pulling the fuse or breaking the circuit with a switch caused the ABS system to become inoperable too.  Does your board get around this somehow?

@Keyser Appreciate the comments, Bournemouth's a little far for you to come though haha! If theirs any chance you could dig around and try and see if the 370 has a Yaw sensor, find out where this is (likely to be in a similar location TBH as it needs to be mounted flat and central to the car usually.

Also if you could probe the pins with a multi meter and find out which is ground and which is 12v. Last, if you unplug the module connector does it disable VDC & TCS until you turn the car back on. If it all checks out, id be happy to send you a module if you wanna try installing it and send me some pics back so i can do a 370 guide.

The Yaw sensor in our Z's is funnily enough used in other vehicles (some Volvo's use the same sensor) so its an off the shelf part and i suspect they'd use the same or a very similar version in the 370.

@longsh07 I havnt actually tested this yet. I took a quick drive with the module fitted yesterday but it was absolutely throwing it down yesterday and i had my fiance in the car so couldn't really test anything, but i do aim to check that. I need to get fuel tonight so will hopefully test it if the weather plays ball. I dont fancy locking up 4 wheels in the rain!

Im hoping that because my switch is momentary (the relay only removed ground from the yaw sensor for 1 second) that once it releases it will allow ABS to function again, but we will see and il update you. If it does do this, il make it clear in the original post. I know its a bit sparse on detail at the moment, but thats because i haven't has chance to 100% test everything or take photos of a "production" PCB, these will all come as soon as i have them ready.

I believe the fuse pull method does disable ABS as its a multi fuse which serves several systems, so mine shouldnt affect this. Il confirm later and update the original post :)

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is really excellent work, and I genuinely mean that. Mechanicals I can do, but electronics is wizardry to me so I find this amazing :) 

My only caveat would be that’s almost certainly going to be impossible to insure as a mod, as I’m struggling to think of how you’d describe it without the insurer running away in a panic :lol: 

3 hours ago, longsh07 said:

Really interested in this, was reading about the fuse pull method on one of the track day threads.

Question though, how does this affect the ABS? My understanding was that pulling the fuse or breaking the circuit with a switch caused the ABS system to become inoperable too.  Does your board get around this somehow?

It won't affect ABS, disconnecting the yaw sensor is just for VDC.

To disable ABS (and VDC + TCS), the easiest way it to unplug (or switch a wire of) the cylindrical connector from the ABS module. That way your handbrake light won't come on and low brake fluid warnings will still be operable.

As for burnouts, @Daisyduke, they require the brake switch signal to be disconnected to prevent the brake-throttle limiter kicking in. Most people pull / switch the fuse, but that causes you to lose your brake lights. In order to keep your brake lights, the best way is to intercept the signal to the ECU (I think it's pin 122) and install a switch.

I'm sure cs2000 could add functionality for swtiching ABS and burnouts :thumbs:

7 minutes ago, OnlyAfro said:

It won't affect ABS, disconnecting the yaw sensor is just for VDC.

To disable ABS (and VDC + TCS), the easiest way it to unplug (or switch a wire of) the cylindrical connector from the ABS module. That way your handbrake light won't come on and low brake fluid warnings will still be operable.

Correct but disconnecting the yaw sensor apparently throws the whole system out, including ABS as was discussed here by @350Butcher which is why I was wondering if even CS's brief momentary cut would cause the same thing to happen.

Edited by longsh07

4 minutes ago, longsh07 said:

Correct but disconnecting the yaw sensor apparently throws the whole system out, including ABS as was discussed here by @350Butcher which is why I was wondering if even CS's brief momentary cut would cause the same thing to happen.

That thread references pulling the fuse, whereas cs2000's module just intercepts the yaw sensors module.

Disconnecting:

- The "stability" fuse, just like unplugging the ABS module, disables everything.

- The yaw sensor (in the centre tunnel), just disables VDC.

- The brake switch signal just disables the brake-throttle limiter.

- The brake fuse disables brake-throttle limiter and your brake lights.

Hope that clarifies things.

2 minutes ago, OnlyAfro said:

That thread references pulling the fuse, whereas cs2000's module just intercepts the yaw sensors module.

Pulling the fuse was discussed but the specific post I linked refers to installing a switch on the yaw sensor done by @GodISmE

If you fit a switch to the power to the G sensors then its throws out the whole system, just the same as removing the fuse. Same result either way.

Have you tested interrupting the yaw sensor? Everything I've read is to the contrary in that is all gets disabled.

@Daisyduke - It will allow burnouts as in the traction control is disabled, but (my current understanding is that) ABS is 100% unaffected so its likely the car wont let you hold the throttle and the brake, its not a system i want to interfere with. I could indeed add a second relay set and more pins and intercept the signal going to the ECU (effectively hold a second relay open for the whole time the VDC/TCS stuff is disabled). Its not a LOT of extra work or coding, but its NOT the aim of this module. Maybe in the future, but not soon, i already have 3 electronics projects on the go, thats enough on my plate for now :) 

It will be somewhere around 7-10 days until i have everything (if the slow boat from china sails fast), but stick your name on the list and il hold you a module as long as youre sure.

@Keyser - Appreciate it mate, drop me a PM when you have some info and we will go from there. Be amazing if this works in both generations of car!

@Ekona - Haha thanks mate. Dont take this the wrong way, but when i saw you had posted i was wondering what your reaction would be. Lets say youre not afraid of expressing your opinion, means a lot! I think its one of those things that you couldn't really declare. I doubt any insurer would be happy with you messing with OEM safety features. But thats up-to whoever buys these things to figure out and declare of they choose to or not.

@OnlyAfro & @longsh07- Thanks for confirming. I have been checking the service manuals and referencing my dashboard lights and im now 99% sure that ABS isnt affected, i will still test this tonight and confirm with real life experience however. Pulling the fuse 100% disables ABS as they share a fuse, but in not faulting over the entire ABS/TCS/VDC computer. By doing what im doing, im triggering a fault in the yaw sensor. The ABS/TCS/VDC computer detects this and disables the stability aids but leaves ABS enabled. Lets leave it at that for now :) , dont want to cause any heated discussions and i do actually want this thread to be aimed at selling these things

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, cs2000 said:

i do actually want this thread to be aimed at selling these things

@cs2000 its free promotion, keeping your thread top of the unread list :lol:. Appreciate where you are coming from though so will leave it at that.

@OnlyAfro, feel free to PM me if you have any further info on this :thumbs:, always interested in know more about our cars!

Edited by longsh07
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, longsh07 said:

@cs2000 its free promotion, keeping your thread top of the unread list :lol:. Appreciate where you are coming from though so will leave it at that.

@OnlyAfro, feel free to PM me if you have any further info on this :thumbs:, always interested in know more about our cars!

After all this discussion, i assume youre interested if ABS is confirmed as working?!? lol

Just now, cs2000 said:

After all this discussion, i assume youre interested if ABS is confirmed as working?!? lol

Nah, just killing time :lol:... of course I am, its such a brilliant idea! :thumbs:

Honestly it's not a priority for me right now but I'm keen to get my car on track (with ABS preferably) :teeth:

• Haha 1

Evening all, so I am confirm my module disables traction control and vehicle dynamic control Without having any negative effect on the cars ABS system.

ABS brakes still function even when all other stability aids are disabled.

il update the original post tomorrow but at least that’s now laid to bed !

• Thanks 1

Just seen and read all this. Good electronic skills sussing all this out and making it work! While I personally have no issue at all in pulling a fuse so easily accessed, I see the appeal of having a tidy control in the car to turn off these unwanted aids.

Couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to turn these aids off without having the light up on the dash? Have a status light on the control to indicate if its active or not instead? Not having the dash lit up like a christmas tree on track would be nice and

2) Why do you want abs enabled? Its intrusive on track and undesirable. The Z's system cuts in very early and is a slow operator, you can brake far harder and later with it off. Could you make a control that includes abs control too?