Pops & Bangs with stock cats

Kryptek49

Hi, I bought a 57 plate HR this week, the previous owner had the car UpRev mapped @ Abbey Motorsports,  and previously had Motordyne ART decats fitted.

The decats were removed on sale, and I am currently using the stock cats.

One of the 5 maps on the car is pops & bangs, which I believe dumps unburnt fuel into the exhaust to cause the sounds.

From what I've read, this would damage the stock cats? Would it be best not to use this feature at all then?

I'm tempted to get some HFC's for the car, but assume this would have the same issue as above? So the 2 choices are decats or don't use the P&B map?

Anyone got any advice on this? Thanks.

Yeah its pretty simple, it will break your cats, it happened to me. 

All the cats are is basically a roll of corrugated metal coated in something (platinum or something iiirc). The pops and bangs are literally un burnt fuel passing through the engine and exploding somewhere in the hot exhaust header. This constant high pressure of the explosion causes the cats to move and form a cone shape, eventually the cone will push out so far that the cat material will simply unravel and come flying out of your exhaust along with loads of black soot that was caught in the cat.

I had the Berks HFC's fitted, they lasted 6-7 months after my remap before they both exploded out of the rear of the car. Unfortunately for me the cat material got stuck where the single centre pipe splits to each exhaust with such force it basically welded itself into a solid lump, queue 2 hours of trying to extract a solid metal lump 18 inches up an exhaust pipe with no straight access to it. Not fun times!

Personally, im now running "decats" effectively. The berks HFC's are still there, but with no cat inside of the canisters.

Sounds like you've got the situation weighed up. I'd either leave the pops n bangs map alone or invest in some decats and find a "friendly" MOT tester. 

The art pipes are resonated so if you liked how the car sounded with them on I'd get something similar, traditional decats are a lot louder/raspier. 

20 minutes ago, cs2000 said:

Yeah its pretty simple, it will break your cats, it happened to me. 

All the cats are is basically a roll of corrugated metal coated in something (platinum or something iiirc). The pops and bangs are literally un burnt fuel passing through the engine and exploding somewhere in the hot exhaust header. This constant high pressure of the explosion causes the cats to move and form a cone shape, eventually the cone will push out so far that the cat material will simply unravel and come flying out of your exhaust along with loads of black soot that was caught in the cat.

I had the Berks HFC's fitted, they lasted 6-7 months after my remap before they both exploded out of the rear of the car. Unfortunately for me the cat material got stuck where the single centre pipe splits to each exhaust with such force it basically welded itself into a solid lump, queue 2 hours of trying to extract a solid metal lump 18 inches up an exhaust pipe with no straight access to it. Not fun times!

Personally, im now running "decats" effectively. The berks HFC's are still there, but with no cat inside of the canisters.

So basically don't use the setting! Got it :)

Only getting 6-7 months out of HFC's sucks a bit though! 

1 hour ago, Kryptek49 said:

So basically don't use the setting! Got it :)

Only getting 6-7 months out of HFC's sucks a bit though! 

Would have lasted a lot longer if i wasnt using pops and bangs. Mine is a DE however so i dont have switchable maps!

3 hours ago, OnlyAfro said:

Mine pops and bangs without a fancy map or decats :D

Same as me :teeth: pops and bangs when close to the redline on motordyne with art pipes. Such a loud gunshot love it haha

1 hour ago, PPod said:

Same as me :teeth: pops and bangs when close to the redline on motordyne with art pipes. Such a loud gunshot love it haha

The Abbey map (UpRev) only pops and bangs on low throttle application, like when youre slowing down if you hold the throttle open a tiny bit it rumbles, or if you do it at high RPM through a tunnel it sounds like World War 3 has kicked off! 

Also does it when you change up and down gears.

I know this is a public forum so let me state this, the van filming me was doing about 25-35 mph, I perhaps touched 53-4 once but as we all know the tunnel is average 50 so I stayed under this, the run was done under or at the speed limit at around 3AM, OK?! This was also for the short few months the car had cats on it, so its a bit louder now.

Randomly however with a nice quick high RPM change there is a nice bang from the rear, makes me giggle like a child!

Edited by cs2000

That sounds dreadful. The odd burble or pop is lovely, but that sounds as fake and nonsensical as the map Jag put on the F-Types.

Sorry man, not a fan of the noise there at all. Love the gfx on the side though, they're absolutely perfect to liven the exterior of the car up, seriously :thumbs: 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2018 at 16:30, Ekona said:

That sounds dreadful. The odd burble or pop is lovely, but that sounds as fake and nonsensical as the map Jag put on the F-Types.

Sorry man, not a fan of the noise there at all. Love the gfx on the side though, they're absolutely perfect to liven the exterior of the car up, seriously :thumbs: 

No worries mate, each to their own :) Glad you like the stripes though ;) 

On 01/08/2018 at 16:30, Ekona said:

I know its a different car but my 370z nismo did this with just short tails (no backbox) and everything else stock. And it was 2 -3 quick pops on downshift thats it....

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Never liked the pops and bangs sound unless maybe if you're in a something really exotic. I saw some idiot in a Fiesta ST popping and banging all the way down the high road a couple of days ago who thought he ruled the road and it sounded awful.

• Like 1