Clutch problem

lct

Hi, the other day after a bit of, erm, less than gentle driving there was a funny smell coming from my Z which at i dismissed as the brakes being a bit warm and thought nothing of it.

Anyway yesterday I'm driving my car for the first time since and after about 20 mins the clutch has lost some resistance and isn't fully springing back up, it was coming about half way up then I was having to bring it back up by sticking my foot underneath. Once it cooled down it felt and behaved normally again.

I've done a lot of searching on this and I've read a lot about the slave cylinder going and upgrading the hose and it's a bit confusing because I gather cooked clutch fluid and the slave cylinder going give off similar symptoms. I drive it again today and once warm the pedal started to lose resistance and feel light a little bit for the first half of the press or something.

Is it likely that given the smell after hard driving that I've cooked the fluid and that a simple drain and change/upgrade to Motul 660 will sort things out? 

I know some might say to just do the cylinder anyway but I'm not all that equipped to do this myself so would prefer to not take on extra costs if it's likely to be bad fluid. I've checked and the levels are fine but it's black in colour. Don't know if normal?

Any advice appreciated, cheers.

Cheers, can I cause any damage driving as is? I've ordered the fluid and booked it in for just that Wednesday. Need my car pretty much every day for 2 weeks after that for work. So if I order the slave and hose as well it won't come in time and I'll need to put the whole job off. He said around an hours labour for the bleed/fluid change - how much extra time is the slave/hose replacement likely to add to that?

Excellent. CMS isn't the most user friendly, but I managed to place an order. Hope you're getting a cut of it ;) In my order history both the slave and the hose are showing as 2003-2005 despite having specified and ordered for 2005-2006. Is it because they take the same part? 

I bought a Stoptech slave last year before I changed the fluid 'just in case'. My issue was a little air in the fluid from the cylinder change months previously by the dealer I bought my Z from. Spent about 15 mins bleeding the system in July last year with my dad in the car & all has been well since, even sat in traffic in this hot weather, which is when the problem shows itself the most. 

I took notes from this forum on how to do it knowing how tricky it can be, all the info helped. It's all down to that valve behind the wheel arch liner, not sure what it actually does or if it's even necessary.. But there is a YT video of it being deleted & a straight through line being fitted.

Mines seems to have returned to normal since the problem arose the other day. I've spent 140 quid on parts and fluid that haven't arrived yet and it seems to have been a one off. Don't know whether to keep hold of the bits and see of it resurfaces or to just get it done anyway.