370Z Price Tanking?!

HRAB

Bought a 350 about 5 years ago. Sold it a year on for a similar price. 

Bought my 370 2 years ago and the prices people are putting up online seem really quite low! I don’t think I over paid at the time. 

Am I just imagining it?!

The 350 is at the bottom of it's depreciation, it can't get any lower and good examples are now harder to find so command a slight premium, meanwhile the 370 is still falling and is going to have a ways to go. Is yours new? If so it's always going to have a steep drop.

Nah mines not new. 60 plate. I’m just surprised at how quickly and by the level of drop in value.  I’d expect it more for the newer cars. I guess I was kind of hoping the older 370s were close to their bottom as the 350s are.

Seems doubtful, cheapest 370z's on autotrader are still 10k which is someway above a 350. Ultimately they're all big engined cars which seem to put people off these days. I bought my 350z for 8k 7 years ago so even if it's halved in value it's still a bargain and it's taken 7 years to halve it's value. The newer the car the steeper the drop.

I can’t see the 370 dropping to 350 values though. I think the 370 will always be the more expensive car hence why I would surprised if the value continues to drop significantly. 

I guess my real question is what is causing the recent significant drop? Fuel prices? MPG? Brexit!!!??? :lol:

I think if you compare the same age cars then they'll get pretty close in price eventually.

What are you calling a big drop? I have a BMW 650i Gran coupe it was £89,000 new 5 years ago, i bought it for less than 1/3rd of that, big engines cars will always drop fast.

48 minutes ago, HRAB said:

I can’t see the 370 dropping to 350 values though. I think the 370 will always be the more expensive car hence why I would surprised if the value continues to drop significantly. 

I guess my real question is what is causing the recent significant drop? Fuel prices? MPG? Brexit!!!??? :lol:

I am curious as to why you dont think the 370 will drop down to 350z prices, they werent that much more expensive when new so only stands to reason they will get close and if you check sales figures, they werent that popular, you could see that two ways i guess, fewer on the market/rarer so less choice and values will steady or they arent going to suddenly gain in popularity so a smaller market place of buyers and prices will drop.

I asked a similar question sometime back about depreciation, cars i have been watching have come down over the last 6 months and that was cars that have been firm on price for at least a year or more, i am thinking its just down to general age. If you do a search with a budget of 10-12k, there a lot of very desirable high end cars (Porsche, BMW, Merc etc) in there that have crept into 370z budget so thats going to have a knock on effect too. Perhaps also worth considering there are some stonking deals on new high end stuff thats also drawing people away and driving prices down.

Looking at some of Japanese stuff, S2000, Skylines, S bodies, Supras (now worth more than 350's and some worth more than 370's) there will be a crossover point and a 350 will worth more than a 370 in a good few years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

I am curious as to why you dont think the 370 will drop down to 350z prices, they werent that much more expensive when new so only stands to reason they will get close and if you check sales figures, they werent that popular, you could see that two ways i guess, fewer on the market/rarer so less choice and values will steady or they arent going to suddenly gain in popularity so a smaller market place of buyers and prices will drop.

I asked a similar question sometime back about depreciation, cars i have been watching have come down over the last 6 months and that was cars that have been firm on price for at least a year or more, i am thinking its just down to general age. If you do a search with a budget of 10-12k, there a lot of very desirable high end cars (Porsche, BMW, Merc etc) in there that have crept into 370z budget so thats going to have a knock on effect too. Perhaps also worth considering there are some stonking deals on new high end stuff thats also drawing people away and driving prices down.

Looking at some of Japanese stuff, S2000, Skylines, S bodies, Supras (now worth more than 350's and some worth more than 370's) there will be a crossover point and a 350 will worth more than a 370 in a good few years.

I think you're spot on there and the 350z will surely become more valuable than the 370z due to age and rareness.  Not for a while yet but it will almost certainly happen.  If you think that the earliest 350s are now 17 years old thy haven't got that long left until they crossover into that classic car bracket.

Im thinking another 8 yrs + for the 350z to go the way of the above mentioned, maybe sooner as since the early/mid 2000's there really hasnt been the choice like the 90's, i guess there is no guarantee though, but i would bet my left nut that in 8 yrs or less a 370z will be worth no more than 350z is now.

6 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

The 350 and 370 are very similar cars. I personally think if both cars were the same price that people would pick the 370 (not trying to start a flame war!!).  If that was the case then it would automatically push the 370 prices above the 350. That’s partly why I don’t think the price will drop below.

They sold fewer 370s for a number of reasons. I do think having fewer of these on the road should help maintain its price. I’m not sure you’ll see people buying 370s as cheap drift cars like the 350.

Yes I agree that the 350 is not far off being on the way up as a classic. If/when this happens i’m not convinced all 350s will be sought after. I’m not sure the low spec DEs would necassarily be up there. 

If the 350z and 370z were the same price?? You mentioning DE so theres a good age gap between the two vehicles, so thats not a fair comparison. Lots of folks will always want a newer car for the money, regardless if it's better or not. 

What will happen is the very tidy low mileage late example HR's will become more expensive than a tired condition very high mileage early 370z - choose from those pair what you will :thumbs:

This crossover has already been see for a good while now, for example the MK1 Ford Focus RS.

Edited by davey_83

7 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

What will happen is the very tidy low mileage late example HR's will become more expensive than a tired condition very high mileage early 370z - choose from those pair what you will :thumbs:

Low mileage HR's are already going for more than higher mileage 370s.

There's a few 370's on Autotrader for less thank 10k, and a few HR's with around 20-30k miles on for more than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

If the 350z and 370z were the same price?? You mentioning DE so theres a good age gap between the two vehicles, so thats not a fair comparison. Lots of folks will always want a newer car for the money, regardless if it's better or not. 

This was exactly my point. It’s not about a fair comparison, it’s about value of the cars. I believe people are more likely to choose a 370 over a 350 If the price was either the same or very close. This means that the 370 will not drop to the same level as the 350. 

In other words if we said that the average bottom end price, where the car no longer depreciates, was £3500 for a 350. I would be very surprised if the 370 ever hit that as an average bottom end price. Would a 370 ever be worth £3500 or less? 

I am generalising and of course you can get an HR at a higher price than cat C high mileage 370. I could well see the HR becoming the model sort after as a classic.

I don't follow you, as the 350z far out sold the 370z out the showrooms........ we've already established that today a 350z can be worth more than a 370z. You a plucking figures out of your back pocket...... Almost all 240z are worth more than a 280z........ entry Ferrari 599's are asking less than an entry 550M.... New doesn't ultimately mean more worth...... Time and demand determines values. 

Edited by davey_83

7 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

I don't follow you, as the 350z far out sold the 370z out the showrooms........ we've already established that today a 350z can be worth more than a 370z. You a plucking figures out of your back pocket...... Almost all 240z are worth more than a 280z........ entry Ferrari 599's are asking less than an entry 550M.... New doesn't ultimately mean more worth...... Time and demand determines values. 

The example was hypothetical. The figures were not supposed to be taken as fact, just used to demonstrate a point.

Of course there are plenty of examples of cars where older more sought after models have gone beyond newer in value. I am specifically talking about 350s versus 370s and that I don’t think, generally speaking, 370s will bottom out to the same point as 350s. 

Time and demand determines value. I agree.

This was more meant as a discussion about a recent drop in value and asking the reason.

11 hours ago, HRAB said:

The 350 and 370 are very similar cars. I personally think if both cars were the same price that people would pick the 370 (not trying to start a flame war!!).  If that was the case then it would automatically push the 370 prices above the 350. That’s partly why I don’t think the price will drop below.

They sold fewer 370s for a number of reasons. I do think having fewer of these on the road should help maintain its price. I’m not sure you’ll see people buying 370s as cheap drift cars like the 350.

Yes I agree that the 350 is not far off being on the way up as a classic. If/when this happens i’m not convinced all 350s will be sought after. I’m not sure the low spec DEs would necassarily be up there. 

So i detect a whiff of snobbery (see below) and rose tinted glasses towards your perception of the 370.

I am not sure why you think the de is "low spec", there is very little actual difference between a de, rev up and hr in terms of performance and looks, slight styling revisions and interior layout, trim levels are all near identical and a few more revs, i am not saying the hr is not the more appealing car for those changes but certainly wouldnt describe the de as "low spec". the 350z across all levels is a great car and not a million ways away from the 370. 

The 370z is a mass produced Japanese car, just like the 350, there is absolutely zero reason why it price wont continue to come down and there could well be a crossover point where 350's will be worth more than 370s, there are plenty of examples out there, 240z to 280z, r32gtr to r33gtr if we with Nissan, older cars worth more than their newer brothers, history suggests totally the contrary to what you think.

Prices are falling because thats what cars do (excluding a few exotica), the 370 is an old car with an old design platform, sorry my friend there is nothing special about it that will stave of depreciation, the only one that might fare better is the Nismo just because of low volume, if you dont think your 370 will go the way of the 350, you are in for a nasty shock. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

So i detect a whiff of snobbery (see below) and rose tinted glasses towards your perception of the 370.

I am not sure why you think the de is "low spec", there is very little actual difference between a de, rev up and hr in terms of performance and looks, slight styling revisions and interior layout, trim levels are all near identical and a few more revs, i am not saying the hr is not the more appealing car for those changes but certainly wouldnt describe the de as "low spec". the 350z across all levels is a great car and not a million ways away from the 370. 

The 370z is a mass produced Japanese car, just like the 350, there is absolutely zero reason why it price wont continue to come down and there could well be a crossover point where 350's will be worth more than 370s, there are plenty of examples out there, 240z to 280z, r32gtr to r33gtr if we with Nissan, older cars worth more than their newer brothers, history suggests totally the contrary to what you think.

Prices are falling because thats what cars do (excluding a few exotica), the 370 is an old car with an old design platform, sorry my friend there is nothing special about it that will stave of depreciation, the only one that might fare better is the Nismo just because of low volume, if you dont think your 370 will go the way of the 350, you are in for a nasty shock. 

Yup exactly this, the appeal of the 350 is the cost to entry for the power given and the availability of mods and parts, the 370 fairs a bit worse there and the looks are subjective, otherwise what's the real difference? They're very similar to drive, one has a slightly nicer interior and slight more modern styling but they're niche. I see the 350's having larger demand and therefore when prices bottom a higher demand.

50 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Really isn’t any snobbery here, apologies if you got that impression. I love both cars and would happily own another 350. 

I think you have missed the point I was making. At no point was I suggesting the 370 wouldn’t depreciate. In fact this whole thread has been about depreciation of the 370 and me asking why this appears to me to have happened more severely recently.

I was suggesting I don’t think the 370 will depreciate in the same way as the 350....just an opinion. I get the impression people are taking this as a personal attack on their 350s. It really isn’t meant as that and I hope isn’t being seen that way. Purely speculation on pricing!!

There is a reason the HRs are worth a fair bit more than a lot of DEs out there and it’s not purely age. When the 350s are a classic I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that the HRs will be more highly sought after.

17 minutes ago, MDMetal said:

Yup exactly this, the appeal of the 350 is the cost to entry for the power given and the availability of mods and parts, the 370 fairs a bit worse there and the looks are subjective, otherwise what's the real difference? They're very similar to drive, one has a slightly nicer interior and slight more modern styling but they're niche. I see the 350's having larger demand and therefore when prices bottom a higher demand.

The styling is definitely subjective (on both the 350 and 370) and I agree with you about the availability of the mods, although I would hope this will increase over time for the 370 as it did with the 350. 

What always hurts any model in a manufacturer's line up is the release of a newer version. 350 prices of course have gone right down but some say have held steady for the last 3/4 yes for good examples. What is arguably holding the 370's up is the fact that there's no Nissan replacement as yet. So to those not in the know a 10 plate can look like a 16 plate. But once there's a replacement a 16 plate can look like a 10 plate and prices will fall fast. 

9 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

What always hurts any model in a manufacturer's line up is the release of a newer version. 350 prices of course have gone right down but some say have held steady for the last 3/4 yes for good examples. What is arguably holding the 370's up is the fact that there's no Nissan replacement as yet. So to those not in the know a 10 plate can look like a 16 plate. But once there's a replacement a 16 plate can look like a 10 plate and prices will fall fast. 

Definitely expecting this to happen when the new Zed model is released (unless it ends up being some kind of SUV that’s only a Zed by name :lol:)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HRAB said:

The styling is definitely subjective (on both the 350 and 370) and I agree with you about the availability of the mods, although I would hope this will increase over time for the 370 as it did with the 350. 

They sold less of the cars so there isn't the same demand for mod's it's not a time issue it's a numbers one.

While the looks are subjective I think for most people the 350 sits in with a set of "classic" japanese car and the 370 is a little bit further away from that. Time will tell I guess

I think the other thing to bear in mind is the reason people awant to purchase either car.  Certainly the application it is to be used for by the purchaser is also going to have some level of influence over the future price of either the 350 or the 370.

For me personally there's a more emotional attachment to the 350 than the 370, but that's entirely down to getting to drive one on a track all those years ago and thinking "I need one of those!"  Its also older so therefore requires more jusitifiable maintenance and upgrades due to age of the OEM components. Yay modding time! :D

I love the 370 as well, it's a much better car in many ways but by that same token that means there's less to change or improve IMHO.  Vastly better interior for example and rev matching being two great assets for the 370, but then again would you prefer a full retrim and heel and toe in a 350?  Its down to the individual choice and neither is right or wrong and that's what makes these cars fantastic.

Over time as we go out to the far future I suspect there won't be much in it pricewise.  Both will be classic big engine RWD sportscars, they are just on different points of their curves and you see that with virtually everything.  Cars, bikes, furniture, computers, you name it they all start relatively at a high, drop low and when there's virtually none of them left become expensive again that's just the way the world works.